Hi everyone,

Just wondering about something - I need to get some new strings pretty soon, but I wondered if anyone has any experience of some of those coated brands or whatever? I usually use standard EB strings, but since the move to Thailand I've had to deal with them rusting and so on a lot quicker than I was used to in the UK (the frets also get dirty a hell of a lot quicker and things like that too but I don't think there's much I can do about that except keep cleaning them whenever I'm changing strings, etc).

Anyway, I've heard before about some other string options that had some kind of coating to supposedly protect them a bit more and so on, but I never really had any issue before and I wasn't convinced they'd be worth the extra money, etc, not having any direct experience of them. Anyone here know a bit more? If there's little to no difference, then I can still stick with normal strings, but it's just a bit frustrating having to basically wipe the new rust off them virtually every time I play. I've even had brand new strings inside the sealed packaging that I've opened and found them in nowhere near perfect condition occasionally.

But yeah, I keep forgetting to order some new strings anyway and will probably try and get it done in the next few days, so if anyone's got any ideas, etc, that would be great. And no, James, there's no new updates about my custom either, haha!

Hi everyone,

Just wondering about something - I need to get some new strings pretty soon, but I wondered if anyone has any experience of some of those coated brands or whatever? I usually use standard EB strings, but since the move to Thailand I've had to deal with them rusting and so on a lot quicker than I was used to in the UK (the frets also get dirty a hell of a lot quicker and things like that too but I don't think there's much I can do about that except keep cleaning them whenever I'm changing strings, etc).

Anyway, I've heard before about some other string options that had some kind of coating to supposedly protect them a bit more and so on, but I never really had any issue before and I wasn't convinced they'd be worth the extra money, etc, not having any direct experience of them. Anyone here know a bit more? If there's little to no difference, then I can still stick with normal strings, but it's just a bit frustrating having to basically wipe the new rust off them virtually every time I play. I've even had brand new strings inside the sealed packaging that I've opened and found them in nowhere near perfect condition occasionally.

But yeah, I keep forgetting to order some new strings anyway and will probably try and get it done in the next few days, so if anyone's got any ideas, etc, that would be great. And no, James, there's no new updates about my custom either, haha!

Good, I was about to say you posted in the wrong thread.

As for strings, Hugh seemed to think highly of those elixr optiwebs. I will say this though, and I know @musecasters has had the same experience... EBs aren't really as good as they once were. Mine go a bit dull within an hour of playing, and I'm not even Texan.

Give another brand a try and see if you notice an improvement, but otherwise, maybe give the elixrs a go.

EB's suck these days. I put elixirs on my acoustic and I like them, but the plain strings still go dull.

Have they changed the materials the strings are made of or something? I’ve broken a few EBs recently, which never used to happen.

Also finally sold my blue box! Now someone buy Jaicen’s amp.

Where are the strings breaking @nerd herd? At the saddles, or just in different places?

The problem I'm having is that the plain strings are often corroded right out of the packaging, and they really don't last long at all. The last few sets weren't as bad, but still had some visible texan mojo.

I've been using the Manson strings recently and I'm pretty happy with them. Just wish they were easier to source over here.

Where are the strings breaking @nerd herd? At the saddles, or just in different places?

The problem I'm having is that the plain strings are often corroded right out of the packaging, and they really don't last long at all. The last few sets weren't as bad, but still had some visible texan mojo.

I've been using the Manson strings recently and I'm pretty happy with them. Just wish they were easier to source over here.

Usually at the saddles, but not so much on my guitar with the graphtech saddles. I’ve never really had corrosion though, but I wipe the strings A LOT after each time I play.

I’ll try some Manson ones next time, they don’t go thicker than 10-52 though do they?

Usually at the saddles, but not so much on my guitar with the graphtech saddles. I’ve never really had corrosion though, but I wipe the strings A LOT after each time I play.

I’ll try some Manson ones next time, they don’t go thicker than 10-52 though do they?

Not necessarily corrosion/mojo, but any kind of #grime. The yamaha I had (120S of course...but in white) would break strings at the saddles at least once a week, but I do remember that guitar was fairly filthy from the beginning.

And they don't. For heavier strings (assuming you mean heavier than 11s for more QOTSA) I go with rotosound when possible. You can get the purples (12s) or grays (13s)

I think you can get the #JaicenApproved d'addarios in heavy gauges too, but if I'm honest, I haven't bought any of their strings in years. Some of my guitars have come with them, but I always change them out within a week... not so much because they're bad, but because I need to keep things consistent :nerd::herd:

The problem I'm having is that the plain strings are often corroded right out of the packaging, and they really don't last long at all.

This is pretty much the problem for me too. The faults out of the packaging are a real pain as for one thing it makes the thinner strings more likely to break almost immediately, but also can make them feel horrible to play with pretty quickly. The rate of rusting and so on is then definitely much more extreme here than anything I had in the UK. I've even had it on pickup surround screws and the guitar case latches, but it's the strings which are most frustrating, and that's compounded by the fact it's very rare now that I can play more than once a week. So I can easily go back to a guitar after a couple of weeks in its case and have to wipe down a load of rust off the strings before I even start. I don't know what the best alternatives are though really or if it's the same across the board anyway.

And they don't. For heavier strings (assuming you mean heavier than 11s for more QOTSA) I go with rotosound when possible. You can get the purples (12s) or grays (13s)

I think you can get the #JaicenApproved d'addarios in heavy gauges too, but if I'm honest, I haven't bought any of their strings in years. Some of my guitars have come with them, but I always change them out within a week... not so much because they're bad, but because I need to keep things consistent :nerd::herd:

I ended up just keeping that guitar set up for standard tuning, so no C standard QOTSA for me. Might try some rotosounds or d'addarios for the 11s I use for drop C if the EBs keep breaking. Might also get graphtech saddles for my other strat to keep them both consistent :nerd:

Hi everyone,

Just wondering about something - I need to get some new strings pretty soon, but I wondered if anyone has any experience of some of those coated brands or whatever?

I exclusively use Elixir strings because my sweat corrodes strings in a matter of days. They sound and feel amazing. I only use the regular elixir .10s though, always have and always will. Strings went from lasting a week to lasting a month or more with little cleaning. I haven't had a chance to try the other kinds of coated strings though.

Try out some of those gold plated #brianmayapproved strings? I know that he has a rep for changing strings very rarely, and must have a light touch as he played 8's for 40 odd years, though he's now rocking more reasonable 9's.

Wasn't one of the guys in (rule 1) talking about those brian may strings not too long ago? I don't think many people took notice.

Anyone own a POG2 - and thoughts in comparison to the Whammy? Obviously it's much more customizable, but aside from that on tone, etc?

I haven't.

But I had a micro POG for a while. If it's just the basic sounds you want, then that one might be worth considering. It has a slightly different sound than the whammy, and tracks a lot better I've found.

Right now I have the pitchfork. Sort of a different pedal, but I'm using it for the same purpose really. Only complaint is that in the dual mode, it seems like the -1/+1 octaves are a bit uneven, and they can't be adjusted individually.

But it works well enough for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEpRzzhFxY8