This recent one is the first time I've ever been truly disappointed in the crowd around me.

I think that may have to do with the amount of douche in the Bay Area in general at this moment. I had a sense when standing in line that a lot of those people weren't of a kind that can get over themselves enough to let go and have a good time.

I've had horrible crowd experiences all year, it really changed rapidly and my friends of any age have noticed the same thing. Future Islands at the Fox was the absolute worst. Amazing stage performance, but I left early because of the amount of dicks around me.

Simply going out to a bar in San Francisco is turning me into a misanthrope these days, and Oakland is following suit rapidly.

Overall, I think an influx of wealth leads to a crowd of spoiled and bored people who don't see concerts as a highlight in their month, but just another thing to do.

At a time I was still commonly referred to as a fangirl (by people other than ninsp) I saw Muse, and other than clapping and cheering between songs, was quiet and attentive. I had a great time and it's how I enjoy myself.

That shouldn't ruin a gig for others, and especially not the band.

What bothers me at gigs are people texting all night and not paying attention and riotous drunks yelling and slamming into me.

We're all different, right?

At a time I was still commonly referred to as a fangirl (by people other than ninsp) I saw Muse, and other than clapping and cheering between songs, was quiet and attentive. I had a great time and it's how I enjoy myself.

What bothers me at gigs are people texting all night and not paying attention and riotous drunks yelling and slamming into me.

Of course. In fact, when you look at footage of Matt enjoying other bands at festivals he's also quiet and attentive and not giving any immediate feedback.

The Future Islands show I was referring to was actually rather rowdy. But selfish rowdy. And the show where I enjoyed the crowd most this year was Elbow, where people were quiet and attentive. There is fun and energetic and asshole rowdy. There are shows were everyone is respectful in the craziest pit, where everyone is there to have fun, and there are shows where people are selfish and disrespectful.

For example, I don't mind a stage rush where everyone pushes forward when the band comes on. Yesterday there were some people who aggressively elbowed their way to a spot right in front of me, stood there statically and then called over their friends to join them in their newly conquered spot where they continued to talk and take selfies and hold up their phones throughout the show. I DO have a problem with that.

I want to add something to this from personal experience (maybe you've seen this too). But there seems to be some outlook of a perpetually shit American crowd. This recent one is the first time I've ever been truly disappointed in the crowd around me.

In 2010 the arena concert the crowd at least seemed to be more of a rock crowd. The queue was a long line of black t-shirts, there were crazy moments during New Born, Hysteria, and MK Ultra, and the reception to those songs were pretty good. In 2013 it was a lot more diverse, and while there were still huge fans that got into it and it was fun, there wasn't as much energy as the last time. The recent concert, well I've talked about that.

So yeah the American audience in general accepted the pop songs a lot more, but I'd have to side more ninsp here in that their tactics to appease that crowd seems to have pushed the rock audience away, and created a cycle. I can't speak for the whole country, but they've had a pretty good following here.

Wembley Night 1 was never bad and was better than good number of Resistance Tour sets.

Agreed. TR Tour still had a lot of rock fans. After a singalong for PIB Matt joked about how he was surprised we knew the lyrics since it wasn't released in the US til way later. Crowd was great in 2010. Stage rush, energy, slightly moshing...sad that it's now this.

Edited by ninsp

Agree, Muse should release a Blu Ray of the Wembley '10 shows as soon as possible.

Well. Oakland looked pretty damn close to sold out. They're doing fine whether all five of us know they can do much better or not.

The question is how many come back next time. No one knew this was going to be a short singles fest plagued with technical problems up front.

If Matt doesn't throw a tantrum over crowd reaction and just skip the next US tour.

Seriously, it seems to bother him WAY too much.

Aren't Japanese crowds super quiet too?

Doesn't he view that as 'respectful' though? Like when they played Hoodoo in 2007 and the crowd was dead silent and Matt said 'it's over' and then they started clapping. Or when they played Redemption and the crowd was completely silent.

Think US crowds are bored and on their phones, whereas Japanese crowds act like they're at an Orchestra.

Doesn't he view that as 'respectful' though? Like when they played Hoodoo in 2007 and the crowd was dead silent and Matt said 'it's over' and then they started clapping. Or when they played Redemption and the crowd was completely silent.

Think US crowds are bored and on their phones, whereas Japanese crowds act like they're at an Orchestra.

But that's cultural. Being disrespectful is just American culture. You gotta respect that.

Fair points, but I don't think that's all Muse's doing. I mean they've always put out the most commercial songs as singles, it's just that they didn't release any albums in the US until Abso. They didn't pick Showbiz or CE as singles, so they're not gonna pick Reapers or The Globalist either. And they've still had Supremacy, Survival, Animals, Exogenesis and Psycho as singles (/EPs), so they do mix a fair bit imo. Their poppier songs just chart better.

TIRO charted better than SS.

SMBH charted better than KoC.

Madness charted better than Supremacy.

I swear someone mentioned if downloads had counted to UK chart sales in 2003 (it took them until 2005-07 to do so), SS would have charted at number 2 in the singles chart, or at the least higher than TIRO.

Would've been quite something if that had been the case.

I was there. Bands sometimes joke sbout which night is better. Matt sounded serious snd petulant.

Also on that tour dedicating Bliss and CE to the 'real fans on our messageboard, all 5 of them'

I thought the Bliss "messageboard song" stuff was a joke tbf. The Wembley 2 "real fans" comment was a bit sharper, and a bit misguided, although at the time, I didn't really hear it clearly.

Wembley Night 1 was never bad and was better than good number of Resistance Tour sets.

I think it got a harsher reception at the time because the Paris, Manchester and in particular Nijmengen sets had been much better. It also looks weaker than it was because Wembley 2 was a great set, but its certainly a much better looking set than a lot of the ones since.

I think it got a harsher reception at the time because the Paris, Manchester and in particular Nijmengen sets had been much better. It also looks weaker than it was because Wembley 2 was a great set, but its certainly a much better looking set than a lot of the ones since.

It was weaker but not considerably. And people were outraged even before Wembley 2 happened.

I get it was a weaker set from the stadium leg, but it just astounds me people list it among their worst setlists when there was New Born, B&H, IBTY (fight me), Stockholm, and Take A Bow. Only the last 2 were regulars.

Remember during the festivals this summer when Dom A tweeted "one question. Why don't you guys kick off during Reapers?"

I wonder if crowd reaction has anything to do with it disappearing.

The thing is, they've kind of made it a self fulfilling prophecy. They assume US fans only like them for the Twilight soundtrack and the less heavy tracks. So they fill their live show with them. In turn, it drives their rock fans away, they get less reactions to their heavier songs at their gigs, their sets get lighter. It's a vicious cycle. Circle. Whatever.