Remember during the festivals this summer when Dom A tweeted "one question. Why don't you guys kick off during Reapers?"

I wonder if crowd reaction has anything to do with it disappearing.

The thing is, they've kind of made it a self fulfilling prophecy. They assume US fans only like them for the Twilight soundtrack and the less heavy tracks. So they fill their live show with them. In turn, it drives their rock fans away, they get less reactions to their heavier songs at their gigs, their sets get lighter. It's a vicious cycle. Circle. Whatever.

Exactly!

The States are just more about popcorn family entertainment and faux-emotional fakery. Perhaps that's why they think football (soccer) is so boring, because they MAKE it boring by just sitting there expecting artificial entertainment instead of getting engaged by the game itself and their own excitement, like European audiences. Or, if you flip that argument, perhaps that's why they suck at football, because no one knows how to properly cheer them on.

No wonder American sports are either super low key for the whole family(baseball) or pumped full of artificial side entertainment (American Football).

So it must be hard for a band to navigate that, but I respect a band staying true to themselves and doing what they love doing best a bit more than a band trying to change their ways to please a certain audience. If that has to be done in smaller venues, then so be it.

So I know the Reddit threads are dumb and all but similarly I can really see where some people would get the idea that people here only care about setlists. It's what's talked about most of the time, it seems to be the sole criteria of a gig most of the time, and maybe sometimes it's underestimated how more surprising a song order can be when you don't follow every concert of the tour. Most people don't.

Performance, atmosphere, and flow are still huge parts of a concert for me. A lot of bands I've seen aren't shuffling things around a ton, I've even seen the same setlist twice in a row and enjoyed it still. But it's also harder to talk about those things unless you're there. The biggest criticisms I've had were the crowd being generally dead, and the flow not grabbing as much energy as I know the band is capable of. Last Bay Area show had an average set but it's the best I've seen the band and came back fully pleased.

This is kinda where a lot of complaints here come from. It's really about playing X song. I don't care if they don't play Micro Cuts every night. I missed the OoS tour, I can get over that. It's more the attitude towards the US they've had for a while now that's weakened their shows and their audience and back again. It's a valid complaint to have when they're perfectly capable of doing better in another hemisphere and regularly do so.

Maybe some people are just whiny about song choices, I've seen that myself, but that's ignorable. The biggest discussion lately has been something more, and that's not being "spoiled" any more than positive opinions are just blind fanboyism.

Also every gig I've been to this year has had a good crowd, and some larger festival crowds last year were great too. Whatever American culture is turning people into zombies or whatever else has been said along those lines is hardly a universal trait in my experiences.

The current conversation has been geared towards setlists for sure, but I'd like to think I spent plenty of time bitching about the 360 stage prior to that. :phu::chuckle:

I wasn't wrong about it causing problems, and making the US tour extremely tiny, either.

(We were sadly also right about the flying marital aid..)

I'm not looking for Muse to play certain songs, or anything, I just hate the idea that they take rarer songs out of the sets after just a few gigs. Because, again, they did this last tour. Reapers removal is mindblowing and frightening in it's possible implications.

Are they keeping the energy up for themselves by playing the same ol' same ol' without variation, either? Could some of that be rubbing off on the crowd by now?

I've seen plenty of bands that play the same setlist every single gig of the tour. They squeeze in some stuff for the hardcore fans, and more importantly, manage to make the gig feel special even though it's the same damn thing night after night. They bring an energy to it, banter, and a sense of spontaneity, even if it's not truly real. I'm not sure Muse does that anymore.

However, there's also something to the fact that this tour more than ever feels like they got together one Friday night and discussed how they were going to dress up the dozen decade old hits again this time.

Added with the fact that stuff just plain isn't WORKING. That latest interview with Dom, for example. "We're having trouble debuting one of the flying things because it's just too BIG."

How on earth is that not figured out before hand? Why have "the drones proved tricky" and someone wasn't working on that for weeks before the gigs started? Matt talked about the drones before the damn album came out.

