So if this clearly something that annoys so many of us so much is there anything we can actually do to change things?

Twitter (got their attention with the SA prices, even if it didn't yield any results), signs at gigs or meet them in person after the gig and give some suggestions (don't outright slag them off or hurl abuse obvs).

Trash talk the band after the gig obviously, or send in VIP fans to speak for us during the meet and greet

Not sure if serious but just in case, pretty sure a meet and greet isn't part of the VIP thing.

This gem comes to mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMbm1Tb2qko

32:43 YOU ARE THE BEST CROWD WE EVER HAD, THANK YOU!!!

Commercial, pop, purely promotional gig full of non-fans who had to win tickets.

Band feels the need to insult them.

This is pretty much exactly what I'm talking about with their respect and professionalism.

To my knowledge, the meet and greet is a radio contest in each city and seems extremely limited. Maybe even just two people or one winner and a +1.

Too many VIPs are sold to have a meet and greet.

Commercial, pop, purely promotional gig full of non-fans who had to win tickets.

This is pretty much exactly what I'm talking about with their respect and professionalism.

Seriously, wasn't that a show with Katy Perry and some/all of the Jonas brothers or something? Like what were they even doing at that show. :$

Twitter (got their attention with the SA prices, even if it didn't yield any results), signs at gigs or meet them in person after the gig and give some suggestions (don't outright slag them off or hurl abuse obvs).

Not sure if serious but just in case, pretty sure a meet and greet isn't part of the VIP thing.

Haven't you seen a bunch of the photos that surface? There was no explicit guarantee of a meet and greet but those happen anyway for the VIPs. Everyone that takes photos with the band that aren't horrid selfies are wearing VIP lanyards

Haven't you seen a bunch of the photos that surface? There was no explicit guarantee of a meet and greet but those happen anyway for the VIPs. Everyone that takes photos with the band that aren't horrid selfies are wearing VIP lanyards

I knew one of the couples, and they won the meet and greet on a radio contest, as well as VIP tickets (seats.)

There is also a story floating around about someone with the band bitching about the bad crowds, and how the fans from the meet and greet didn't even know the band. Sounded like it was a very limited number of people, not the entire VIP. That's around a hundred or so people at some gigs.

Id consider a protest before a gig. Some signs and as many people as possible chanting. But that has the following issues - not enough people at the gigs giving a crap which is definitely the case, and possibly be refused entry for "disorderly conduct ".

Yeah, that's pretty cunty. Never any need to slag off fans or any audience unless they're actively booing you or something imo. It's their job to entertain them, not the other way around.

It's not just the US though, I'm sure none of us need reminding about the 2010 'real fans' incident *shudder*.

Id consider a protest before a gig. Some signs and as many people as possible chanting. But that has the following issues - not enough people at the gigs giving a crap which is definitely the case, and possibly be refused entry for "disorderly conduct ".

Yeah, I think some kind of Twitter thing or online petition is the best way to go. Easiest way to get a decent amount of people to speak up, get their attention and without the awkwardness/potential bad blood that could be produced in person. As much as I think things like that are overused, something needs to change badly imo.

Edited by Jobby

Lol Bliss was on the set but was crossed out and replaced with PIB.

Yeah ... as much as I enjoyed the show last night, I wish I wouldn't have found this out.

Bay Area and LA are one of the more consistent areas, even if they don't get the absolute best it's rarely ever the worst.

Yep! I'd rather see Muse in Oakland than in Sacramento.

Reminds me of one of my old bands first gigs. We were really bad so by the end of our set people weren't even bothering to fake applaud. Our last song started and our singer said fuck this and walked off the stage leaving the rest of us to do an instrumental version of the song.

More than anything, their attitude towards fans, particularly in the US is what has slowly put me off the band (and maybe made me less tolerant of the bogus anti-capitalist lyrical themes.)

Hearing before my T2L gig that they were complaining about the crowds took a lot away from that gig experience, and if I'm being honest, that was (confusingly) the reason I went to a second, after I'd settled down on it a bit.

Knowing that they were complaining about the US crowds again right after the first night this tour just made me not want to go at all anymore. More than knowing I wasn't going to be able to see well, or get anything other than hits, not even Bliss/CE.

I fully understand that an energetic crowd is pleasing to the band, but part of professionalism (doing your job) is giving people what they paid for, and that's not insults and bored performances. At least they're not storming off the stage yet, I guess.

I've had to fire minimum wage employees for complaining about customers and clients even out of earshot, and seeing a multi-million dollar band not only take people's money and complain about how they act but lump caring fans into the same group, is something I really struggle with.

Brings to light how completely out of touch celebrities they are, and in turn takes away from my ability to connect with their music.

I fully understand that an energetic crowd is pleasing to the band, but part of professionalism (doing your job) is giving people what they paid for, and that's not insults and bored performances.

I've had to fire minimum wage employees for complaining about customers and clients even out of earshot, and seeing a multi-million dollar band not only take people's money and complain about how they act but lump caring fans into the same group, is something I really struggle with.

Brings to light how completely out of touch celebrities they are, and in turn takes away from my ability to connect with their music.

This. I know I've said it before but I think I'm done with them after this tour, if I even hold out until after Belfast.

They played a shit setlist on the first night of the London stadium gig, very poppy, then came along the next night and played an incredible setlist and Matt said "it's the real fans here tonight, we can tell".

Edit: man would I take Wembley night 1 every day of the week over the current sets.

Sorry, I wasn't into Muse in 2010. What happened?

Long story short: Matt said at the 2nd Wembley night something like "We can tell you're the real fans tonight" because they were a bit more energetic iirc. Bearing in mind how much more energetic and exciting the set was in comparison to the 1st night already, surprisingly, people weren't particularly happy :chuckle: Probably the most vitriolic reaction I've seen towards something the band's done. Lot of "fuck you"s and "utter cunt"s flying about.

