I think it'll do with 1/2 slots for fans with songs like CE, Fury... Well, fan favourites in general. I always think: "okey, this setlist is good, that's fine" but through the middle it's always the same. Just 1 or 2 songs to make things a little unexpected. That's not too much to ask in a 16/17 songs setlist. I think they're still very good live, but the lack of some variation always makes me consider if I prefer to go to see another band in my country and not seeing Muse which is theoretically my favourite band.

The problem is I feel kind of cheated, because I've bought all their albums, I buy merchandising, I support them, recommend them to almost every person I know. And I know I don't have more rights than any "casual" fan who enjoys them, but, I'll like them to listen to us just once.

Edited by topo_musero

Okay, here's a quick question. Would you guys be willing to settle for a fifteen-or-so minute break during the show, if it meant a longer setlist?

Back when I still had a band, I would play eleven songs in the first set, then take a fifteen-minute break and play eleven more songs in the second set, and finish it up with a one-song encore.

Okay, here's a quick question. Would you guys be willing to settle for a fifteen-or-so minute break during the show, if it meant a longer setlist?

Back when I still had a band, I would play eleven songs in the first set, then take a fifteen-minute break and play eleven more songs in the second set, and finish it up with a one-song encore.

Yeah, of course, I'll even appreciate that since I'm tired of jumping at the 6th song :LOL::LOL:

I felt like they take at least that, but spread over the whole gig. Matt in particular.

Casual fans would no way want to stand around that long.

Muse played the same or more, and more difficult, songs over a shorter timeline at festivals.

There is nothing on that setlist I really want to hear, except The Handler. A few songs are decent but I've seen them many times before and would see them again if i'm dumb enough to go to a gig on the next tour. I think I said this in 2009. Idiot

The Globalist is a problem in that, if I recall, they aren't playing that much below T2L tour (time wise, I believe), and it's taking up 2-3 songs worth of slots. Not that it's any excuse for the sets, but at this point I'd rather take 2-3 more than hear it, even though I would like to see the spectacle live

The US gigs varied by 1 song in length, and that was really all they needed to slot CE or Bliss in there with TG.

Which they did in Mexico, Canada, and several early US dates.

There's also like two minutes between songs.

Remains to be seen if tonight was cut short due to late start, too, but I think they're typically always a little late.

There's so much negativity here. It's funny because, before I found this site, I used to be so stoked to see Muse or to watch videos of them live because, well, they're Muse, and no matter what songs they play, they tend to be at least as good (if not better) live than in the studio. You can't say that about many bands or artists nowadays.

Having been on this site for a while, I feel like I'm starting to feel like being amazing live isn't enough, and that they have to play certain songs, do certain things, etc. Am I turning into a snob? I don't know. :(

I think I need some time off from Muse.mu. Not sure if I'll request the admins to ban me for a day, but I might be gone for a little bit.

The sets lag because of too much time between songs, too much prerecorded playback (Drones, IS, Prelude, JFK, Drones again) and 10 minutes of The Globalist is just kind of dull for most of the crowd.

Even with that, the biggest disappointment is the lack of variation in songs, not just from show to show but from tour to tour.

If we take T2L Glasgow, switch songs from that album to this one, we get something like this:

Unsustainable

Supremacy

Map of the Problematique

Supermassive Black Hole

Resistance

Panic Station

Animals

Monty Jam

Explorers

Ruled by Secrecy

Time is Running Out

Liquid State

Madness

Follow Me

Undisclosed Desires

Plug in Baby

Stockholm Syndrome

Uprising

Knights of Cydonia

Starlight

Survival

Becomes:

Drill Sergeant

Psycho

Dead Inside

Map of the Problematique

Plug in Baby

Bliss

Isolated System

The Handler

Supermassive Black Hole

Resistance

Starlight

United States of Eurasia

Munich Jam

Madness

JFK + Revolt

Time is Running Out

Reapers

Stockholm Syndrome

The Globalist

Uprising

Mercy

Knights of Cydonia

Don't fet how hard that would be, and it's a pleasing set

The band has been playing much of the same songs since release. Many of them for a decade.

Fans are bound to get tired of them after that long, especially when that's really all there is. That's pretty normal. Not everyone wants to see the same songs gig after gig, no matter how good the performance.

Muse's glaring issue is that in that last decade the hits have tended towards the very poppy, and being as diverse of a band as they are, it's also not as uncommon for the fans who love the band to maybe not be as into the pop singles.

Ideally, it'd be 16/17 + 8/9/10 with an announcement telling people that this will be obscure material for the fans.

Problem is, with their current stage design taking like 15 hours to build, if they have another gig in some other area of the country, they don't have the time to "start earlier" or play until midnight (generally not an option due to the sound curfew)

Having been on this site for a while, I feel like I'm starting to feel like being amazing live isn't enough, and that they have to play certain songs, do certain things, etc. Am I turning into a snob? I don't know. :(

I don't think it's snobby at all to hold them to a standard that they are clearly capable of (when they feel like it). What I find really insulting is how they'll play one of the best sets in the past decade to a crowd that got press for not even wanting them there.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/muse/2015/donington-park-castle-donington-england-bc93dbe.html

Versus a show full of hardcore fans that got this.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/muse/2015/webster-hall-new-york-ny-23c8187f.html

Edited by Alexander DeLarge

Definitely. I made one in the setlist thread that implied many breaks. Wasn't very good but you get the idea.

[Drill Sergeant]

Psycho

The Handler

MK Ultra

Fury

Map of the Problematique

Dead Inside

Bliss

Time Is Running Out

Mercy

Plug In Baby

[JFK]

Defector

Butterflies & Hurricanes

City of Delusion

Animals

Madness

Sunburn

Ruled By Secrecy

United States of Eurasia

Survival

Revolt

Aftermath

The Globalist

[Drones]

Knights of Cydonia

Supermassive Black Hole

Stockholm Syndrome

Apocalypse Please

Uprising

Reapers

Flow is bad but basically try something where it can be broken up and made longer, and still contain usual and maybe mandatory hits.

There's a lot of complaint about song choice and whatnot but at a length like that (and even shorter) they'd have to be actively trying to make a bad set to avoid playing some crowd pleasers.

There's so much negativity here. It's funny because, before I found this site, I used to be so stoked to see Muse or to watch videos of them live because, well, they're Muse, and no matter what songs they play, they tend to be at least as good (if not better) live than in the studio. You can't say that about many bands or artists nowadays.

I think I need some time off from Muse.mu. Not sure if I'll request the admins to ban me for a day, but I might be gone for a little bit.

Don't take it too seriously. But a lot of people have seen them do better. If you were around last tour it was mostly positive.

Remains to be seen if tonight was cut short due to late start, too, but I think they're typically always a little late.

Doesn't look like it. Setlist pics show exactly what was played, only with the first run of Drones crossed off.

Honestly, the song choices for this gig isn't even what bothers me 'cause I'm confident it'll improve over the next few nights. It's the fact that it looks like we're gonna be stuck with 17 songs until the end of the tour, which is just sad when you think about it. Even 2 more songs could massively improve any set but it just seems like they can't be arsed :(

I still think rotations will improve significantly on subsequent nights. It's nothing we haven't seen over there before.

I truly was not expecting that set, though. Even reddit was appalled. :chuckle:

Maybe it really is that they "feel out" the crowd and decide if everyone is going to sing along or not... Wouldn't expect them to worry about France, though.

Maybe they stuck to familiar territory because Matt sounded a little off from the last gigs: maybe wasn't feeling well.

There is nothing on that setlist I really want to hear, except The Handler. A few songs are decent but I've seen them many times before and would see them again if i'm dumb enough to go to a gig on the next tour. I think I said this in 2009. Idiot

You hit the nail on the head. If you went to a gig on the TR/T2L tours and then went to last night, odds are that 2/3 of the songs are the same, and the other 1/3 are new songs.

^ You're not alone, it's struck me lately too... But it could also be a side effect of my having been very lucky with the sets I've seen. Either way, negativity won't help, and I'm sure I'd love tonight's set if that's what I get antway
Ah, I'm usually one of those "how can you be so negative, you old grump??" people, but last night felt a bit off even for me. Just too many factors that made it a bit annoying (heat, less than ideal view, a little girl next to me that I felt I had to protect from the people around us, not so great view, achey legs, etc.).

So I hope for a better night tonight, and that I'll be the annoying "oh they can't do ANYTHING wrong" person again. :D

I'm sure that Europeans would have joined in if you or any other American would have started a campaign. But Alex's argument against that was that you couldn't possibly have known at the time that it would be needed, and then I guess it was too late?

Which makes you wonder why Europeans are blamed despite the fact that the same logic applies to us :p

*Insert Redemption quote*

If this whole Q&A thing hadn't popped up (at the most opportune time, might I add) I was getting in gear to attempt to start a Reddit AMA campaign... but of course that would have been total crap compared to this so it worked out ;)