Fair points, but I don't think that's all Muse's doing. I mean they've always put out the most commercial songs as singles, it's just that they didn't release any albums in the US until Abso. They didn't pick Showbiz or CE as singles, so they're not gonna pick Reapers or The Globalist either. And they've still had Supremacy, Survival, Animals, Exogenesis and Psycho as singles (/EPs), so they do mix a fair bit imo. Their poppier songs just chart better.

TIRO charted better than SS.

SMBH charted better than KoC.

Madness charted better than Supremacy.

Showbiz was released in NA.

It was just OoS that wasn't.

Now you're being intentionally one-sided though. Obviously Muse don't have a problem with fans liking the pop stuff.

Not directed at me, but I guess my concern was them being upset at the "energy levels" of the crowd.

When you're selling pop, you have to expect a pop audience. You can use that to argue the removal of Reapers, sadly, but I can't find an excuse for the band or their crew complaining about how shitty the US crowds have been comparatively, when they obviously know what's been selling over here, to whom, and that those crowds react differently at gigs.

It's not having Reapers, or CE, or Bliss in the set with the "pop crowd" that causes them to act the way they do... it's just that crowd, and how the US reacts to things.

I feel like Muse is taking this as a personal insult, and it's not like that.

Now you're being intentionally one-sided though. Obviously Muse don't have a problem with fans liking the pop stuff.

So they're just only catering to the pop crowd? It has to be one sided? Not to mention they've made multiple comments about the shitty US crowds the past few years.

No kidding. Of the probably 50-60+ shows I've been to in the last 3-4 years the only three shows I've been to with moshing, energetic crowds and no fucking camera phones was Deafheaven, Faith No More and Dillinger Escape Plan. Pretty sure when I saw Collective f'ing Soul a few weeks ago the crowd was more energetic than they were at Muse.

I don't even mind a lot of their poppy songs. SMBH, Madness, Starlight etc are all staples of their sets and I'm fine with that. I just wish that the whole set wasn't overwhelmingly geared in that direction at the expense of really great songs like Citizen Erased, Apocalypse Please, Reapers or any number of heavier songs.

The whole Drones theme is supposed to be dark and heavy. Feeling Good doesn't really suit the occasion.

Also, Reapers is being played on the fucking radio in the US... They are not aware of that?

Yeah wtf? Thank you, I've heard reapers on the radio more here than mercy and dead inside. I'd take losing out on The Handler Mercy And Psycho combined if it meant they'd play Reapers

Yeah wtf? Thank you, I've heard reapers on the radio more here than mercy and dead inside. I'd take losing out on The Handler Mercy And Psycho combined if it meant they'd play Reapers

We have a really bad mainstream rock station here that I never listen to until forced by my coworkers, and it feel like half the stuff they play is from 20+ years ago. Because, you know, that genre's not big anymore.

Last night, I heard Reapers sandwiched in between ACDC's Big Balls, Linkin Park's Crawl, and something I assume was from Five Finger Death Punch.

It's also the only mainstream/corporate station that I've heard play anything off of Drones, as the station that played Madness 1-2 times an hour seemed to not touch Dead Inside or Mercy.

I don't even like Reapers, but this made me much more confused that it's been dropped at the gigs, since it's more than possible people heard it on the radio and went to the gig.

We have a really bad mainstream rock station here that I never listen to until forced by my coworkers, and it feel like half the stuff they play is from 20+ years ago. Because, you know, that genre's not big anymore.

Last night, I heard Reapers sandwiched in between ACDC's Big Balls, Linkin Park's Crawl, and something I assume was from Five Finger Death Punch.

It's also the only mainstream/corporate station that I've heard play anything off of Drones, as the station that played Madness 1-2 times an hour seemed to not touch Dead Inside or Mercy.

I don't even like Reapers, but this made me much more confused that it's been dropped at the gigs, since it's more than possible people heard it on the radio and went to the gig.

