Also not mentioned (but maybe in the articles), your ears are non-regenerative. It's a very complicated and delicate (and ridiculously accurate) part of the body but once you've damaged some part of it it's not coming back. It helps then to be a little more paranoid.

Yeah... I really should get ear plugs with how often I go to concerts. Just have never gotten around to researching what "good" plugs I should get.

So despite not using ear plugs, I do agree with the pro-ear plug logic. When you're young, you think it's not important. Then you get older, and you wisen up a little. And anyway, saying "ear plugs aren't necessary if you're just going to one concert or not up in front is kind of like saying seat belts aren't important when you're in a car. Sure, most of the time, you're not going to get in an accident, but do you really want to risk it?

Let alone rock concerts do present a very real risk to hearing because they are constantly loud. So maybe it's like not wearing a seatbelt while constantly drunk driving.

This whole tinnitus discussion is pretty interesting. I've had some persistent increased ringing in my ears lately and I'm wondering if it wasn't the Muse concert a couple months ago that brought some of it on. There has probably been a little ringing present for longer but it's definitely been worse over the past several weeks. I've often considered wearing ear plugs to gigs but never actually done it. Maybe time to start.

There have been a lot of concerts over the years that have left my ears ringing temporarily but my aging ears are probably more susceptible to the volume now. I can especially remember my ears feeling completely shot for a few days at a time after seeing Aerosmith and Nirvana concerts. The Aerosmith show in particular was really loud but also terribly distorted like they had the sound system cranked way beyond its capacity. It's not just the volume that causes ear fatigue and potential damage but the quality of the sound to some extent.

The consideration to wear ear plugs at a rock concert is no different than putting on sunscreen at the beach or wearing a helmet to ride a bike. You might be fine whether you do any of them or not. You might have to live with the consequences if you take your chances though.

This whole tinnitus discussion is pretty interesting. I've had some persistent increased ringing in my ears lately and I'm wondering if it wasn't the Muse concert a couple months ago that brought some of it on. There has probably been a little ringing present for longer but it's definitely been worse over the past several weeks. I've often considered wearing ear plugs to gigs but never actually done it. Maybe time to start.

There have been a lot of concerts over the years that have left my ears ringing temporarily but my aging ears are probably more susceptible to the volume now. I can especially remember my ears feeling completely shot for a few days at a time after seeing Aerosmith and Nirvana concerts. The Aerosmith show in particular was really loud but also terribly distorted like they had the sound system cranked way beyond its capacity. It's not just the volume that causes ear fatigue and potential damage but the quality of the sound to some extent.

The consideration to wear ear plugs at a rock concert is no different than putting on sunscreen at the beach or wearing a helmet to ride a bike. You might be fine whether you do any of them or not. You might have to live with the consequences if you take your chances though.

If you're interested in wearing plugs you can get some decent reusable musician ones pretty cheap. They make everything much more tolerable without muffling the sound.

For anyone whinging about the setlists. The Rolling Stones just played this in front of 500k people in Havana. They have a much larger back catalogue to go at too!

Edit: the attachment didn't attach. Anyway - main set was 16 with only one encore of 2.

image.thumb.jpg.549f6ac26c0df592c67cd3e39494cdc1.jpg

Edited by jcatkinson77
Photo didn't attach.

For anyone whinging about the setlists. The Rolling Stones just played this in front of 500k people in Havana. They have a much larger back catalogue to go at too!

Edit: the attachment didn't attach. Anyway - main set was 16 with only one encore of 2.

To be fair, they're 70+ years old and it was a free concert.

Edit: And, even then, that's probably more than what Muse have been doing on this tour.

Edited by Jobby

I saw the Stones three times in 2014. Their energy on stage is simply amazing.

If Muse still are touring in 2044 and play a 2-hours-set with 18 full songs, then I'll be more than impressed.

If they play a 2-hours-set with about 20 full songs in 2016, I would be happy...

If you're complaining about the length of a FREE concert, go fuck yourself.

Nice! What a delightful person you are. I'd advise you to do the same, because with that attitude nobody else will.

To be fair, I only just found out it was for free. Which does indeed change things.

I do sympathise a little with the timing thing as The Globalist + Drones is 12 minutes long, and I was fairly anticipating them to do both on this tour.

Saying that, there's another 10-15 of faff (IS, Prelude, Munich Jam, JFK, Harmonica, Voodoo Child, Interlude when Hysteria is played, etc) where an extra song or two can be shoehorned in. Or, ya know, they could remove this idea that an arena gig has to be 1hr40-45.

Saw The Stones at Glsatonbury 2013. They were absolutely amazing. Those guys are iconic in a way Muse could only dream of - and they're still going strong. Just incredible. Jagger has to be one of the greatest frontmen of all time.

this idea that an arena gig has to be 1hr40-45.

This isn't a problem for multiple night residencies but I've gone into back to back gigs where they're soundchecking while we're kept out in the lobby 20 minutes after we've been let in. The build time of this stage is apparently 15-16 hours. If they're building 15-16 hours and you account for various breaks, safety ensuring structural stability, A/V setup time and the various issues that occur when building something like this, they don't have time to play more than what they're doing, because they have like five hours to work with to pack everything up and get to the next show.

I'd imagine if their stage trucks got in an accident or experienced mechanical problems, they'd be in a serious predicament. While I really do appreciate the spectacle of this stage, they really gotta scale back for the sake of peace at mind.

The odd thing is that when they were talking about doing a show that would be a Muse equivalent of Pink Floyd's Wall tour, and associated ones (Waters), I had an image of a tour with a much more heavily structured setlist with little, if any, rotation, and way more faff to tell some sort of story. Sort of like a travelling version of Muse: The Musical, like the idea that Matt & Chris have spoke about many times down the years.

I don't mind the idea of a big silly rock spectacular, as a one-off beyond the usual screen/light show, and I do at the least think the setlist is a lot more flexible than The Resistance arena tour, which was very tightly regimented on the first two legs. But it is still 1hr30-35 plus a further 20 of playback, riffs, intros, jams, etc, really, hence the suggestion of either longer show or less playback (surely they could fit those Handler sensors to Matt & Chris before the gig and not bother with Isolated System, for example).

This isn't a problem for multiple night residencies but I've gone into back to back gigs where they're soundchecking while we're kept out in the lobby 20 minutes after we've been let in. The build time of this stage is apparently 15-16 hours. If they're building 15-16 hours and you account for various breaks, safety ensuring structural stability, A/V setup time and the various issues that occur when building something like this, they don't have time to play more than what they're doing, because they have like five hours to work with to pack everything up and get to the next show.

I'd imagine if their stage trucks got in an accident or experienced mechanical problems, they'd be in a serious predicament. While I really do appreciate the spectacle of this stage, they really gotta scale back for the sake of peace at mind.

It is more of an emphasis really on replacing some of the unnecessarily large amount of playback and faff, and play an extra song.

Of course, with this tour, I'm aware there's a huge ballache of logistical shenanigans going on. That was perfectly clear with Dallas, and the later rescheduling of Las Vegas & San Diego. For the record, I can't remember the Dallas thing - was it that their trucks were caught in massive delays, or that they underestimated build time, or something?

I thought they said shortest they could do was 12 hours. But yeah, as 12-15 seems the going rate, plus another 5 to dismantle it and travel time, back-to-backers are going to be a problem.

Maybe on the next tour there will have to be less faff given how out of control this one seems at time.