I recommend White Heat attending a gig of This Will Destroy You without earplug.

Most hearing damage I assume I've ever gotten from a concert was being at the barrier for My Bloody Valentine which left me hearing everything muffled for the next 3 days, and that was with earplugs.

Clubs can be very bad for your ears especially. Local stereos maybe less so but it still depends on the loudness and position.

Yeah i've been to clubs where i actually was in pain but i never felt like that in a gig even being relatively close to the stage :stunned:

You were in pain? Well done, you've damaged your hearing.

Not like actual physical pain but i surely wanted to get out from there. Even listening to music with headphones can damage your ears, that's one thing, but i honestly think you have very small chances to get tinnitus unless you stand next to the speaker or go to a gig every week. For casual gig attendees like me which don't stand in front row or near it you'll need to have very bad luck man :LOL:

I believe in what i see and thats everyone in attendance of a gig walking off just fine. I'm sorry for those who have tinnitus but if it was a real threat nobody would go to concerts so fuck off with your superiority.

I didn't realize you could see people with tinnitus...

Every single time you go to an event and leave with your ears ringing, you have damaged your hearing.

Sometimes that goes away the next day, sometimes people have it for a few months and it heals; a lot of times it's permanent.

It's stupidly easy to damage your hearing.

I've been told mine was caused by a loud toy I had when I was a kid (because I'm old, no one cared to regulate shit like that back then, and I probably had my face on it.)

Also, concerts supposedly average about 120 decibels. That's not the front row (which averages 140 decibels) and anything over 100 gives you hearing damage. It's believed only stuff under 85 is considered safe.

Edited by SerpentSatellite

Not like actual physical pain but i surely wanted to get out from there. Even listening to music with headphones can damage your ears, that's one thing, but i honestly think you have very small chances to get tinnitus unless you stand next to the speaker or go to a gig every week. For casual gig attendees like me which don't stand in front row or near it you'll need to have very bad luck man :LOL:

I don't understand how you could be so wrong about this. Sure, odds are you'd probably not get tinnitus from one gig, but why take the chance? And you're acting as if tinnitus is the only potential danger. You are aware that Noise-Induced Hearing Loss is a thing, right?

At any rate, I think a proper set of plugs actually makes everything sound much better.

Also, concerts supposedly average about 120 decibels. That's not the front row (which averages 140 decibels) and anything over 100 gives you hearing damage. It's believed only stuff under 85 is considered safe.

This. You're exposing yourself to very loud stimulus for a prolonged period of time. Of course it's bad for your ears.

Well big concert are more near 105 dB overall. 120dB is the threshold (in theory of course) of physical pain for your ears so if concert were that loud everyone would go home deaf (i'm just saying that it is extremely loud).

The fact is that everyone reacts differently to loudness. Some people can go to really loud gig without protection and never have any damage while it can take one gig to other people to fuck their ears.

95dB is considered safe and above that you can have damage. Even if you don't have tinnitus after a gig doesn't mean you didn't get any damages on your hearing.

Thank god I was on the barrier for LA Rising because Laryn Hill had her people hook up her speakers to the system already provided by the festival for Muse/Rage Against the Machine so it was basically double the volume it should have been. I didn't bring ear plugs but the security saw us in visible pain and brought us some.

Literally every single person in the crowd was plugging their ears and trying to signal to her to turn it down. I still feel bad for people who weren't able to get earplugs from security on the barrier but weren't able to leave and lose their spots.

What's the point of going to a gig with earplugs? I honestly can't think a dumbest thing to do. Save the money and listen through youtube...

The gig is plenty loud enough. If anything, I'm blocking out the bullshit from the crowd that I DON'T want to hear.

About that, which brand do you think it's among the best to buy? I'm planning to purchase a confection before going to the first Milan gig, possibly not made with natural rubber.

I buy these (pack of three) and give the rest to friends in the queue. People even insist on paying for them so if you wanted to be the coolest guy in the queue, you could sell them for $2.60 (rounding up and covering tax)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0037F92RC/ref=sr_rp_1_s_it?m=ABAR0TZ9IM8BT&ie=UTF8&qid=1458823767&sr=sr-1&keywords=earplugs

Edited by Alexander DeLarge

I got a pair of earplugs from my local Boots (UK) - custom made and they bring the sound down by 15 decibels.

The main reason was a local venue to me that I go to a lot has soudn that is way too loud and will leave your ears ringing.

The guy at boots who sold me the earplugs said that any time you have muffled hearing after a gig then that is the potential for damage. He said he had suffered from nightclubs.

So if you are a regular gig goer then plugs are a must - if you are casual then its a risk but it is upto you whetehr it is worth taking or not.

I have been to the O2 many times and generally don't wear the plugs because the sound there is generally a lot quieter than smaller venues but if Muse are going to play mega loud then I may take mine with me. I guess it also depends on where you stand.

Finally, the earplugs DO make the sound clearer - it removes a lot of the crap/fuzz - and the sound of people taking - it makes the audio clearer.

The main downside is that it remvoes a lot of the bass in my experience and 'the feeling' - which some may find unacceptable.

For me at the smaller cheaper gigs I will wear the plugs and take the hit.

At the more expensive gigs it will depend - obviously if I am paying £71 for Muse I don't want to lose the full experience - but at the end of the day my hearing is more important - so whether I wear them will depends.

Most hearing damage I assume I've ever gotten from a concert was being at the barrier for My Bloody Valentine which left me hearing everything muffled for the next 3 days, and that was with earplugs.

The venue was distributing earplugs to attendees when I was going to the MBV gig in Hong Kong. Before that, I thought Ride was already the loudest gig I've been to.

