Barrier is about being able to see the band without the obstruction of other people's heads in your way.

Even one person back I was blocked for a bit.

Depends on what you're into, I guess. I don't care about anyone else in that crowd or what they're doing, as long as they don't have their phone in my face or screaming at each other about bikinis during The Globalist.

I personally just want to be able to see up close.

I agree with the phones, that's something that really boils my swede, is someone watching a show through their phone or whatever other device it is they have. (one occasion someone actually had a IPad)

Rammstein tends to play 18 song sets as well, with pretty much no rotation at all. But I've never heard anyone complain about their show. (Then again, I don't frequent the depths of their "real fan" message boards, so who knows.)

Can't imagine any other fanbase feeling alienated like hardcore Muse fans do since they're either very heavy rock and on the other end of the spectrum, top 40 pop radio, where the shows are primarily the hits.

I mean if I were to see a band like New Order, I'd be fine getting just the hits because that's representative of the vast majority of their material. I don't feel that way about the live shows Muse has been putting on lately.

Edited by Alexander DeLarge

We were talking about just that after Philly, because we've obviously seen other bands that do short setlists filled with mostly familiar, hits-type material.

I think you hit it on the head there, and while everyone probably has a favorite "deep track" that they know they'll never see, the hits and newer tracks are just more representative of the band as a whole in a lot of cases.

Muse has a ton of diversity, and (up until Drones) started going in a largely different direction than their earlier material that the "hardcore" US fans (and Europe) discovered them by, at least with the radio singles (I suppose this is very true of Drones, too.)

So, after Abso and listening to the back catalogue, I was "meh" about stuff like SMBH, Starlight, Resistance, Madness in the first place, but there was often a lot to love in the albums themselves, and there were typically songs in the sets that made it all worth it to me.

But, with them dropping more and more stuff (OoS and Showbiz entirely) even stuff like SS, the US sets aren't really representative of the band's body of work that someone who's listened to the albums would know.

And yet, a set like DC manages to make that okay...

The difference in gigs was mindblowing.

If that is true then thank god, hated that idea in the first place.

I'm pretty sure about it.

I don't know what all the fuss is about in regards to actually getting to the barrier, obviously I'm going to want to try and get reasonably close, but I much prefer being among the crowd and jumping and singing among the crowd... I don't fancy being crammed at the barrier, I feel it restricts that for me. I feel the experience is so much more enjoyable when your in there with the crowd actually moving and feeling the music. This is also a reason why I never went VIP, if they offered a meet and greet then I would have jumped at it, but there was no other reason for me to.

I never go for barrier either, I just think it's a real dick-move to allow people that pay more to get ahead of dedicated fans that queue for hours because they really want to get barrier. For me personally, that is what all the fuss is about...

I just finished with listening to the bootleg from Washington. It was amazing until the end of AP and then they did 2 slow songs in a row which killed the momentum of the whole gig and it picked up the pace after that slowly but failed to get back on track completely. I almost had a feeling that they did 2 sets with Munich Jam as an interlude :LOL:

Citizen Erased is amazing live now. Holy shit, that was spectacular.

Edited by Nicklord

I'm not happy about it, but that Madness/Resistance stretch was by far the best received part of the set. By far.

I was impressed how much of the crowd knew the words to TiRO, though. That didn't seem to make a ton of sense to me.

Really, tbf, I'm not going to complain about the set for that gig.

And the visuals and drones were mostly all working on a back to back night, as well. I think we were short two drones.

I mean, except for the lights on the white balloons, but they weren't working the night before, either.

I only had one person (VIP) in front of me, and I was completely okay with my spot. The bigger issue was how damn hard it was to see the band members when they were on the wings, honestly.

Still, I had to queue for 4 hours to get that spot, and it was absolutely agonizing for me, and I'm going to pay for it dearly and I would be lying to say I wasn't a little irritated that someone was able to pay to avoid a queue that likely would have been way easier for them.

I am aware I had the potential to buy VIP myself, but between two people, that would have cost as much as the flights I needed to get out there in the first place.

4 hours to get that close is really good tbh. I queued form 12.30pm last time Muse came to Sydney and could only get about 5 people from the barrier at absolute closest.

