Actually it makes a lot of sense. Reallistically speaking they are too many songs to rotate in the "fan favourite" category. But even with less or none rotation, sets that way will be better.

The point is to give the songs equal weighting so the setlist isn't biased towards a specific audience. When the setlist contains more than half of the album you're promoting, and more than a dozen of your biggest hits, there's no real reason not to give the same attention to your back catalogue.

Maybe Reapers every set is taking a toll on Matt's voice, so they need a break?

Revolt, The Handler, Dead Inside, Mercy are all much harder.

Reddit and Twitter are full of shitty fans. That extra butter guy is literally just trying to inject himself into the conversation wherever possible. What good does invalidating an entire group of fans do for him? Fanboys and hardcore fans apparently cannot get along

:erm:

What infuriates me most about this tour is that the stage would probably be pretty cool in a stadium tour, where the gimmicks are somewhat respectable.

Edited by bumpypotato

What infuriates me most about this tour is that the stage would probably be pretty cool in a stadium tour, where the gimmicks are somewhat respectable.

Yeah, the apparent lack of floor space and density of the GA crowd looks like it kills a lot of the vibe you'd normally get at a gig. I'm sure a 360 stage is great for the band to be surrounded by gushing fans wherever they turn but, for the fans? Meh. End-stage is better in just about every way imo.

Is it a very difficult song to sing, you reckon? He's got a hell of a lot more difficult stuff in there.

Nah - one of the easiest on the setlist. Phrasing in the verses can make it tough if he were doing it towards the end of the set but they weren't. Plus half the song is just riffing and whammy wankage so he's not singing there haha.

I still really like the 360 stage set up but I feel like it's only really going to work when they play bigger arenas in places like Europe. Not even sure how well it'll go down if they play Allphones Arena here which has a capacity of around 21,000 tbh :$

re: reapers --

for the first few gigs of this tour, i have to be honest: while the verses sounded ok, matt's falsetto in the chorus sounded like utter hell.

also: the sound guys seemed to have significant difficulty getting the levels right on the instruments; to say that the mix was muddled would be an understatement; and matt's voice was almost completely drowned in sound during the whole song.

can't speak for the last few gigs, though; maybe things have improved.

oh, wait...lol. maybe they didn't in vancouver or seattle...

Edited by frutiger75

Weren't they doing the chorus without distortion again, for some reason? That happened the first gig they played it, and the future ones immediately had it distorted; didn't sound so good the first time and was a big criticism of the song.

Just looking through some Oakland vids; where there technical difficulties with the sound, or was Matt missing parts of lines? Seemed really out of breath, parts of some songs dropped, and hiccups sliding into bit notes.

Maybe I'm being optimistic, but maybe he just wasn't feeling well.

Edited by SerpentSatellite

Weren't they doing the chorus without distortion again, for some reason? That happened the first gig they played it, and the future ones immediately had it distorted; didn't sound so good the first time and was a big criticism of the song.

no distortion in the chorus. also, i forgot to make the distinction that the vocals in AZ were way too high in the mix (or the instruments were just too low).

in any event, lack of crowd engagement during reapers was very apparent in each city.

Just looking through some Oakland vids; where there technical difficulties with the sound, or was Matt missing parts of lines? Seemed really out of breath, parts of some songs dropped, and hiccups sliding into bit notes.

Maybe I'm being optimistic, but maybe he just wasn't feeling well.

i can't speak for any issues of any kind that occurred in oakland. someone who was there will have to confirm those details.

all i know from personal observation is that sound problems (vocal...and otherwise) riddled the first few gigs of the US leg -- all over the board.

Edited by frutiger75
to accommodate comments to an edit

I never really understood why they had to do Reapers so early in the set..especially if its something Matt has been struggling with, Put it a little later in the set it could honestly be a cool encore opener and it would be a Muse 3 song encore like the good old days lol

I hadn't really noticed that he was struggling with it. That's usually more Dead Inside and The Handler.

I guess read my comment as "Allegedly" struggling, although i never really thought he sounded fantastic in the chorus of Reapers live lol, it does come across great in the studio version...my main point in all of this is for them to get their heads out of their asses and put Reapers back in the set, but don't worry they made sure Resistance is still in there :rolleyes:

I found out some of my friends went to the cOakland show. They called it the best concert they had ever experienced. So... Perhaps we are just whiny boardies. Then again, they're Dave Matthews fans so I'm glad I don't entirely share their taste.

I also take back my generalizing statements about Bay Area crowds. I went to a show at the Fillmore tonight and it was a super pleasant bunch of people.

Regarding Reapers, they first few performances of songs are pretty much always a bit inconsistent. Muse are really an exception because they usually rehearse the shit out of stuff before playing live.

Since then it's been one of the songs that hasn't been affected at all by his mysterious decline.

I do think that he generally has a hard time with the last line of each verse he sings in falsetto, which is a bit puzzling because it's not that high, but it almost sounds like his voice is about to break to me.

I think it's just the phrasing. Quick passages of words without much breathing + he tends to bow away from the microphone to get into playing the riff so that probably doesn't help.