That makes about the whole of 3 people that don't like the cover. This literally looks like Storm Thorgerson's work, so I don't understand the hate.

Blimey, you are wound up tight. Have you considered that not everyone needs to agree with you? Don't get your knickers in a twist. Relax, man! It's a Muse board. There's no need to be aggressive

It does look like a sub-par Storm work, but I'd argue that the only genuinely good album cover he made for Muse was for Absolution. So I don't understand why that should make me automatically like it.

Blimey, you are wound up tight. Have you considered that not everyone needs to agree with you? Don't get your knickers in a twist. Relax, man! It's a Muse board. There's no need to be aggressive

It does look like a sub-par Storm work, but the only genuinely good album cover he made for Muse was for Absolution. So I don't understand why that should make me automatically like it.

Main thing is the complains I've heard are silly. You didn't say it, but some say "it's too literal". Does it really matter? I could care less as long as it looks good, and there are still different ways to interpret any cover really. I wasn't really trying to be aggressive either. I thought BHAR was also pretty solid considering it looked good and all the spacey themes of the album it encapsulated. Best thing about this artwork is the throwback to Absolution and Storm's work for that one.

It's indeed very literal: If you think about it,Matt basically describes the cover in that description: The world is run by drones - the big hand -,using Drones - the small hand -,to turn us all into Drones - the shadows of people "outside" that "room" -. But I like how it is very much linking to the album's concept.

It's indeed very literal: If you think about it,Matt basically describes the cover in that description: The world is run by drones - the big hand -,using Drones - the small hand -,to turn us all into Drones - the shadows of people "outside" that "room" -. But I like how it is very much linking to the album's concept.

Yep, but I don't think it being literal is in any way a bad thing. To me it suggests an overall coherency of theme.

I was only a causal fan last time we had a release, what are we thinking of the hype levels this time around compared to last time. I can't remember the announcement being quite so immediate and on the same scale as this, what I'm getting at is it seems Warner are really getting behind this release in a big way when compared to the T2L.

Couple more things I'm loving the artwork and the announcement as a whole, I take my hat off to the marketing team they have done a great job so far :)

Main thing is the complains I've heard are silly. You didn't say it, but some say "it's too literal". Does it really matter? I could care less as long as it looks good, and there are still different ways to interpret any cover really. I wasn't really trying to be aggressive either. I thought BHAR was also pretty solid considering it looked good and all the spacey themes of the album it encapsulated. Best thing about this artwork is the throwback to Absolution and Storm's work for that one.

I would say that it's too literal. It's not subtle or mysterious (see OOS, Absolution, Resistance, or even BH&R to an extent), but like being hit over the head with an overtly simplistic one-dimensional statement. I'd also argue that the best album covers have a strong visual centre point, and a simplicity, or at least symmetry. The Drones cover lacks a visual centre point (the centre of this image is the left edge of the screen), it is visually clustered and clumsy with no sense of symmetry, and lacks a strong, simple visual focus. By the latter, I mean I'd prefer just that image on the computer screen to be the album cover - maybe with the pulled back image/actual cover on the inside.

I would say that it's too literal. It's not subtle or mysterious (see OOS, Absolution, Resistance, or even BH&R to an extent), but like being hit over the head with an overtly simplistic one-dimensional statement. I'd also argue that the best album covers have a strong visual centre point, and a simplicity, or at least symmetry. The Drones cover lacks a visual centre point (the centre of this image is the left edge of the screen), it is visually clustered and clumsy with no sense of symmetry, and lacks a strong, simple visual focus. By the latter, I mean I'd prefer just that image on the computer screen to be the album cover - maybe with the pulled back image/actual cover on the inside.

It may be too litteral but the album will probably be so too as, to me, there are clues it's gonna be more direct and heavy. So I think it's in link with the general subject....

And the lack of symmetry is obviously a choice of the artist, as there is kind of a chain of command, like a hierarchy in the picture...

So, this cover is from my point of view a success (with the informations we have) and a bit of a nerve racking...

I think the cover is pretty straightforward however I like it. Especially the fact that walking army on screen lacks arms is very impressive for me. Im from a country where media control, political opression and stuff is very high (Turkey) and it is often forgetten that ending opression is only possible by actions of the very lower end of power pyramid. In cover the very lower end is lacking arms, arms as in body part which we use to control and fight and arms as in weapons or skills. So there is literally no hope for them. They are complete drones.