Really funny how he's feeling a bit "what do I do now?" right when the 2nd part of the song begins and he's playing nothing.

Compare to how he's rocking the hell out of the guitar with Chris during Rock Werchter.

Old Matt would've lost his marbles and trashed the guitar.

:(

Thoughts:

Queue was far more people than I expected. Funny to see some of the same people I saw back in 2010 still in line. Overall, I like how the Toyota Center handles GA and the lines. It was great to see them respect the number system and only open one door. However, the VIP thing is absolute bullshit. They let them in at 5:30 so they all ended up getting around the circle...especially when on the website it says that it guarantees you seats. But, whatever; I ended up about 2 people over from the circle when I got inside.

The stage is kinda shit, even though the overall show is the best Muse has put on. With the arms, it's just super uncomfortable to be on the wings. You have to crane your neck or just turn towards the stage to see and then it's like being 5 rows back. Really was not a fan of the stage in that regard. Also, I heard that Bellamy goes into the crowd by a ladder, so I kind of positioned there, but he never went down. So that kind of sucked. The GA floor is incredibly small (the Toyota Center is kind of a shitty small arena anyway) and most of the people pile to one side of the stage...which leaves it pretty easy to get barrier on the other side. However, you end up with a bunch of people who showed up late at the front who are super chill and don't move at all. Will discuss later.

Phantogram was really good, I like them. The stage doesn't rotate for them though, so I kind of ended up staring at the drummer's back the entire set. In addition, the crowd was super empty during their performance because everything is so spread out. Really ruined the vibe. Last time I saw Muse in Houston they were super late coming on, so it was nice to see Muse go on right at 8:40. When Muse came on, they had guys who looked like peacekeepers from Hunger Games come into the barrier and shine lights at people; kinda cheesy but cool nonetheless, with Take the Power Back playing over house. Lights dropped, Drones started, and the drones flew around. I don't know if the Mexico ones were completely free floating, but these were. They were transparent and had lights that shined on the audience. Drones with the flying coordinated drones was actually really eerie and freaking cool.

Crowd was great actually, I was expecting to be disappointed but the floor filled up to the barrier and the lower bowl mostly filled up, with the five upper deck sections open also filled. However...it looks bad because the top five rows in the ends of the stadium will probably be empty in every arena that isn't NY or LA. It's not because ticket sales were bad, I don't think the crowd is any different than T2L or TR. I think it's because in the past the stage took up about 1/3rd of the seats. Now that the entire arena is exposed, there are more seats. But when Matt goes to the wing and plays, it is super weird to see him playing to empty rows. The crowd was fine though. Continuing off of that, people were incredibly chill. I HATE CELL PHONES AT CONCERTS. It was just a bunch of 20-30 year olds standing around blankly. I had SO MUCH space. There was never any stage push or anything. It was stupidly chill. It's the damn stage, it kills the vibe of the crowd with the diehards at the front. The crowd really only got going for Bliss and Knights.

Maybe this is beating a dead horse, but holy hell, we need more Origin tracks. When Muse busted out Bliss, it was easily the highlight of the show and people were into it the most. They can't even use the excuse "Oh, USA only likes the pop songs" because the two that people dug most were Bliss and Knights. However, the set was fine. Hysteria was sweet, Reapers rocks, Handler...it was great. I finally heard Bliss live. However, no falsetto...and his voice seemed off. When Muse does the riffs and stuff, once again, nobody headbanged or moved, it was super weak. Never even saw the devil horns. The guy behind me and I kind of moshed during Knights, but that was it. Also, Revolt is terrible live. Sounds super slow. UD/Madness/Revolt is miserable. There isn't really any playback besides Drones though, mostly everything is played live. So it's not really fair to call IS or whatever not actual songs. The show was about 1 hour and 50 minutes which is what I expect for an arena show. Lack of a real encore sucks, they went right into The Globalist and kind of did an encore for Mercy, but not really. Mercy kicks ass live, the streamers were insane; I had drone confetti everywhere. Mercy live is what Starlight needs to be. Starlight is one of my favorite Muse songs but is TERRIBLE live. Matt lets everyone sing it and there's pretty much no guitar anymore...just sucks. Needs to go.

As far as the show aspect, the drones were incredible. The show really does kind of tell a tale, and I dig that. The lights were cool, but the lack of lasers sucked. The screens are super cool, reminded me of NIN. The visuals for The Handler were especially awesome. And The Globalist. They had a bunch of technical difficulties, they ended up holding the screens off of the band members, guitars and bass kept malfunctioning, two drones stopped working, and then only one came out during Uprising so they quit. The Globalist is easily the highlight of the show. Overall, the show just comes off as theatrical and eerie. Muse really nails the arena show nowadays, and I don't really care about the people bitching it's too theatrical, because I could spend $20 to see Muse play just 17 songs in a theater; but for $75 I want a pure show...and Muse is simply the BEST in this category.