I don't understand how you could be so wrong about this. Sure, odds are you'd probably not get tinnitus from one gig, but why take the chance? And you're acting as if tinnitus is the only potential danger. You are aware that Noise-Induced Hearing Loss is a thing, right?

At any rate, I think a proper set of plugs actually makes everything sound much better.

Despite having tinnitus so badly I feel like one of my ears is deaf, and because it happened due to two different reasons and at two different times, the noises in each ear are distinctly different (annoying as fuck,) I actually don't have official hearing loss. I just sometimes have to put a lot of concentration and focus into picking out noise in a crowd.

So yeah, the article Tjet linked talked a lot about something worse; you can easily get actual hearing loss from high noise damage, as well. High end loss isn't always noticeable unless it's bad, but low end loss quickly makes it impossible to pick out voices in background noise, and can make it so you struggle understanding normal conversational voices.

Scary stuff.

The nerve damage thing I thought was factual; didn't realize they were still studying it.

I can tell you I was on a medication that had potential for systemic nerve damage, and it said to watch out for tinnitus, which was a sign that you could experience hearing loss from the meds. The tinnitus wouldn't go away, and hearing loss could worsen even after stopping the medication. So, the nerve damage thing is very real, and is believed to be able to happen at much lower decibels than previously thought (in the 75 to 85 range.)

Obviously everyone would be slightly different, due to exposed nerve endings you have, etc.

Just err on the side of caution; tinnitus seriously blows, and hearing loss would be pretty traumatic.

I have tinnitus as the result of 4 years of earphone abuse, drums and the odd concert without regard for my ears, and I distinctly regret not taking it seriously before then.

I've won earplugs to every gig I've attended for the 4 years since, although I've been to way more since my self-diagnosis, oddly. Honestly, it takes time to adjust but by the end there's little difference to the time before, except that without earplugs, its usually so loud that I can't make out individual aspects of the sound. The recent feeling of blockage in my left ear that I've had for a lot of the year so far is the more worrying than the tinnitus, which was hell for a week after I first had it but has since been livable with.

I also find it annoying having to clean the wax out of my earplugs every so often (I use a pair of £10 ACS plugs I got on Amazon, although weirdly my dog ate my first two pairs), and I often have an itchy feeling in at least one ear from wearing them for too long.

So, yeah, take care of your ears.

I have tinnitus as the result of 4 years of earphone abuse, drums and the odd concert without regard for my ears, and I distinctly regret not taking it seriously before then.

I've won earplugs to every gig I've attended for the 4 years since, although I've been to way more since my self-diagnosis, oddly. Honestly, it takes time to adjust but by the end there's little difference to the time before, except that without earplugs, its usually so loud that I can't make out individual aspects of the sound. The recent feeling of blockage in my left ear that I've had for a lot of the year so far is the more worrying than the tinnitus, which was hell for a week after I first had it but has since been livable with.

I also find it annoying having to clean the wax out of my earplugs every so often (I use a pair of £10 ACS plugs I got on Amazon, although weirdly my dog ate my first two pairs), and I often have an itchy feeling in at least one ear from wearing them for too long.

So, yeah, take care of your ears.

I never had a single problem, but since adopting the older dog a few years ago, he's eaten every single earplug either I or my boyfriend have brought in the house (he's in construction; another thing that makes you deaf fast. His boss can barely understand male voices.)

The dog is like an ear plug seeking missile. Can't hide them anywhere. I once watched him pull one out of my boyfriend's ear.

They currently reside in the car trunk, and I forgot the damn things when I went to Philly and had to buy expensive ones out there. :noey:

I never had a single problem, but since adopting the older dog a few years ago, he's eaten every single earplug either I or my boyfriend have brought in the house (he's in construction; another thing that makes you deaf fast. His boss can barely understand male voices.)

The dog is like an ear plug seeking missile. Can't hide them anywhere. I once watched him pull one out of my boyfriend's ear.

They currently reside in the car trunk, and I forgot the damn things when I went to Philly and had to buy expensive ones out there. :noey:

Wow that's pretty nuts. Particularly the pulling out of ears one.

This was the dog I got as a puppy in 2013. A few weeks after we got it, I was going to a gig my mate's band were doing as a really loud sweatbox in London, but in the morning of it, she got my plugs off the table and ate them. So I had to buy some on my way, which turned out to be more for swimmers and completely ineffective in a music venue, and so wound up going to a nearby Superdrug to buy the orange foam ones.

And then at the end of the same month, she did it again on the morning I was due to go see The Killers at Wembley, and I wound up having to pair a normal one and a orange foam one. Since then, they stay in my jacket pockets.

Yeah I always make sure. Can imagine getting there to find you forgot them to be a colossal pain the fucking arse.

Finding oddball things you need to buy, especially in a short timeline, in cities you've never been to is a pain in the ass.

I ended up buying some at a cell phone store, and they were expensive, and seem to rather suck. They wouldn't have helped at Philly anyways, though, since you could barely hear the vocals, guitar or bass through the majority of the gig. I remember really loud drums, indistinguishable buzzing noises, and people talking over everything.

I also had to throw away my glasses cleaning wipes, which was ludicrous, as they kept setting off the bomb detector.

Then my glasses and my pants pocket they were in kept setting it off anyways. I had enough pharmaceuticals in my carryon that I was sure I'd never be let on the plane, and nope, I almost got a cavity search because of tiny alcohol wipes.

And I'm convinced dogs are biologically attracted to ear wax. Have you ever noticed they obsessively lick their paws after scratching their ears? Probably nature's prevention for ear infections.

Has led to many pooped out earplugs.