Any y'all seen Biffy recently? They're coming here in April but I haven't seen them live since 2010 and don't know if they're gonna be worth the $90 this time round with how poor their last album was.

I saw them a few months back. It was worth it for me because it was a small club show of maybe 200 people max because people in the states don't love the biff. and i haven't ever seen them live prior. $90 for a GA pit at a large venue is a little more eh. I don't mind the last album but they did play a fair number of tunes from it when I saw them. Not sure of the most recent setlists though.

Random thought: Jaicen & musecasters, since you guys build guitars, what do you think of Fender's move to use Pau Ferro on all MIM guitars instead of rosewood? Is it a close subsitute? Are there any other woods that aren't traditionally used for fretboards but would be closer to rosewood?

Random thought: Jaicen & musecasters, since you guys build guitars, what do you think of Fender's move to use Pau Ferro on all MIM guitars instead of rosewood? Is it a close subsitute? Are there any other woods that aren't traditionally used for fretboards but would be closer to rosewood?

You're thinking of buying that tele, aren't you?

There are some that are similar (bubinga for example), but they're now also covered by the CITES regs, so people can't try passing off rosewood as a non-convention alternative.

If you're thinking of getting a custom, don't worry too much you can still get pretty much whatever you want, it just comes with an extra charge on top, but I understand Pau Ferro is good, and has been used as a substitute for true rosewoods.

As to what I think of the move to Pau Ferro, I think there's no need for scarce tropical hardwoods on cheap guitars. I think they should ditch the Pau Ferro to be honest, and go exclusively maple. It's less of an issue for Fender than say, Gibson for example.

To be honest, I expect to see Pau Ferro on the CITES list in a few years time, along with all genus' of Ebony, Ziricote, and basically any other tropical hardwoods from rainforest sources.

You're living at the tail end of the golden age of guitar building.

You're thinking of buying that tele, aren't you?

Haha no, maybe TVL's JM before it gets a Pau Ferro fretboard. :ninja:

I always liked the look of darker rosewood boards anyway. If I were to get a custom I would get ebony.

James said ebony feels a lot different, so that can't be a rosewood substitute. I think Gibson was testing out richlite last year or the year before on a couple guitars - I wonder how that's going. Tbh if richlite feels like real wood, I would be happy to get a guitar with a richlite board.

I do agree Jaicen, I absolutely don't think slapping rosewood on a $199 Squier is sensible or sustainable :facepalm:

Actually I'd go a bit further, it should probably be reserved for the high end 'nice pieces'.

There's other synthetic substitutes in addition to richlite, one of which is a rosewood type made from bamboo fibre or something. It looks pretty sweet to be honest, and something I'd like to try.

The jazzmaster gas is now stronger.

Seems that Rich Costey is working with Death Cab just now as well, so that Muse only recording a few songs at a time thing might actually be happening. Just better songs than dig down hopefully :chuckle:

I am way too excited for that Death Cab news

http://www.musicradar.com/news/joe-bonamassa-using-pedals-that-make-you-sound-like-everything-but-your-guitar-is-fking-lazy

“I’ve really gotten over pedals. I can’t keep up with this craze of boutique pedals that make you sound like everything but your guitar. I can’t get my head around it. So you don’t want to play a guitar [properly] so you buy a box that makes it sound like an algorithm, like you just fired up your computer and you can spend the night staring at your fuckin’ shoes? C’mon man…

“I know I’ll get shit for saying this, but it’s fucking lazy. It’s insulting to people who spent 35 years playing and learning, like a lot of players. And we continue to work at it! These guys can barely play a chord but call themselves soundscapists. Get the fuck outta here! It’s bullshit. There’s so much masking and spin going on there. Can we get real for a minute? What do you actually play? Pick up an acoustic guitar… try that!”

Detecting some (not so) subtle jealousy here...

Maybe he’s upset he couldn’t make a good midi file for motp

That post probably will hit most of K&T in the feels. Thing is, at least we (referring to most other guitarists) haven't spent over 35 years practicing the same recycled blues licks.

It's the equivalent of only playing the psycho riff for over 35 years, and refusing to try something different. I realize we will be playing the psycho riff several decades from now, but it's not because we're all narrow-minded pricks, but because we actually don't know how to play anything else...

That post probably will hit most of K&T in the feels. Thing is, at least we (referring to most other guitarists) haven't spent over 35 years practicing the same recycled blues licks.

It's the equivalent of only playing the psycho riff for over 35 years, and refusing to try something different. I realize we will be playing the psycho riff several decades from now, but it's not because we're all narrow-minded pricks, but because we actually don't know how to play anything else...

Not as bad as the reapers midi file feels.

Doesn't he have a few signature pedals? Must barely be able to play a chord :chuckle:

you know me so well.

In fairness to Joe, he can really play, and he seeks out legit gear to do so. I dont really like his music, but I respect him as a player. Just watch him playing Clapton off the stage to see how good he is.

That said, I think his comments maybe don't read the way he meant, and they do make him sound a knob.

Not as bad as the reapers midi file feels.

Doesn't he have a few signature pedals? Must barely be able to play a chord :chuckle:

Really? I'd say that's easy compared to MOTP! Just a bit time consuming, but not as time consuming as trying to figure out the patterns in every bar throughout MOTP.

I'm sure Olly could figure it out without even listening at this point. Not that I would recommend tweeting him or Dom from the band Muse...

And I believe so. I remember he has his own fuzz face (isn't that special?) which probably is inferior to anything Jaicen could build.

you know me so well.

In fairness to Joe, he can really play, and he seeks out legit gear to do so. I dont really like his music, but I respect him as a player. Just watch him playing Clapton off the stage to see how good he is.

That said, I think his comments maybe don't read the way he meant, and they do make him sound a knob.

Well I meant K&T as a whole. There are guys out there in those watered down metallica/deftones tribute bands playing for an unfortunate amount of high school drop outs, and we're just here playing the psycho riff in our living rooms.

Oddly specific example, but I'm fine with it.

And I realize he knows what a guitar is, but I could certainly respect him more if he got off his high horse. It's fair enough if he's not into that avant-garde thing that all the cool kids are doing, but surely a guitarist these days should be willing to have an open mind when it comes to different sounds.

But what do I know. I just hide my playing with these algo_rhythms and don't speak pentatonic.

Is that available in the US then, I thought the BBC was region locked?

Tried to listen but gave up after I registered an account then it wanted me to do a survey, then check parental guidance settings, then it asked me to install an app. Fuck you BBC just give me free content.

Really? I'd say that's easy compared to MOTP! Just a bit time consuming, but not as time consuming as trying to figure out the patterns in every bar throughout MOTP.

My patterns for MOTP aren’t 100% accurate yet.

I gave up trying making one for reapers cause I’m terrible with cubase though. Easier to make an attempt at it using the treadle. Works fairly well... maybe.