Do you like Psycho?  

503 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Psycho?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

gareeh, the sergeant would speak at the begin as I said, "your ass belongs to me now", and it's ok. But in the sung part it should be changed, because there is Matt that sings to the public....not the sergeant anymore... and If he wanted, he could not copy literally the sergeant, and obtain a better interpretation. That's why i think radio refused this song (luckyly), it's so rude... But if you think it's ok now, good for you.

serpent, what i meant is also if you listen to the song with someone else (not a muse fan), it's just ridiculous... that's why a lot of people cannot take this song seriously. Because it's just a song and that sentence repeated several times sounds ridiculous. I didn't expect this from Muse...

It's a pity that this song has a good meaning after all, but it has not the potencial to be spread to the public (radio refused it, understandably).

gareeh, the sergeant would speak at the begin as I said, "your ass belongs to me now", and it's ok. But in the sung part it should be changed, because there is Matt that sings to the public....not the sergeant anymore... and If he wanted, he could not copy literally the sergeant, and obtain a better interpretation. That's why i think radio refused this song (luckyly), it's so rude... But if you think it's ok now, good for you.

serpent, what i meant is also if you listen to the song with someone else (not a muse fan), it's just ridiculous... that's why a lot of people cannot take this song seriously. Because it's just a song and that sentence repeated several times sounds ridiculous. I didn't expect this from Muse...

It's a pity that this song has a good meaning after all, but it has not the potencial to be spread to the public (radio refused it, understandably).

If it was meant to be a more mainstream single, they would have treated it differently. I'm surprised by how well it's done, but it really has.

To be technical about it, it's not really "Matt" (the character) speaking in the song, it's still the POV of the drill sergeant, and the way the military treats its recruits.

I can't argue that the song is incredibly repetitive, though.

Bizarrely, Matt seems to make fun of that, or at least the riff, in multiple interviews.

But, as far as "Muse songs I'd be embarrassed if people knew I was listening to" it's actually surprisingly low on the list.

This one, if people can get past the "ass"es is potentially more offensive (for reasons other than cursing) than silly or embarrassing. At least lyrically.

Barring that, it's catchy as all hell (which, I suppose, explains the repetition) and the vocals are really good.

I've never been fussed by the use of "ass" though - it's so common here as to have nearly been downgraded from actually being a swear. I can use it at work, comically and seriously, and no one cares. But I could be fired for a single "fuck."

It has been played on a lot of radio stations, and has 10 million views on YouTube. I'm sure it reached just about as many people as they expected.

10 M views on youtube means nothing: most of them are fan. Should be better to reach all the military as possible (in a "friendly" version), not just the military that listen to muse. Btw, i read a post here from a military guy and it was great, i will report it later.

Anyway, Matt says hiself that this single is "too offensive for the radio"

http://www.nme.com/news/muse/83248

So he is well concerned about what he did.

Maybe some alternative/web radio played the single, but the official first single from the album is dead inside. Not this one.

Edited by museiki2

with the amount of actual offensive pieces of music out there, calling psycho offensive is pretty ridiculous imo. it's a silly song that's fun to jump along to, nothing more. and that would be okay if it wasn't muse, but I've just listened to take a bow, and, well.. :LOL:

The fact that he said they were putting out a song that it's too offensive for radio shows that he wasn't really bothered about it getting much airplay in the first place.

At the end of the day, Psycho was another 'controversial' song put out to get a reaction out of people (more of a positive 'wow old muse r back <33' one than a pure shock value one like Unsustainable) and generate hype for the album and I'm pretty sure it did that about as well as they'd have wanted.

10 M views on youtube means nothing: most of them are fan. Should be better to reach all the military as possible (in a "friendly" version), not just the military that listen to muse. Btw, i read a post here from a military guy and it was great, i will report it later.

Maybe some alternative/web radio played the single, but the official first single from the album is dead inside. Not this one.

He clearly isn't concerned at all. And psycho certainly didn't just reach the fans. It's been very talked about.

And yes the official first single is Dead Inside, your point being?

Why would we want this song, even a "friendly" version, to get to all the military?

Like Jobby said, though - the release of this song was clearly just fanservice and to get people talking.

Used a fan favorite riff repeatedly, had some swearing, and illustrated the three piece "heavy" nature they'd talked about with the new album.

Saying publically that it was "offensive" just made more people want to check it out.

If it was meant to be a more mainstream single, they would have treated it differently. I'm surprised by how well it's done, but it really has.

Sure, but they could have done much better with this song. I think that they have missed an opportunity in this way...and personally I think that they ruined that good riff, to be honest, i prefer to listen to it after stockholm syndrome...

To be technical about it, it's not really "Matt" (the character) speaking in the song, it's still the POV of the drill sergeant, and the way the military treats its recruits.

yes, I know, my point is another: he is singing a song, very ripetitive, where you can miss the real subject

I can't argue that the song is incredibly repetitive, though.

yep, no ideas there...

Bizarrely, Matt seems to make fun of that, or at least the riff, in multiple interviews.

i can imagine.... i am trying to singing it in my motherlanguage, and it sounds to me more ridiculous!! it's incredible this words in a song, i can't stop laugh :D:rolleyes::(

But, as far as "Muse songs I'd be embarrassed if people knew I was listening to" it's actually surprisingly low on the list.

to me, just this one, luckily, i will fast forward if someone will be in my car in that moment :D:$

This one, if people can get past the "ass"es is potentially more offensive (for reasons other than cursing) than silly or embarrassing. At least lyrically.