Despite the numerous audio issues, the performance was tight and spot on. Matt sounded OK, skipped the Bliss falsetto...overall though the band sounded great. He was super energetic...I just wish he would show some rowdiness, I would've loved to see him show some anger when the guitar didn't work. I didn't even have a problem with the no guitar, exception of Starlight; since he played (or tried) the solo. Guitar stand was stupid though.

Easily the best Muse show I've seen.

Edited by ninsp

I know it's just changing to transparent material, but the drones look so much less tacky, especially if they can be a great mood/ambient source of lighting like this.

12012015_muse_hou_jackgorman-1.jpg

That was during the first Drones...it was super eerie. Loved it. Honestly the best intro to a show I've seen...been to close to 50-60 shows in my lifetime...

Yeah that looks much better than when they were awkward floating during Mexico.

Still not sure on Drones as an opener though.

When you see it live...you get it. I really don't like the song, but it was cool with the drones in the air.

You're only an inch shorter than I am, views aren't that bad from our height

At 5'7" I've had a ton of problems seeing at almost every gig I haven't queued for (unless it was a really unknown band and no one was there,) and it's probably the biggest reason I've stopped going to gigs of bands I'm not super passionate about.

When I was going to tons of gigs with my friends, we'd queue up all day long, and have a blast at the barrier, and my first gig being back in the crowd was a huge eye opener (and unfortunately my first Muse gig.) Couldn't queue up because of work, and saw the band maybe 10% of the gig due to the people in front of me. Ended up backing way off to where I could see, but barely make anything out.

Waited in line for three hours for that Breaking Benjamin gig for my bf, and ended up decently close on the floor, but so pressed in all I could see was the back of some guy's neck. Had to hang out on the balcony.

The tall T2L stage was an absolute godsend (and the almost completely uninterested crowd... )

Sounds like I probably should have shelled out for VIP if I really wanted to do this tour, but I couldn't personally justify paying over 3 times the normal ticket value. I'm just so, so against that sort of thing in the first place.

And some dick probably would have taken my barrier spot when I went to the bathroom. :LOL:

I'm pretty sure I saw a clip of the "drones" flying around in Mexico; I clearly saw the propellers. They appeared more opaque, and they didn't have the lights, but they're not exactly the huge difference I was expecting if Bellamy told a fan they weren't "the real ones."

They look better lit up, at least, but calling them "drones" that isn't what came to mind. I suppose they are drones in a loose sense of the word.

He didn't even attempt the Bliss falsetto. He sounded OK, though.
He has never done that consistently. Even in 2006 there were performances without it. And Matt's vocals don't really depend on his ability to hit a G5 from nothing.

He has never done that consistently. Even in 2006 there were performances without it. And Matt's vocals don't really depend on his ability to hit a G5 from nothing.

Well he also skipped the DI end falsetto. I haven't watched live vids so I don't know if that's normal though.

I have literally no idea what you're talking about. You can't just say "the falsetto" and expect people to know what you're talking about when there's no significant falsetto part in there that stands out.

EDIT: Oh, you left when you didn't have an answer. How unlike you.

Edited by Tjet

I have literally no idea what you're talking about. You can't just say "the falsetto" and expect people to know what you're talking about when there's no significant falsetto part in there that stands out.

He's talking about the falsetto Matt is used to sing in during recent live performances of DI, where instead full chest voice is supposed to be ("Don't leave out in the cold / Don't leave me out to die...//").

So, Matt didn't sing several lines of the song? Or just didn't do them in falsetto? I'm still confused. The falsetto was an alteration to the song in the first place...

I don't have audio, but I gotta say... that must have been sort of awkward for Matt to stand at that ridiculous guitar stand and play that solo without it working. :chuckle:

Edited by SerpentSatellite

He's talking about the falsetto Matt is used to sing in during recent live performances of DI, where instead full chest voice is supposed to be ("Don't leave out in the cold / Don't leave me out to die...//").
How can he be if he said he hadn't watched any live performances? And why say he "skipped" it. It's like saying Mat skips the falsetto "I need to love" in Madness when he does them in chest voice.

No, I have a job, I'm not a tool who spends all day obsessively posting the same bullshit every day on a forum. I come for like a day or two before and after concert or concert news. You obsessively post here and then expect immediate responses. *rolls eyes*

No, I have a job, I'm not a tool who spends all day obsessively posting the same bullshit every day on a forum. I come for like a day or two before and after concert or concert news. You obsessively post here and then expect immediate responses. *rolls eyes*
You do realise that we can see when you view the thread, so the "Get a life" crap doesn't really work.

And you still haven't answered the very simple question which wasn't even harsh or aggressive.