Wow, this forum... :LOL:

Seriously though, I do have to agree that Muse have really taken the piss with this tour. I know the pricing is mainly up to the promoters, but they clearly don't give a shit about it, plus the mediocre, short setlists certainly aren't promising.

I also hate how hypocritical they've become. Drones is supposed to be an album about finding yourself again, and fighting the powers that be, but they constantly keep selling out (Revolt being Apple Music exclusive, for example.) It's hard to take them seriously anymore. I also remember how, after the Psycho Tour, Muse said that they wanted to "strip back a bit" and "play smaller venues". Yet, here we are, and they've gone with the most OTT setup they possibly could. It is kind of impressive, but I want to pay to see Muse perform, not to see a production. We shouldn't have to pay extra cash for their extravagance either.

As for the musical quality, I personally still like Drones, but it's all subjective when it comes to liking the music, I guess. That said, some of Matt Bellamy's lyrics are absolutely fucking terrible. I'm kind of used to that now though (even though it's sad I've had to get used to it.)

Overall, I have lost a lot of respect for Muse myself, with some of their terrible decision making, and clearly not giving a crap about the fans. I really hope they get their act together next album cycle.

Edited by CoolFunkMan

I also remember how, after the Psycho Tour, Muse said that they wanted to "strip back a bit" and "play smaller venues".

I might be thinking of a different quote but, as I remember it, wasn't it more along the lines of "These shows have been fun, we didn't realise how much we missed playing small gigs, we'll definitely do more in the future"? I mean, they were always gonna go back to doing arenas/stadiums.

In terms of the whole 'being done with the band' thing, I've thought it a couple of times before so I'm always hesitant about saying it now because something inevitably ends up pulling me back in. That said, I do think this tour has been particularly disappointing so far, for me. I'm really not a fan of the 360 stage or Matt's increasing amount of guitarless antics. Setlists being disappointing and short is nothing new for Muse but, considering the prices, I do think they've hit a new low over the last few months and their clear disregard for that (in South America at least) is pretty shameful imo. With Bliss and CE popping back up at the last couple of gigs though, hopefully things will start to improve but I'm not pinning too much on that tbh.

I might be thinking of a different quote but, as I remember it, wasn't it more along the lines of "These shows have been fun, we didn't realise how much we missed playing small gigs, we'll definitely do more in the future"? I mean, they were always gonna go back to doing arenas/stadiums.

I'm pretty sure the arena tour was already being booked during the Psycho Tour.

Yeah, fair points there, I never thought about it like that, and I guess I got the quote out of context. I still think it's a shame that they've gone so over-the-top with the production, and presentation, when they're perfectly capable of doing mind-blowing performances without all the glitz. Having too much stuff going on just dilutes the entire thing, in my opinion.

Even before all that, though, Matt had talked about liking the smaller gigs; he talked about how he'd thought about doing both arena gigs, and smaller shows at the same time.

This would have been the PERFECT time for that, since there clearly isn't enough demand for their 360 arena show in the US, while there certainly is in other countries.

The 360 gigs should have been NY, LA, Chicago if they really wanted to bring it over here, while they could have done smaller club shows in loads of other cities.

The Psycho Tour should have been most of the gigs...

It doesn't sit well with me that they've talked a lot about breaking even or losing money in the US, and then using that as an excuse to not play big areas of the country instead of finding better ways to reach their audience.

It's particularly baffling, because those small shows would MAKE money...

They could have expanded their tour in the US instead of shrinking it every year. It's definitely made me feel like coming here is an afterthought for them, and they're getting away with as little as possible.

Which I'd always hoped wasn't the reason behind our getting shafted on setlists and set lengths.

Seeing all the people trying to unload tickets at lower than face value because they, say, bought Detroit and then Chicago was announced, is also pretty sad.

I absolutely cannot believe their management team wouldn't have anticipated the sales of these gigs. And honestly, seeing how many areas are being skipped rather proves that they knew.

I still really love Drones, but all this has certainly diminished my ability to really enjoy the album right now. And yes, certainly, I'd rather if they were going to go the sell out route, they'd cut back on the pandering bullcrap and stop writing songs about the evil "fat cats" and being "free of society" while caring more about big corporate profits than their fans.

Edited by SerpentSatellite

I'm not sure if its disregard for fans so much as general short sightedness.

Regardless, I like the 360 stage as much as it's possible to actually like a 360 stage, and the recent set lists really haven't been that bad, but it does feel like a definite decline in quality from T2L arena tour. To me, that tour had a pretty much perfect stage set up for a band like muse; you had the lasers and the moving screens and crazy visuals, but the stage was also pretty much free from clutter and for the most part they were playing right to the crowd. This feels like a step in the wrong direction. Its something that would probably fit a stadium tour much better.

I think a setlist like this is what they should play :stunned:

The second law: Unsustainable (Intro) [With Drones]

Drill Sargeant

1. Psycho

2. Plug In Baby / Bliss / MKUltra [With Hullabaloons]

3. Citizen Erased

4. The Second Law: Isolated System

5. The Handler

5.5. Interlude

6. Futurism (+riff) / Hysteria (+riff) / Fury / The Groove

7. Supermassive Black Hole

8. Munich Jam

10. Piano song (Showbiz / Resistance pref)

11. Starlight

12. Madness / Undisclosed Desires

13. Dead Inside

JFK

14. Defector

15. Revolt

16. Time Is Running Out

17. Reapers

18. Stockholm Syndrome (+riff) / Dead Star (+riff) / Unnatural Selection (+riff) / Assasin (+riff)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

19. The Globalist

Drones

20. Prelude

21. Survival / New Born / Unnatural Selection

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We Are The Universe (Stadium Version)

22. Uprising (extended) / Map Of The Problematique (+riff) / ¿Supremacy?

23. Mercy

Man With The Harmonica

24. Knights Of Cydonia

1. Showbiz :(

0/1. Hulla

3/4. Origin

3,5/4,5. Absolution

3/4. BH&R

3/4. Resistance

3/4. The 2nd Law

8. Drones

Edited by Casteja

Just been going around on YouTube and every Muse vid I've clicked on has had a banner ad for the O2 concert on April 3rd, while also listing that the other four have sold out. Which is probably a bigger push than I've seen for the entire US tour. :chuckle:

This may have filtered through from preview pieces and interviews I was under the assumption Muse have been declaring they've been wanting to do both a 360 tour and things with propelled flying objects for ages, and have decided to throw both barrels at the situation for this arena tour with no stadium tour planned this time around. A tour with this complexity will have been booked fucking yonks back. But I guess for them there is the variety in the certain territories - they did the tiny gigs in spring, then festivals with video screen shows in the summer & autumn, and now the huge spectacular.

There's a lot of it that by this point that is just sounding like beating a dead horse, but the last minute nature of announcing the tour hasn't really worked for the US market. Wouldn't say its "shrinking every year" - the number of dates and venue sizes was getting bigger and bigger until The 2nd Law tour, at which point they seemed to have peaked and contracted. There always looked like some shedding happening of territories they didn't do great in on the last tour - 3 in Ohio and Florida seems redundant - but its probably more surprising that its been done to this extent.

Maybe US tours will be thought of differently on the LP8 tour. I highly doubt they'd skip America entirely.