Ah okay, I assumed ribbon and figure of 8 meant essentially the same thing. That's great though thanks. When you say match the microphones, would that not be an XY pattern? The chap I saw explaining mid-side was that one microphone was capturing directly from the source while the ribbon was picking up everything either side of it.

By 'match' just meant two of the same type of microphone, so same frequency response (Or similar at least, as different patterns can affect it). More used to using AKG C414's for this sort of thing, which you can switch the polar pattern on.

That is bit of an oversimplified explanation. The mics pick up more or less the same (can even use omni for the mid mic), just how its processed separates it out. Which is probably the worst explanation ever! :LOL:

By 'match' just meant two of the same type of microphone, so same frequency response (Or similar at least, as different patterns can affect it). More used to using AKG C414's for this sort of thing, which you can switch the polar pattern on.

That is bit of an oversimplified explanation. The mics pick up more or less the same (can even omni for the mid mic), just how its processed creates separates it out. Which is probably the worst explanation ever! :LOL:

Haha no I think I understand. Do you mean the process of duplicating the ribbon track and putting it out of phase? Is that what "mid-side" is referring to?

So you're suggesting two matched microphones with one switched to polar to act as the ribbon mic? That makes sense to me.

Who knows, I may be better off going for two matched condensers in a spaced pattern as jaicen suggested. Lots to look into.

Haha no I think I understand. Do you mean the process of duplicating the ribbon track and putting it out of phase? Is that what "mid-side" is referring to?

So you're suggesting two matched microphones with one switched to polar to act as the ribbon mic? That makes sense to me.

Who knows, I may be better off going for two matched condensers in a spaced pattern as jaicen suggested. Lots to look into.

Nah you don't need to have matched microphones, just better if you can, that's all.

That's one aspect of the technique, you can mix & match, as long as one can do figure-of-8, you're all good to go. So it can be good if you're on a tight budget as you can get two different mics which are useful for different things and still get stereo from them.

But yeah, its not always ideal, especially in a not too great room.

Nah you don't need to have matched microphones, just better if you can, that's all.

That's one aspect of the technique, you can mix & match, as long as one can do figure-of-8, you're all good to go. So it can be good if you're on a tight budget as you can get two different mics which are useful for different things and still get stereo from them.

But yeah, its not always ideal, especially in a not too great room.

Ah okay that all makes sense. I'm looking at a pair of Rode M5 cardioid condensers at the minute. Seem to be a decent entry level option, don't seem to be capable of figure-8 but maybe mid-side should be left for when I've a bit more experience (and cash) to do it properly.

What would you recommend for a decent audio interface? Probably won't need more than 2/3 inputs at the minute, obviously with phantom power. A decent headphone monitor would be good too actually. I'm really clueless when it comes to this though :LOL:

Ah okay that all makes sense. I'm looking at a pair of Rode M5 cardioid condensers at the minute. Seem to be a decent entry level option, don't seem to be capable of figure-8 but maybe mid-side should be left for when I've a bit more experience (and cash) to do it properly.

What would you recommend for a decent audio interface? Probably won't need more than 2/3 inputs at the minute, obviously with phantom power. A decent headphone monitor would be good too actually. I'm really clueless when it comes to this though :LOL:

Honestly have no idea! Most are acceptable enough these days

really depends on the music / guitar style you're recording. my personal preference when double tracking is a fairly bright small diaphragm condenser and a large diaphragm condenser for some body both pointing to the same spot around the 12th-15th frets. An M5 and something like an NT1 would work well on a budget. Otherwise I've had good results just going with a small diaphragm pair in XY at around the same spot which the M5s should work pretty well for. This is a really good lil article to have a read / listen of in terms of acoustic micing http://blog.discmakers.com/2013/08/10-mic-placements-for-acoustic-guitar/

If you're keen on the M5s, I'd recommend checking out a pair of Teal CM-1s from 3u microphones: http://3uaudio.com/Show.asp?id=652

They're about the same price as the M5s ($210 USD for the pair last time I checked) but being large diaphragm I'd say they're a bit more versatile. In my experience they are the best sounding microphones in that price range - I've had great results with them on drum overheads and from the sound demos I've heard they sound great on acoustic guitar. They're designed and built by a guy in Sydney who used to engineer for Rode microphones. If you want to look into them and have a bit of a listen there's a huge thread on gearslutz where everyone is raving about them:

Gearslutz Thread

Sound Demos

For the interface I don't think you can really go past the Focusrite Scarlett series

that boy's a fuckin pleb.

