Thing is the entire track is weak. Matt's falsetto is him trying really hard to be classic rock, the classic rock "sound" of the track would hold up better without him pushing it over the edge with that, a more Muse-y falsetto or melody there would've done it justice. Some good parts of the track, but this doesn't excite me at all.

JJTheMuse not defending a new Muse song? Shocker.

Thing is the entire track is weak. Matt's falsetto is him trying really hard to be classic rock, the classic rock "sound" of the track would hold up better without him pushing it over the edge with that, a more Muse-y falsetto or melody there would've done it justice. Some good parts of the track, but this doesn't excite me at all.

The intro is cool, it's just that falsetto :stunned:

As I say though, I won't judge it properly until I've seen in live or when the studio version is released

love reapers, and ive been waiting for a more self indulgent track for a while. (ok that sounds weird, this is muse, i guess it's all self indulgent, but i meant the solo)

people scoffing at reapers on a single listen with horrendous audio (which picks up vocals probably the worst) are jumping the gun IMO. and this is their first show and first performance of brand new songs...and we are criticizing the strength and style of the falsetto :LOL: let the song breathe a little.

JJTheMuse not defending a new Muse song? Shocker.

At least it's better than Unnatural Selection :happy:

I'm sure it'll sound pristine in its mix on the record, but my main gripe is not being able to hear jack with the guitar + bass during the verses, Dom was really the standout player during this song. His drums were great.

I'm sure it'll sound pristine in its mix on the record, but my main gripe is not being able to hear jack with the guitar + bass during the verses, Dom was really the standout player during this song. His drums were great.

That's my main complaint too, but I'm putting that 100% down to the audio quality.

Here's where I stand. Almost every Muse song I've ever heard I was iffy on first listen. Then they grow on me.

The difference here, at least they're playing rock this time guys. At least we're not comparing these songs to Madness UD and Starlight.

Edited by Citizen_Eraser

The mix in Psycho sounds really good to me, so I don't expect that to be a concern for Reapers. And yeah the drums seem pretty nice.

The mix in Psycho sounds really good to me, so I don't expect that to be a concern for Reapers. And yeah the drums seem pretty nice.

Yeah I'm sure it'll be a delight to listen to the whole record with the level of production it has. I'm not abandoning hope for Reapers yet, but it just doesn't feel like a Muse track at all. Granted, I haven't said that about anything they've put out for the last two albums, so there's that.