I have this vision in my head of a bunch of guys standing in the arena in Houston, gazing up at the scoreboard, thinking 'oh... balls...'

I keep flashing back to that interview where Matt joked about using Mexico as a guinea pig for the equipment and seeing it in a very different light.

Edited by SerpentSatellite

I have this vision in my head of a bunch of guys standing in the arena in Houston, gazing up at the scoreboard, thinking 'oh... balls...'

I was reading your post and suddenly I remembered that time Dave Grohl grabbed Chris' bollocks (allegedly). I wonder if he did it to Matt, if he'd finally say "screw it, fancy malfunctioning drones or not we're going to play!" and just rock out. :unsure:

If the band are going to get rid of everything that gets a lousy reaction from Americans, we'll soon have a set that goes like this:

1. Supermassive Black Hole

2. Starlight

3. Madness

4. Feeling Good

5. Knights

:( I watched a video of the gig I went to (Glendale, AZ). That part where we all sing along to PIB? I was screaming it from the barrier, as were all the people around me. You can't even hear us on the video, which came from the seats. And when they played Apocalypse Please, Matt and Chris were both on the wings, which hadn't sold out. So only Dom could see the insanity that was the deliriously happy, bunched-up hardcore fans on the sides of the barrier (because VIP got the middle).

I get a bit tired with those people who act as if having frustrations or criticisms means you can't be a "fan."

I get a bit nauseated to think that the frontman of the band might be so thin skinned as to have the same definition of "fan."

(I also believe this truly to be the reason some of those fans act that way publicly in the first place, while not being true to what they preach. And thinking about that feedback loop gives me a migraine.)

Mostly, after loving Drones to absolute death, and knowing this would have been my last opportunity to see Muse live, I was really hoping for something different, something more in theme with the album deeper than giant flying missile and flight suits.

Apparently that was severely deluded.

I felt they finally put out an album that had more heart to it after the two prior felt more purely theatrical; which fit the stage shows we got for them. This stage show doesn't seem to fit Drones, at all.

Despite Matt too often showing he's not true to the anti-capitalistic/anti-society themes he loves to sing about, Drones ultimately hit on issues that were relatable and important; a man who maybe prided himself on having life figured out, and who found himself facing his worst fears, especially that of losing his family and himself (looking at it from the perspective that the songs went the other way around initially.)

I wanted this tour to be something I'd love, but even besides my distaste for center stages, so far we're getting festival length sets, a few clustered dates in minimal areas of the country, major and consistent technical issues, and rescheduled gigs due to the scale of a stage show which I personally feel gets in the way of the performance anyways. And setlists that seem to be rapidly devolving to where I can't count on a 1 in 3 chance of even seeing AP/CE/Bliss (or Reapers, evidently.)

Maybe that stage show does look cool in person, but too many of their fans here will never know, because it prevented them from coming within reach of them (during the holidays) or forced their gig to be rescheduled.

And while "shit happens" shit shouldn't happen every gig; the stage show counts for little if it's not working properly, imo. They're counting on most of those gig goers not following closely enough to know stuff's missing or malfunctioning, and that doesn't sit quite right either.

So yeah, I'm not bitching to bitch, I'm bitching because I'm genuinely disappointed, and sometimes it's nice to know you're not alone, or just get it out. I got my hopes up too high, that's all.

I could be dwelling on more important things, but those are way more depressing.

Long rant, now I'm going back to sleeping on my desk.

That latest interview with Dom, for example. "We're having trouble debuting one of the flying things because it's just too BIG."

Presumably that one was the "flying dildo" that turned up in Seattle and was one of the only ones that worked in Oakland. Or was that a reference to all of the damn things?