Barring that, it's catchy as all hell (which, I suppose, explains the repetition) and the vocals are really good.

Yes, i see. There is more in the song that can be offensive, but it's the thruth... some of them are puppets that follow the orders without thinking. So, this song could help them, and us, as well. Some others can think, but maybe they have not a lot of choises

I've never been fussed by the use of "ass" though - it's so common here as to have nearly been downgraded from actually being a swear. I can use it at work, comically and seriously, and no one cares. But I could be fired for a single "fuck."

same here, but i could be fired if i say to my superior "your ass is mine":LOL:

Why would we want this song, even a "friendly" version, to get to all the military?

Because military can kill people (civilian, too) under command, and don't go to jail.

So it would be very helpful if they think more about their work,

I know that this is just a song, but...who knows.

Like Jobby said, though - the release of this song was clearly just fanservice and to get people talking.

Used a fan favorite riff repeatedly, had some swearing, and illustrated the three piece "heavy" nature they'd talked about with the new album.

Saying publically that it was "offensive" just made more people want to check it out.

I hope so. I think i would have not known this song, if i wasn't a muse fan.

for example: i don't mind of britney spears, and i don't mind of her music, i know of her existance just because the radio and the tv. I will never go and look for her music, even if it's offensive, i really don't care of her...

:) but that's just my point of view

Does this seem stupid or weird to you guys

From my perspective as someone who loves muse and the song and will also be in a US military academy soon. As a future US military officer, I am opposed to war. Youre probably telling yourself, wait what this guy is an idiot. Hear me out. Most of the idiots in this country with no skin in the game have the loudest cries for invading here or "defending" there. These people, who unfortunately often have the loudest voices, just dont realize how costly war is and are way too generous with lives of someone's father/daughter/son/brother etc. I want to be an officer because I want to be the change I want to see, as cliche as that sounds. Things are never going to change unless new people are constantly involving themselves. Sorry if i look like an idiot after this

you don't look that to me, thanks for you post. I hope more people like you in the military system :)

I don't think a song would change the minds of people in the military, no matter how they presented it, "ass" or no.

neither I, but if there is no "ass", and maybe less swearing, this song would have been the first official single, and on radio/tv could have reached more people.

That's my point.

Then, if I don't like part of the lyrics of this rude song, it's just my "problem" but i can still make fun of it. I cannot hide that I would like to listen to a better version of this. Some people said that you get used to the bad lyrics, but i think i won't. To me sounds always ridiculous

:rolleyes:

Do you honestly think a Muse song is gonna make any difference? It's a point that has been made over and over for decades.

At a greater scale I don't know, but I tell you that: Muse changed my life in better, before them i was much ignorant. So I think that yes, it is possible to see some difference. Why not?

To think that this song would offer anything new or of value whatsoever to a decade old debate is ridiculous. Simple. And to think that a song like this is somehow needed to convince people that more thought-out and well-put arguments that has already been provided is frankly condescending. It's not children we're talking about.

if I don't like part of the lyrics of this rude song

ffs, have you actually listened to the songs that are out there nowadays? frankly, it's quite amusing how easily some people lose their shit after hearing "ass" and "fuck" like three times in a song :LOL:

ffs, have you actually listened to the songs that are out there nowadays? frankly, it's quite amusing how easily some people lose their shit after hearing "ass" and "fuck" like three times in a song :LOL:

I completely agree with you here :) I was happily surprised to hear these "bad words" in the song, I love 'em! I don't understand this whole discussion...we live in the 21st century and not in, like, 1950???!!!!

i know, i know, but that stuff usually is not from muse. Get the difference?

I completely agree with you here :) I was happily surprised to hear these "bad words" in the song, I love 'em! I don't understand this whole discussion...we live in the 21st century and not in, like, 1950???!!!!

cool, we are in the 21st century and we are rude and say bad words, so this is called... evolution...! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

To think that this song would offer anything new or of value whatsoever to a decade old debate is ridiculous. Simple. And to think that a song like this is somehow needed to convince people that more thought-out and well-put arguments that has already been provided is frankly condescending. It's not children we're talking about.

I never said that this song is needed to convince people. where did I?

I never said that this song would offer something new at the subject, where did I?

I just said:

[...]So it would be very helpful if they think more about their work,

I know that this is just a song, but...who knows

bye guys

I don't understand this post.

ciao, visto che non l'hai capito te lo dico in italiano,

dicevo bell'esempio di evoluzione se teniamo in considerazione il grado di volgarità della gente :-) in altre parole: se sono scurrile nel 21esimo secolo, non vuol dire che necessariamente io sia evoluto rispetto a prima, ti pare?

I never said that this song is needed to convince people. where did I?

I never said that this song would offer something new at the subject, where did I?

I just said:

[...]So it would be very helpful if they think more about their work,

I know that this is just a song, but...who knows

bye guys

It's weird that you'd choose an unrelated quote when you've clearly talke loads about the songs meaning and making sure people hear it, including the "military"