What else do you expect from a fuckin raiders fan.

"I guess that's how they spell iron over there" oooh boy.

Heh

Seems like a good idea to check if there's a following when reviewing something. Especially if the followers are from Scotland.

Oh and also, does anyone still have that black pudding recipe? Didn't try it last time, but might have to find some this time.

You mean to make black pudding, or to make it palatable?

It's lard and blood, I'm not sure how that can ever be considered food.

I wouldn't think so either, but I'm just trying to avoid another situation here

Black pudding, haggis, square sausage and a tattie scone.

If those arent in yer breakfast, you simply haven't lived.

really depends on the music / guitar style you're recording. my personal preference when double tracking is a fairly bright small diaphragm condenser and a large diaphragm condenser for some body both pointing to the same spot around the 12th-15th frets. An M5 and something like an NT1 would work well on a budget. Otherwise I've had good results just going with a small diaphragm pair in XY at around the same spot which the M5s should work pretty well for. This is a really good lil article to have a read / listen of in terms of acoustic micing http://blog.discmakers.com/2013/08/10-mic-placements-for-acoustic-guitar/

If you're keen on the M5s, I'd recommend checking out a pair of Teal CM-1s from 3u microphones: http://3uaudio.com/Show.asp?id=652

They're about the same price as the M5s ($210 USD for the pair last time I checked) but being large diaphragm I'd say they're a bit more versatile. In my experience they are the best sounding microphones in that price range - I've had great results with them on drum overheads and from the sound demos I've heard they sound great on acoustic guitar. They're designed and built by a guy in Sydney who used to engineer for Rode microphones. If you want to look into them and have a bit of a listen there's a huge thread on gearslutz where everyone is raving about them:

Gearslutz Thread

Sound Demos

For the interface I don't think you can really go past the Focusrite Scarlett series

That's brilliant help, thank you. I'll look into Teal's right now.

I wouldn't think so either, but I'm just trying to avoid another situation here

Correct. You too Jaicen. Watch your step.

yeah that

Hey @dickmovedom, what's cheeky, but not as cheeky as a cheeky nando's?....

6AUMt8Z.jpg

I reckon that's quite cheeky, as far as cheeky goes

Side note, anyone on here got any experience with Orchard electronics? Looking at getting some DI boxes and heard good things. It's between them or Klark Technik

Need a bit of advice about amps.

I'm probably going to buy a valve amp at some point this year (finally). Fancy either a Vox AC30C2 or an AC15C2. Don't need anything crazy loud since I only play at bedroom volume or at small gigs. I usually have my amps set up so they sound a tiny bit dirty but still fairly clean, so would the AC15 be better? But it'll compress more easily (less headroom?) than the AC30 so might end up sounding a bit less chimey if it's fairly loud won't it?

Hope my slightly confused rambling makes sense here...

I'm probably going to buy a valve amp at some point this year (finally). Fancy either a Vox AC30C2 or an AC15C2. Don't need anything crazy loud since I only play at bedroom volume or at small gigs. I usually have my amps set up so they sound a tiny bit dirty but still fairly clean, so would the AC15 be better? But it'll compress more easily (less headroom?) than the AC30 so might end up sounding a bit less chimey if it's fairly loud won't it?

Both will be crazy loud for bedroom volume. I have the AC4C1-12 and it's a bit loud for my bedroom really.

Well sir having purchased an AC30C2 recently I can not recommend it highly enough. Its master volume makes it good to get a nice dirty tone at low volumes. But its a strictly 12 noon-7pm kinda amp in a bedroom environment :LOL:

The tone is absolutely beautiful, and I'm yet to properly crank it outside the house other than when I was testing it from the seller. One thing is for sure though, if you ever need to it could blow the roof off most small venues. I'm very very glad I bought it, even in a bedroom setting for now.

Used an AC10 at a gig once, was too quiet for clean sounds in that environment. Would be fine for home/bedroom use though.

It all depends on the drummer (assuming you have one) really. If you have a particular loud drummer, then the AC30 would be better, just might lean more towards clean.