Record labels have gotten way better at containing leaks. Every now and then one leaks like months before like The Pale Emperor or Vulnicura, but it's rare to see leaks in that 2-5 week range anymore. Singles rarely leak.

Not really. If you're just talking major labels then yeah, but about 90% of albums will leak at least one-two weeks before.

Preordering is terrible and has ruined the video game industry, as well as most industries that rely on it. I don't care about the reasons behind it, I'll buy my vinyl copy on release day and hope it comes with a digital copy, if it doesn't, I just download it through other means.

Yeah I get how they can benefit from it but what is the incentive for the consumer if it doesn't come with anything extra?

Yeah, the video game industry is definitely what came to mind, but with the sales of movies and music tanking, they could face similar problems.

The gaming industry was just much easier to destroy, because illegal access to the product is a lot more inaccessible than music/movies.

Unless you're buying Call of Duty, there's no incentive for a retailer to order any copies of video games over the pre-sale amount, even games that stores receive are extremely limited to a handful of copies, and it's become damn near impossible to buy most games that come out without securing a pre-order and putting money down.

So, the benefit of pre-ordering will become being able to actually buy the item, and bonuses wouldn't really be needed.

Just asking,if this isn't appropriate notify me and move it if possible: Will everyone here preorder the album? I won't,and that's because I never preorder anything,I wouldn't want to preorder and then be disappointed and have paid money for music I won't like to listen to.

Why wouldn't I? Muse is one of those bands I would preorder with my eyes closed.

On a side note, new albums are dirt cheap in Russian iTunes store. For example, Madonna's new album costs $14,99 in US iTunes vs $3,85 in Russian store (protip: change your country in iTunes for gorillions of profit).