It depends. If that station is considered "active rock" they will play Reapers or more rock forward stuff. I have an incredibly awful rock station formatted to "alternative rock" and they beat Mercy to a bloody pulp. It really depends.

Maybe they didn't think it was going down well

Maybe that prove the theory that the majority of American audiences are pop-seekers, and something as hardcore as Reapers is too much for them.

That tweet is dated July 4th so it has nothing to do with American audiences. That being said, yes it does sound like the crowds haven't been very "enthusiastic"

Having seen Reapers twice in the UK (once at a 'metal' festival and once at a tiny club gig, places a song like that would be generally well-loved), it's just not the kind of song you can jump or dance around to. You can dance a bit and sing along to the chorus since it's quite poppy but, aside from the outro, all you can really do is head-bob for the rest of it.

People enjoyed it a lot at both gigs I was at, there just wasn't any real movement until the end when a bit of headbanging got going (might've seen one mosh-pit at Download too, can't remember).

Sounds like the exact station that plays Reapers in Philly. 104.5 plays the mainstream stuff (Madness, starlight etc) while 93.3 has been playing Reapers... Sandwiched between similarly bad songs lol

I'm talking about arena scale shows. I mean there are still chairs at GA in some rock shows, that's so lame i cant even describe with words.

As far as I know, reserved seats vs. standing GA pit depends on the specific band (or the promoter of the concert) with the exception of some cities that actually have bans (Cincinnati? Where several people died at a Who concert in the 70s - maybe that's been lifted by now though).

Muse don't do reserved seating on the floor in the US but they might as well.

Not quite American, but Canadian here:

Jan 23rd will be my 7th show and they've never come any closer to me than a 10 hour drive.

After seeing these setlists, this is the first time that I'm kinda regretting planning this trip.

They're not playing to Muse fans, they're playing to people who listen to the radio.

Seems like a self-fulfilling prophecy to me.

Similar boat here - going from Halifax no show is a short trip. Opted for the Quebec show this time after doing Toronto and then Montreal (X2) over the last two tours, just because the Quebec show landed on a Saturday and was therefore an easier trip with less time off work (having already committed most of my vacation days to Christmas travels by the time they announced the tour dates....)

I'm just trying to stay optimistic for the 23rd because a) it's the only NA show besides LA to actually sell out (and it sold out fast, motivating them to add a second show), and b) crowds in Montreal and Quebec always seem to be a bit more "european" in terms of their enthusiasm and energy. Matt made a comment at one of the Montreal shows last time about it being their best crowd yet (in North America I assume), and I don't doubt that. So my hope is that they might feel like giving that show something "special", but I'm definitely not getting my hopes up....

I can't remember a real "rock" band that has had seating in the GA of arenas, but it certainly is a thing that can be done. Yeah, other than the cities with actual bans.

There are some rock bands playing 'theater' venues right now that are my absolute least favorite set ups of all time, where they entire place is GA but seated.

I actively avoid those gigs, and it has played a role in my not seeing Muse earlier.

Most cities I've been to, and I've been to quite a lot, have nice sized "club" type venues that Muse would comfortably fit in.

They could probably also have comfortably done a traditional arena endstage and pulled in enough people to do a larger scale tour, tbh.

So if this clearly something that annoys so many of us so much is there anything we can actually do to change things?

We just take solace in endless bitching about the same things, really.

It seems like the only thing that would "convince" the band is more energetic crowds, and there's no way to effect that on our end.

I simply wish the band would be understanding of who's in their audience, and less narrowminded about how they feel we should be responding to them.

Tons of people with signs for song requests, if you don't mind that request getting played at a future gig you're not at, I guess.

They shoved a lot of their hardcore and repeat fans to the wings with the VIP program, so I really don't know what would make them understand.

I'm okay with seats if they sell them as such; I just hate GA seating. It can get a bit bloodbathy.

I have a limp, and a rib that healed poorly from when the US crowds were "energetic" back in the day.