But you don't need pre-excitement if the video does the exact same job.

Yeah, I mean a tweet like "video soon" would've done the pre-excitement job for them. In fact that's cryptic enough for this board to blow up with even more speculation. I don't think this was a marketing stunt.

But you don't need pre-excitement if the video does the exact same job. How is this not obvious? You can send someone a video just as well as...a video teasing about a video.

And fans like you who weren't very interested about this album would Watch the video just as well as the...video teasing the video. Hence nothing is gained.

I wouldn't have been in here talking about all of this stuff though, or discussing them with my peers and family. They would have had less mindshare in general.

With your logic, why even release a single at all? The album will be coming anyway, we can just hear it then.

Yeah, I mean a tweet like "video soon" would've done the pre-excitement job for them. In fact that's cryptic enough for this board to blow up with even more speculation. I don't think this was a marketing stunt.

That clip wasn't random. That portion of the song was chosen for a reason.

They knew full well the impact that that riff would have.

I wouldn't have been in here talking about all of this stuff though, or discussing them with my peers and family. They would have had less mindshare in general.

With your logic, why even release a single at all? The album will be coming anyway, we can just hear it then.

Yes, until tonight when you would have seen the video.

Because a single is mainly for non-fans. Honestly what are you not getting? You're not gonna charm the general public with a 10 second clip, it's not gonna be played on the radio, it's not gonna get into the charts, and it's not gonna win awards.

And listening to a teaser is comparable to watching a video because you'll probably hear that exact same riff pretty much instantly anyway. It's quite different with an entire album because it's a much bigger commitment for the listener.

That clip wasn't random. That portion of the song was chosen for a reason.

They knew full well the impact that that riff would have.

I mean it was, but I think it was so fans could hear it and say "oh that's neat. they've been talking about an album for a while, glad I could hear it." than to try to draw in new fans and generate hype for a hype video. They knew it would end up hyping everyone up, but if they wanted explicitly for it to hype a new fan base they would have created a full hype video and advertised it like they did with Unsustainable before T2L.

Yes, until tonight when you would have seen the video.

Because a single is mainly for non-fans. Honestly what are you not getting? You're not gonna charm the general public with a 10 second clip, it's not gonna be played on the radio, it's not gonna get into the charts, and it's not gonna win awards.

And listening to a teaser is comparable to watching a video because you'll probably hear that exact same riff pretty much instantly anyway. It's quite different with an entire album because it's a much bigger commitment for the listener.

The fact that we are even having a discussion is proof of the effectiveness of that clip, and that is undeniable.

The fact that we are even having a discussion is proof of the effectiveness of that clip, and that is undeniable.

Ah yes, you and me, two people who would obviously not be talking about Muse, were it not for this teaser.

I mean it was, but I think it was so fans could hear it and say "oh that's neat. they've been talking about an album for a while, glad I could hear it." than to try to draw in new fans and generate hype for a hype video. They knew it would end up hyping everyone up, but if they wanted explicitly for it to hype a new fan base they would have created a full hype video and advertised it like they did with Unsustainable before T2L.

All of the non-muse fans around me now know all of the current information about them because I saw the video. Humans are social creatures that like to share, especially when they are excited about something. It simply pushes them further in to the collective consciousness, which is a very good thing when releasing a product.

All of the non-muse fans around me now know all of the current information about them because I saw the video. Humans are social creatures that like to share, especially when they are excited about something. It simply pushes them further in to the collective consciousness, which is a very good thing when releasing a product.
It's funny, this exact quote could just as well be about someone who saw the Music video.

Ah yes, you and me, two people who would obviously not be talking about Muse, were it not for this teaser.

I know I wouldn't have been.

And my last log in to this forum before this week would have been years ago.

And no, you and I would not have been talking about Muse with each other were it not for the teaser because I would not be in here were it not for the teaser.

But is that making your friends excited for the video? Because my entire social group despises that I even like Muse because of how much I liked that riff. They know it exists, but it's not really reaching them. It's a very unedited, raw sound clip of people in a studio discussing a song. To the fans, it means something, but to everyone else it's just "oh here goes the muse base getting excited over nothing again"

Releasing a high-quality single and advertising it is a much better way to spread the word. Get the fanbase talking about that, give them something to show off, THEN you're going to draw in new fans. There's something for them to like.

Can we get back on topic? I think it's safe to say the clip has generated hype for anything to come, whoever saw those will be interested in material that lies ahead. Same with the video, when the video comes out and people see it they will be excited. There's really nothing else to it

But is that making your friends excited for the video? Because my entire social group despises that I even like Muse because of how much I liked that riff. They know it exists, but it's not really reaching them. It's a very unedited, raw sound clip of people in a studio discussing a song. To the fans, it means something, but to everyone else it's just "oh here goes the muse base getting excited over nothing again"

Doesn't matter, they're a topic.