Are we still going on about lyrics? Muse's lyrics have always been tacky. I thought we had all agreed this.

Hence:

Somehow I don't trust Matt to actually deal with stuff in an articulate and creative manner in his lyrics.

I think the only Muse lyrics I actively dislike are Survival and Big Freeze's. Otherwise I can tolerate everything else, I don't really go to Muse for a serious listen anyways!

Very excited for Psycho tomorrow. I'll have to wait a whole hour and a half to hear it though :'(

I wonder if we'll get track lengths on iTunes tomorrow. Would be interesting if there's gonna be any 6+ minute long songs!

Shitty lyrics are okay when it's about nonsense. But if he's actually trying to make a point, it becomes really awkward.

This.

I find most of Matt's attempts at thematic or political lyrics deeply cringeworthy. He just doesn't have the slight of hand of other lyricists.

Fortunately, he more than makes up with it in terms of musicianship. Hence, I'm sure some stonking riffery on this album will more than paper over any cracks in the lyrics.

So long as there are no more fucking clouds of gas :vomit:.

Yeah but as Simon said it's kinda going to be more noticeable if they're shit this time. And I totally expect them to be. I mean, Lee Sayer likes them. And Matt described the theme with "The world is run by Drones utilizing Drones to turn us all into Drones.".

If this is Muse's 3rd, 2nd or 1st best album musically, and it's ruined by shitty lyrics... That will be unbelievably disappointing. I don't need them to be good lyrics to enjoy a song, but if they're so awkward and cringey that they're distracting...

Shitty lyrics are okay when it's about nonsense. But if he's actually trying to make a point, it becomes really awkward.

It also depends on how the cheese is delivered. "Brainwashing our children to be mean" goes full on Andrew Lloyd Webber. If he delivers the cheese in a bit of a Dead Star/Hyper Music/Psycho(?) manner I'd be able to handle it a lot better.

Actually, I think I'm being a touch harsh - Ruled By Secrecy, for instance, has great lyrics.

Generally he's fine if he's leaning more on vague imagery, a la Chino Moreno. I'd say he does better than most lyricists I've heard tackling politics, but the general success rate on that is pretty low.