I never go for barrier either, I just think it's a real dick-move to allow people that pay more to get ahead of dedicated fans that queue for hours because they really want to get barrier. For me personally, that is what all the fuss is about...

Yeah I agree. The only reason why I would have gone VIP was if a meet & greet was involved, I feel the whole idea of the VIP package would destroy the magic for me.

4 hours to get that close is really good tbh. I queued form 12.30pm last time Muse came to Sydney and could only get about 5 people from the barrier at absolute closest.

The stage is MAAAAASSSIVE. 150 or so VIPs only fill the center circle on both sides, and there were only about 80 people in line when I got there.

And all four catwalk sides mostly filled in, too.

I'm not sure what's "magic" about standing in line all day... unless you count destroying my bladder because no where in DC would let me use their toilets.

But, it does suck to have barrier be "pay to win."

The stage is MAAAAASSSIVE. 150 or so VIPs only fill the center circle on both sides, and there were only about 80 people in line when I got there.

And all four catwalk sides mostly filled in, too.

I'm not sure what's "magic" about standing in line all day... unless you count destroying my bladder because no where in DC would let me use their toilets.

But, it does suck to have barrier be "pay to win."

oh true the stage does look fucking huge actually

agreed, lining up all day was pretty boring and to eat around arenas here is so expensive, in the end my dad and brother who also attended the last Muse gig i went to showed up at 5.30 and ended up only 5 rows back or so from where I was so really it was just pointless haha - be interested to see if "VIP" is a thing here in Australia as for most bands who do it it's not really then done here

i got in line at about 6:30, got into the building, and then was told i had to go to a different entrance for GA...ran to the back of that line and still managed to be only about 3-4 people from the barrier..it was the closest ive ever been for all 5 shows ive been too so i was still a happy camper :D honestly fine if every show they do now is 360 if it means its that easy for me to get that close lol

I showed up when the opening act was on the last time they did MN, and I was only six people back on Matt's side.

It wasn't as close, especially because the stage was so high, but I still hope they're done with the 360 after this.

Being super, super close to the band was a really cool experience, but with all the rotating and moving around and time spent on the catwalks, I really only felt like I got to be close up a handful of times all night.

There definitely was a weird feeling with not being face on with the band, and it was seriously hard for me to see them at all too much of the time (either behind the drum kit, or on the arms, which were alternately too far, and blocked by tall people, for me.)

Topic already came up yesterday: Unless I completely misinterpreted stuff on the VIP website, it seems that for the European gigs the VIPs are only granted a good seat, not early access to GA.

That's what they should have done in the US, if that's the case. I queued for 10 hours, was about 20th in line at the first Staples show and didn't get on the arch. It was taken by mostly VIPs. Not all VIPs are casual listeners though. My daughter flew to DC from CA to see them. Her 7th show on this tour. We drove hundreds of miles and queued over 70 hours for 6 shows. I think my daughter earned her VIP barrier spot. ;) Trust me, I get it. It's frustrating as fuck to queue for over 10 hours and still have to worry if I'm going to get a spot on the barrier.

However, there were a few that were vomit worthy. At the Staples show, the couple we were next to, weren't huge fans. The guy asked me what time I got to the show and when I told him 9am. He was like, "oh you should do VIP and then you can show up right before like us." My response was something about how if I did VIP I couldn't afford the 5 other shows I was going to. But, the thing is, the girl with him was handed Matt's guitar pick by Matt himself. She asked the guy who was working the Drones if he wanted to trade his setlist for the pick. He said to her, "you want to trade my setlist for Matt's pick?" I was flabbergasted by it because that pick came directly from Matt. :/ Dumb bitch. Then, there was another VIPer who I stood next to in San Diego that didn't know any songs except SMBH. He stood there emotionless the whole damn show.

My hopes is that there won't be any VIP next time or at least make VIP seats. so that those of us who queue an insane amount of hours are rewarded.

Edited by violatedbydm

That's what they should have done in the US, if that's the case. I queued for 10 hours, was about 20th in line at the first Staples show and didn't get on the arch. It was taken by mostly VIPs. Not all VIPs are casual listeners though. My daughter flew to DC from CA to see them. Her 7th show on this tour. We drove hundreds of miles and queued over 70 hours for 6 shows. I think my daughter earned her VIP barrier spot. ;) Trust me, I get it. It's frustrating as fuck to queue for over 10 hours and still have to worry if I'm going to get a spot on the barrier.

However, there were a few that were vomit worthy. At the Staples show, the couple we were next to, weren't huge fans. The guy asked me what time I got to the show and when I told him 9am. He was like, "oh you should do VIP and then you can show up right before like us." My response was something about how if I did VIP I couldn't afford the 5 other shows I was going to. But, the thing is, the girl with him was handed Matt's guitar pick by Matt himself. She asked the guy who was working the Drones if he wanted to trade his setlist for the pick. He said to her, "you want to trade my setlist for Matt's pick?" I was flabbergasted by it because that pick came directly from Matt. :/ Dumb bitch. Then, there was another VIPer who I stood next to in San Diego that didn't know any songs except SMBH. He stood there emotionless the whole damn show.

My hopes is that there won't be any VIP next time or at least make VIP seats. so that those of us who queue an insane amount of hours are rewarded.

I'm still baffled by who is paying all this money to go see one song.

I'm getting quite fed up with concert crowds in the UK, too many people treating it like a pub night, complaining about the price of beer and talking over every song

I think everyone saying European crowds are better will be in for quite a shock, because the stage is so big, you're going to see the same amount of enthusiasm you saw in previous tours, but it'll certainly look like less.

After the first two or three rows (on previous tours with a traditional stage design) the crowd is just as boring and motionless as any other crowd. Now that'll be diluted since it's going to be wrapped around the entire barrier,which is massive.

Same, can't imagine Matt trying to sing it in it's original key anymore. Would work well if they did play the album in full and decided to have it flow directly into Starlight though, since they'd both end/start on the same note again.

No pressure there. Human voice changes through the years, if Matt have to sing some songs differently from the record. i'm OK with that. And Take a Bow will be very welcomed in any show.

No pressure there. Human voice changes through the years, if Matt have to sing some songs differently from the record. i'm OK with that. And Take a Bow will be very welcomed in any show.

This is why we want stuff off of Showbiz. Matt sounded way too young for material like Uno and Showbiz and Muscle Museum.

I wish they'd rerecord that album with current vocals.

I'm still baffled by who is paying all this money to go see one song.

I'm getting quite fed up with concert crowds in the UK, too many people treating it like a pub night, complaining about the price of beer and talking over every song

I promise you it's super, super common.

There were a group of VIPs near me who raved on and on about what big fans they were before the band came on, but really just spent like an hour squealing about how cute the band members were, and talking shit about Matt's girlfriend.

They knew enough facts about the band that I was thinking "okay, they're just young, at least they know their shit..." and then it became completely obvious that they didn't know a single song off of Drones, and really only sang along to SMBH, Resistance, and Starlight.

The gig was hard to hear enough as it was, at least the guitar and vocals, and they talked about Twitter and being drunk through pretty much everything else. Loudly.

Thought my bf was going to murder them during The Globalist.

I think everyone saying European crowds are better will be in for quite a shock, because the stage is so big, you're going to see the same amount of enthusiasm you saw in previous tours, but it'll certainly look like less.

After the first two or three rows (on previous tours with a traditional stage design) the crowd is just as boring and motionless as any other crowd. Now that'll be diluted since it's going to be wrapped around the entire barrier,which is massive.

This is a lot more obvious in person.

What makes it worse is you can't see the GA on the other side, it's blocked by the stage, and just see the people in the seats.

The seats are so close to the stage it really changed the dynamic of the entire visible crowd and it felt really strange.

There were a group of VIPs near me who raved on and on about what big fans they were before the band came on, but really just spent like an hour squealing about how cute the band members were, and talking shit about Matt's girlfriend.

They knew enough facts about the band that I was thinking "okay, they're just young, at least they know their shit..." and then it became completely obvious that they didn't know a single song off of Drones, and really only sang along to SMBH, Resistance, and Starlight.

The gig was hard to hear enough as it was, at least the guitar and vocals, and they talked about Twitter and being drunk through pretty much everything else. Loudly.

Thought my bf was going to murder them during The Globalist.

amazingly, people are allowed to do what they want during a show, including talk. so you could've moved away from them if they were annoying you