Conversely, I'm guessing the effect at the start is people to look up and go "Oh look, balls!". :p

Its all probably speculation as to what the behind the scenes antics are with the logistical and technical planning, but I can imagine the tours for the 8th album being a bit less unwieldy, seeing as this tour seems to be the one where they've bitten off more than they can chew. Then again we all thought that after the Unsustainable Tour and the fact they started this one mainly doing festivals, and look how that turned out. :chuckle:

The full length Phoenix vid was about 1hr50, and that was the same of the last tour, while the song played numbers would work out similar if The Globalist was replaced by 2/3 other songs that make up 10 minutes. Conversely, ofc, its less time of them just playing than on the last tour, as there's 2 goes of taped Drones, Isolated System and JFK in the mix, and that's before the choices themselves, which is a negative move, and by numbers, it just looks a move backwards.

I guess outsiders will probably see this thread increasingly becoming a setlist-orientated feedback loop by now tbf.

I'm still not certain what I make of it. I saw U2's current tour and thought they did the 360 thing rather well, but I was closer to the main stage, and only saw them as specks during the slots on the second stage. Crowd was still good during those songs, mind. Also, that still had a configuration of a main stage at a conventional end location, rather than this having the main bit slap-bang in the heart of the venue.

Remember during the festivals this summer when Dom A tweeted "one question. Why don't you guys kick off during Reapers?"

I wonder if crowd reaction has anything to do with it disappearing.

The thing is, they've kind of made it a self fulfilling prophecy. They assume US fans only like them for the Twilight soundtrack and the less heavy tracks. So they fill their live show with them. In turn, it drives their rock fans away, they get less reactions to their heavier songs at their gigs, their sets get lighter. It's a vicious cycle. Circle. Whatever.

That was Tweeted during the European festival run, and tbf, The Handler and Mercy (not least with its confetti orgasm) did seem to get a better reaction judging by YouTube I saw at the time. Still a little bit befuddling its been dropped though.

It was weaker but not considerably. And people were outraged even before Wembley 2 happened.

I get it was a weaker set from the stadium leg, but it just astounds me people list it among their worst setlists when there was New Born, B&H, IBTY (fight me), Stockholm, and Take A Bow. Only the last 2 were regulars.

Yeah I forgot there was outrage before Wembley 2, which got what is one of the best openings I've had at a Muse gig. I'd say on balance, it was rather weaker - Matt not arsed with the New Born piano, then NSC instead of MOTP or MK Ultra, plus IBTY when Ruled by Secrecy was soundchecked (although IBTY would be fun live), and a slot for Soldier's Poem - personally I think Unintended is better for that stadium lighter ballad slot.

But yeah, in its plus, it still had all those. There were some much weaker ones elsewhere on that tour, and worse ones since. Certainly, I'd rather have NSC than fucking Revolt.

Don't forget Wembley 1 had B&H, always a highlight.

Anyway, on this current tour... when they escape from America to reach Europe they'll probably play things like Assassin / Reapers / Stockholm Syndrome in a row. God bless them. :happy:

Throw in a MM/Uno rotation and I will be very happy :)

saw Stereophonics last night at the O2, fucking phenomenal. They played 25 songs with most of their hits, a few rarities/odd numbers. What struck me most was how much love there was in the room, Kelly Jones is the nicest, most genuine guy in music at the moment. Very little bullshit between songs, just one or two playful comments to the crowd, now THAT was a rock gig. They had 7 songs from their first 2 albums for christ sake, amazing spread across all albums. Just frustrating that Muse are technically a far superior band, but I would take Stereophonics ANY day because the setlist was stunning and incredibly consistent (there was only 1 song I didn't like) compared to the usual dross we get with Muse where I might hate 3 or 4 songs out of 18, it's a no brainer. If Muse win best live band again, I will punch a hole in my laptop.

Don't forget Wembley 1 had B&H, always a highlight.

Anyway, on this current tour... when they escape from America to reach Europe they'll probably play things like Assassin / Reapers / Stockholm Syndrome in a row. God bless them. :happy:

God bless them for intentionally treating fans in the US like shit? Many of whom care about the band so much they are traveling long distances and paying good money on travel to see them, despite the narrow focus of the tour.

Hope they'll be pleased to "escape" from arenas full of paying customers...

Ah, those comments on Reddit...

