Do you like Psycho?  

503 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Psycho?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

I find it odd how Matt plays the little solo at the beginning live (Jools performance for example), kind of feels like he messes up the rythm.

Probably because I'm expecting it to be the same as the studio version, or something.

It's at quite an awkward rhythm to play, Matt comes in at quite a random time on the studio version. I don't really notice or blame him when it changes live, I expected it to happen when I first heard the song. I rarely time it exactly right when I play it.

OK so I was shuffling through Muse on Spotify and Stockholm Syndrone live at HAARP comes on. Near the end they start doing some free-style type rifts which is par for course at live performance. Then, at 6 minutes or so, on a track all the way back from freaking 2008, the Psycho riff starts playing!!!! Does this happen much with Muse toying with a riff but not having a song for it? Bizzare... :eek::stunned:

Yeah I had a feeling I'm not the first to notice this. Just caught me off guard a little. So why all of a sudden is it a song? Did they just finally feel like it fit in an album or what? It's very bluesy versus their usual rock/metal influences so it'd make sense for them to have trouble fitting it in. Also http://xkcd.com/1053/

Matt didn't wrote a song to it before because he tought it was "redneck", but Dom conviced him to do it for this album. Source one of those interviews in the recent months.

OK so I was shuffling through Muse on Spotify and Stockholm Syndrone live at HAARP comes on. Near the end they start doing some free-style type rifts which is par for course at live performance. Then, at 6 minutes or so, on a track all the way back from freaking 2008, the Psycho riff starts playing!!!! Does this happen much with Muse toying with a riff but not having a song for it? Bizzare... :eek::stunned:

The Glastonbury 2004 set contains Take A Bow, Supremacy's riff and Psycho's riff all well before they were recorded

Is nothing new TC. Muse do this all the time. This Psycho riff is around since the Showbiz times.

But also other songs, Take A Bow was played in the piano during the Absolution Tour, for example.

Hope this helps.

my first reaction to threads like this is obviously facepalming, then I remind myself that maybe op is a newer fan and isn't supposed to know about the 0305030 riff, but then I realize that op's been a fan for way longer than me and then I facepalm anyway.

Where's the supremacy riff? never noticed that one

Not exactly the same, Matt said pre-T2L release that there was a riff on the album that was inspired by the live CE pre-solo (lack of better word at the moment). You can hear it, not the same though.

Edited by Stewez