Yeah, think about it, if Matt is talking lyrically about a continuation from CE and has discussed how the tracks on Drones move along as a concept of a guy left empty by the world, gets hijacked, become drone etc?

Yes and? Where does Dead Inside come in?

And Matt never specifially talked about a lyrical continuation.

Just went to pre-order the Drones CD + DVD because I saw I could get Psycho digital copy for free (and Dead Inside next week). Cost £13.99, ok I thought, but just before checking out I saw that delivery was £3-something! So that would be £17-something for everything. Just checked Amazon, CD + DVD available for £12.99, and free delivery. So by pre-ordering through Muse, I'd get digital copies of 2 songs 3 months before the album release, but I'd have to pay over £4 more? Not really worth it is it, especially seeing as I'll be able to listen to Psycho and Dead Inside more or less on demand through YouTube anyway.

So much cheese, lack of tact in the lyrics. I don't know. I love this riff but feel like it's been wasted on this song. I hope musically the album continues in this direction musically , but since the resistance everything muse do seems to have a free of cringeworthiness. The drill sergeant thing is a classic example. It just feels like a bunch of 30-something guys trying to still be cool and relevant.

The real issue is whether they think this is a good idea for hype. The immediate hype will benefit greatly from the tracks floating around, even creating a spike of pre-orders, but I almost feel like they're going to do something during that one month of down time and just haven't announced it yet.

They'll definitely have something planned

Yes and? Where does Dead Inside come in?

And Matt never specifially talked about a lyrical continuation.

He did at one stage when talking with fans in Vancouver, as well as a sequel/second part to CE. He separately mentioned trying to write songs like he used to, to see if he could.

Dead Inside could suggest that the character of CE has been left feeling empty, dejected, open to this conditioning/psychological abuse.

I'm not sure where else I'd see a CE2 fitting into the context of the concept album.

I think the song is ok, but that kinda puts it in the middle. A comment on the video kinda shared my own view that I'll look forward to the album if it goes down that road in general, but I'll likely be disappointed if that's actually a highlight.

This pretty well sums up my feeling.

Are we agreed the cover is rubbish? :chuckle:

I think the majority like it, including me. It's way better than T2L.

He did at one stage when talking with fans in Vancouver, as well as a sequel/second part to CE. He separately mentioned trying to write songs like he used to, to see if he could.

Dead Inside could suggest that the character of CE has been left feeling empty, dejected, open to this conditioning/psychological abuse.

I'm not sure where else I'd see a CE2 fitting into the context of the concept album.

He told the fans in Vancouver that it was a lyrical continuation?

Still don't see how that's "perfectly logical". Especially not since he said he wasn't even sure it'd end up on the album. I doubt they would then pick that song as a single.

So much cheese, lack of tact in the lyrics. I don't know. I love this riff but feel like it's been wasted on this song. I hope musically the album continues in this direction musically , but since the resistance everything muse do seems to have a free of cringeworthiness. The drill sergeant thing is a classic example. It just feels like a bunch of 30-something guys trying to still be cool and relevant.

Literally what would you expect though of this riff in a song? The riff is the riff. It is no other riff. I see nothing cringeworthy about this track, at all. The whole point is this is a solitary unit in what is shaping up to be a cohesive concept album. The main things under fire (lyrics + drill sergeant) are the very things that owe themselves to this concept. Why is that such a bad thing? I'd sure rather hear something about a political message that is less basic than vague, innocuous references to "they", and "they will not destroy us" or whatever. Much, much rather what we have to trash like "she attacks me like a leo, my heart is split like Rio". Really the complaints about this track are whiney.

Literally what would you expect though of this riff in a song? The riff is the riff. It is no other riff. I see nothing cringeworthy about this track, at all. The whole point is this is a solitary unit in what is shaping up to be a cohesive concept album. The main things under fire (lyrics + drill sergeant) are the very things that owe themselves to this concept. Why is that such a bad thing? I'd sure rather hear something about a political message that is less basic than vague, innocuous references to "they", and "they will not destroy us" or whatever. Much, much rather what we have to trash like "she attacks me like a leo, my heart is split like Rio". Really the complaints about this track are whiney.

I don't get the problem with the drill sergeant? I think those bits make the track come alive.

He told the fans in Vancouver that it was a lyrical continuation?

Still don't see how that's "perfectly logical". Especially not since he said he wasn't even sure it'd end up on the album. I doubt they would then pick that song as a single.

To be fair I really do think writing CEII ended up becoming the entire record. Once we get a track about the breakdown of self/identity from a first person POV, potentially with musical leitmotifs from the original CE, will we be able to figure out whether it made the cut or not. I feel it should be fairly obvious if it did. On that note, the Milan strings sound very similar to the strings that got cut from the original CE.

I don't get the problem with the drill sergeant? I think those bits make the track come alive.

It really does, and provides the entire context for what he's even talking about. Otherwise, it's like "wtf why are you talking about asses and psychos?" It's a perfectly fine stylistic choice that furthers the concept and doesn't undermine the music, at all. Animals, however, had a stylistic choice that while cool "in concept" its execution was fairly poor because the loud mix drowned out the only really "heavy" part of the song (the outro) and it was rather noisy. Here, all samples like that are used well.

They're really forced and they're excessively thrown in the middle of the song. Not to mention that the sergeant in the video looks dumb.

"He looks dumb"

-fabri 2015

3/10 almost got me going there

Have no clue how the drill sergeant was forced when that whole original clip was expressly recorded for the song as it was being made. The sergeant's parts in the middle of the song are barely even sprinkled in. Guarantee you you'd be complaining it's "too simple" if all of that was excluded.

woooow just heard it, sweeeet :LOL:

but:

-what's up with "your ass belongs to me now"? :LOL:

-super drone? srsly?

-the sergeant does, indeed, look dumb.

other than that, it's keeeeewl. would've loved to hear some actual harsh vocals from matt, but it's still great :facemelt:

It really does, and provides the entire context for what he's even talking about. Otherwise, it's like "wtf why are you talking about asses and psychos?" It's a perfectly fine stylistic choice that furthers the concept and doesn't undermine the music, at all. Animals, however, had a stylistic choice that while cool "in concept" its execution was fairly poor because the loud mix drowned out the only really "heavy" part of the song (the outro) and it was rather noisy. Here, all samples like that are used well.

Yep, it simply works. I don't expect everyone to agree of course but I think this is the best track they've put out in ages.