Lot of "fuck you"s and "utter cunt"s flying about.

Sounds like any time they play a good setlist outside of the UK. I remember a good few people who went to Download being very pissed off about the fact that Werchter got an equally good if not better setlist.

I think the outrage was centered over the band claiming the crowd was better because they were "real fans" instead of being more energetic over the, well, more energetic set.

Again showing the band is out of touch with what's really going on, and for some insane reason blames the crowd for it.

And, you know, insulting an entire huge group of paying fans.

Fans being upset that other fans got something equally good as they did are also insufferable cunts.

Edit: man would I take Wembley night 1 every day of the week over the current sets.

Yeah, TR's sets really weren't that bad in comparison imo.

New Born, SS, TAB, US, B&H...hell, I reckon IBTY and NSC would be pretty fun as well.

It's sad to see the standard upon setlists shrinking

It wasn't too bad over the T2L Tour and most of 2015 tbf. The last couple of months have been an absolute nose-dive though imo, and in more ways than just the sets.

Matt's also said that all people who buy scalped or marked up tickets are "boring rich people" and not real fans, and now we've got $219 VIPs taking up all the front rows and barrier.

I know 'haha muse logic lmao' is an overused thing but fuck me is it deserved.

Sounds like any time they play a good setlist outside of the UK. I remember a good few people who went to Download being very pissed off about the fact that Werchter got an equally good if not better setlist.

I was slightly miffed iirc, just because Matt said Download would be a 'unique' set (and I was still a little salty about not getting Assassin) :chuckle: Pretty petty and selfish in hindsight but I guess it kinda did take away from the special-ness of that gig a little bit, great sets are always a good thing though I suppose. I don't think I got too upset by it anyway.

Anyone needs a ride to the LA MUSE concert this Friday December 18??

Or would like to carpool??

I have a CAMARO therefore I could fit 2 to 3 depending on your size and how tall are you.

I am 6-4" so It depends if another person could fit on my back seat.

I am from San Diego,CA.

Please let me know!

I would like to Leave around 2pm to have a nice cruise and enjoy the trip

Any suggestions are welcome.

Actually it does. In the UK, Muse got big as a moderately heavy and relatively prog influenced rock band. Plug In Baby being their entrance into mainstream. In the US, they became underground popular with Absolution, then grew a little with SMBH and Twilight by attracting the emo girls (who admittedly still liked rock music), then gained traction in mainstream rock with Uprising (the Grammys was still full with "who are Muse" tweets) and then exploded on all fronts with Madness.

Muse's breakthrough song in the US is a wub wub pop song that Chris Martin called their best song ever. There are still a few stragglers from their underground days in the US, but most moved on because the music is too poppy. All that's left here are the diehards and the Madness fans. The Twilight girls grew up and moved on, and you've just got those two groups left.

The music scene in America is an outright joke, and Muse's willingness to buy into it for popularity has ruined their live shows. I've said this story before but my college colleague who listens to Maroon 5 and shitty pop went to the Muse show in Dallas and posted about how it was too heavy for her. That's their crowd now. And it's 100% their own doing.

Remember when Metallica and Dream Theater raved about Absolution? Now we've got Christ Martin raving about Madness.

I want to add something to this from personal experience (maybe you've seen this too). But there seems to be some outlook of a perpetually shit American crowd. This recent one is the first time I've ever been truly disappointed in the crowd around me.

In 2010 the arena concert the crowd at least seemed to be more of a rock crowd. The queue was a long line of black t-shirts, there were crazy moments during New Born, Hysteria, and MK Ultra, and the reception to those songs were pretty good. In 2013 it was a lot more diverse, and while there were still huge fans that got into it and it was fun, there wasn't as much energy as the last time. The recent concert, well I've talked about that.

So yeah the American audience in general accepted the pop songs a lot more, but I'd have to side more ninsp here in that their tactics to appease that crowd seems to have pushed the rock audience away, and created a cycle. I can't speak for the whole country, but they've had a pretty good following here.

Wembley Night 1 was never bad and was better than good number of Resistance Tour sets.

I admit to not going to a ton of gigs anymore, but when I do, even for rock bands, there's a clear difference in all of the crowds now, versus when I was young going to rock gigs.

The UK, on the other hand, seems to be, crowd-wise, in about the same place we were back then.

I remember going to very tame bands, and not even being up front, having to jump up and down the entire gig, because you were so pressed in with everyone it wasn't an option not to.

I had the arch of my foot at three toes broken at a Goo Goo Dolls gig, and a rib broken at a weaker band than that.

Over this last year, I've for various reasons seen multiple gigs featuring some of the bigger rock acts that are still active over here.

They were a bit more energetic than my Muse gigs, but they were pretty static.

More singing along, for sure, and maybe a little moshing around at the front.

Certainly the busiest parts of the crowd were up front, and Muse has managed to spread that section of the crowd almost unimaginably thin.

I have to also add there was quite a bit more interaction with the crowd, and Muse has classically really struggled with that. I believe they've tried on these tours with the guitar-less songs and hand-slapping, but it doesn't seem to quite come off genuine or engaging. The banter is seldom and awkward, too.

Muse has also, as been said a million times, gained their larger appeal in this country on pop songs. You don't expect people to mosh to Madness, and it's kind of baffling to expect that fans drawn in by it (or DI) are automatically going to bash each other around during Reapers.

The best they're really going to get in that vein is the older fans being active up front, but again they've managed to spread them all out, and are starting to lose their interest through pop sets, or just simply the natural process of them moving on.