If it wasn't so expensive and they didn't give the impression that the setlist would be themed, then I wouldn't care. Because I know I'll have a good time anyway. But for the prices, 17 songs is just way too little, I don't get how people can argue against that. And by adding 5 or so more songs, they could keep virtually everyone happy.

But, they can play what they want if they lower the prices, don't play some songs half-arsed, don't use play back intervals just to pass time, and don't have technical issues. My only issue is that people are not getting value for money.

And I completely agree, yes they need to cater for the US market, but it's totally unfair to not throw the old fans a bone whatsoever. I mean, they could so easily add in just 1 rarity. Casuals can survive 1 song they don't like, I'm sure. It's twatty to give preference to certain areas/gigs. But ofc this has been said so many times before...

God bless them for intentionally treating fans in the US like shit? Many of whom care about the band so much they are traveling long distances and paying good money on travel to see them, despite the narrow focus of the tour.

Hope they'll be pleased to "escape" from arenas full of paying customers...

It was sarcasm. But i still think most of the people in America prefer to hear Madness and Resistance over Reapers and MK Ultra, for example. Too bad a lot of people in the States have a poor taste in music, the few with good taste are the ones paying the consequences.

It was sarcasm. But i still think most of the people in America prefer to hear Madness and Resistance over Reapers and MK Ultra, for example. Too bad a lot of people in the States have a poor taste in music, the few with good taste are the ones paying the consequences.

Thing is, do you think there aren't tons of fans in the UK who want to hear Starlight and KoC? And maybe they just "rock out" to songs they're less familiar with because that's the difference in crowds here and there?

It's not like they don't play those songs in the UK; they play them every gig. They just play longer, and add in nods to long term fans.

They played Assassin, The Groove, and Hyper Music here and got a big reaction. It was just easier to see because the more interested fans weren't standing at opposite ends of an arena.

Reddit to the rescue

Reddit and Twitter are full of shitty fans. That extra butter guy is literally just trying to inject himself into the conversation wherever possible. What good does invalidating an entire group of fans do for him? Fanboys and hardcore fans apparently cannot get along

Reddit and Twitter are full of shitty fans. That extra butter guy is literally just trying to inject himself into the conversation wherever possible. What good does invalidating an entire group of fans do for him? Fanboys and hardcore fans apparently cannot get along

Because the best fans are obviously here. :rolleyes:

I don't understand why it's so hard to cover all the bases.

21 song setlist = 7 + 7 + 7

7 Drones songs

Psycho

Dead Inside

Mercy

Reapers

The Handler

Revolt

The Globalist

7 hits

TIRO

Hysteria

Starlight

SMBH

Knights

Uprising

Madness

7 fan favourites from

Muscle Museum

Sunburn

Uno

New Born

Bliss

Hyper Music

Plug In Baby

Feeling Good

Citizen Erased

Dead Star

Apocalypse Please

Stockholm Syndrome

Butterflies & Hurricanes

Fury

Map of the Problematique

Assassin

Unnatural Selection

United States of Eurasia

Supremacy

Survival

??? Muse ???

Actually it makes a lot of sense. Reallistically speaking they are too many songs to rotate in the "fan favourite" category. But even with less or none rotation, sets that way will be better.

I'm curious to know how "real fans" will react to a really good setlist, but without rotations, fixed setlist the entire tour.

Balanced setlist with no rotations for the entire tour would be wonderful, actually, since Muse sucks balls at rotations.

Reddit seems like it's actually somewhat balanced right now, with a lot more people being critical of this tour than I'd expect to see.

You just have to realize that like 95% of all the fangirl attacks are one really prolific person.

Maybe two.

This forum goes through phases, but I think everyone here's being super reasonable about the setlist opinions, and we're not exactly asking for the world here... Shit, most "hardcores" are literally asking for the set to be extended by 1-2 songs, bringing it back up to their LAST tour, and putting in a couple of nods to their hardcore fan base.

That's... really, really reasonable.

FB seems to be dominated by one group of fans being twats, so basically they're the new us.