by the way, has anyone figured out what songs Matt uses the MBC-1 on in the record? or do we all just assume he either used only his Mansons or just only very specifically used it for a couple parts? :p

I highly doubt he would really give up his actual mansons to record an album, just saying.

by the way, has anyone figured out what songs Matt uses the MBC-1 on in the record? or do we all just assume he either used only his Mansons or just only very specifically used it for a couple parts? :p

Yeah, that sounds highly unlikely. I suspect he only ever touched the Cort when he needed to take those promo pictures. Doesn't even crush them during shows, let alone play in the studio to record :rolleyes:

Remember reading somewhere the only guitars used in parts that made it to the actual record are the CE 7 String, the black MIDI Manson with P90s, one of the Matt Blacks and the Strat. *And of course an acoustic for the acoustic bits in the Globalist*

Remember reading somewhere the only guitars used in parts that made it to the actual record are the CE 7 String, the black MIDI Manson with P90s, one of the Matt Blacks and the Strat. *And of course an acoustic for the acoustic bits in the Globalist*

And if we're to go by the making of globalist/defector, the strat was used for the entirety of Defector :ninja:

And if we're to go by the making of globalist/defector, the strat was used for the entirety of Defector :ninja:

Didn't he use one of the matt blacks for overdubs or something for defector? I've not seen the video for ages so can't remember.

Finally got round to sorting the pots on my mbc, now I can use the volume control properly.

Spoke too soon, now the pot randomly cuts out if I touch it :facepalm:

thats what's happening to mine too

Don't touch it then. MB always leaves his controls all the way up, so you should too.

the only problem with mine is that my hands were gifted to me by Jotun, so they're big - when I get energetic with playing I'll touch the pot and the sound will cut temporarily.

Need to get a CTS pot with split shaft so I can install it without feeling bad....

thats what's happening to mine too

the only problem with mine is that my hands were gifted to me by Jotun, so they're big - when I get energetic with playing I'll touch the pot and the sound will cut temporarily.

Need to get a CTS pot with split shaft so I can install it without feeling bad....

Ya'll make me feel kind of bad because mine is working perfectly fine, I'm just snobby and I want to change things for... prevention. Or something. :$

Wanted to try the Firehawk out so instead of cramming for my midterm I did this earlier today. The tone was just some random user-made tone. Recorded with GarageBand. Sorry for my terrible playing, I only started teaching myself since June. Also I never recorded anything before :$

Now that I'm looking back at the vid I need to figure this guitar strap thing out. :stunned: Why did it keep flipping :stunned: made my wrist all fucked up :( I would love feedback and advice about my techniques though - nobody has ever seen me play before so I never know what I'm doing wrong. :happy:

A few questions:

1. I need a good cable because this one makes noises when I touch it. What's a good cable that's not too expensive?

2. Do I need a good USB cable connecting my Firehawk FX (Line 6) to my laptop, or is my Amazon basics cable good enough?

3. Would GarageBand suffice for my needs for now - just random recordings like this, nothing too fancy

Swear I saw a tele in a picture/video

Was a tele in an instagram post of him mucking about on the globalist slide parts but if i recall correctly he used the strat in the end.

Didn't he use one of the matt blacks for overdubs or something for defector? I've not seen the video for ages so can't remember.

Used the old Kaoss manson with the P90s I think

Now that I'm looking back at the vid I need to figure this guitar strap thing out. :stunned: Why did it keep flipping :stunned: made my wrist all fucked up :( I would love feedback and advice about my techniques though - nobody has ever seen me play before so I never know what I'm doing wrong. :happy:

A few questions:

1. I need a good cable because this one makes noises when I touch it. What's a good cable that's not too expensive?

2. Do I need a good USB cable connecting my Firehawk FX (Line 6) to my laptop, or is my Amazon basics cable good enough?

3. Would GarageBand suffice for my needs for now - just random recordings like this, nothing too fancy

Re-adjust your strap so that it's not twisted or anything and is perfectly straight. I dunno if it could be that but I think you have it so high that it practically forces itself to flip up like that on the top butt of the guitar. I also think it could be because of your playing position. Try playing it with the guitar facing more in front of you instead of to your side.

For your technique, try relaxing your hand more. While watching the video I felt so bad for your hand because it looked really strained and not comfortable. Basically, keep your ring and pinky finger resting on the humbucker or the treble strings, and get your middle finger to stay straight with your pointer. Kinda like you're flipping somebody off, but while holding a guitar pick. Look at Matt's hands when he plays riff-heavy songs life and you'll see what I mean, I've incorporated that form into my own playing and it helps tremendously, especially for Muse stuff.

On to the actual questions,

1. Well, first of all you'd want an angled-straight cable. These don't really sell for cheap unless you buy a terrible chinese made one off of ebay. Something from Live Wire or Pro Co should be about or a little under 20$. Mine's a Hosa Edge angled-straight cable and its super thick and heavy duty and can withstand a shit ton of being stepped on, also comes with a lifetime warranty so if it ever breaks on me I can get a replacement for free, at the expense of 35$ lol.

2. Doesn't really matter what kind of USB cable you use,what does matter though is what USB port you connect it to. Idk how well made your cable is though but I wouldn't use a bad quality cable for directly linking the firehawk to your PC for garageband.

3. I didn't know you could record with garageband but I've used it before and I wouldn't recommend it, for recording at least. I'd suggest if you wanted to record just "random recordings like this" you could get the Reaper DAW. You can get it for free from their website and you pretty much have 95% of the features unlocked already for free. The only thing about being on a trial version though is that you have to wait 10 seconds everytime you start it up because it asks you to purchase it, but you can just cancel after 10 seconds is up.

Edit: I've just noticed, your strap is ACTUALLY twisted. The thin bit that clips on to the bottom strap pin, unhook it from the straplock and straighten it then put it back on and you should be good to go.

Edited by jonbrown

Ya'll make me feel kind of bad because mine is working perfectly fine, I'm just snobby and I want to change things for... prevention. Or something. :$

I would love feedback and advice about my techniques though - nobody has ever seen me play before so I never know what I'm doing wrong. :happy:

Modding is half the fun of having a guitar! I'm 90% sure mine is just on the fritz because I play too heavy

also on technique, you're doing better than I was after what, only under a year of playing? so thats great! just adding on to what Jon said (since his post is pretty much what I would have said) is it also looked like your left hand was straining to keep the thumb behind the neck. While this is proper classical technique, it's not required as heavily otherwise, and it's mostly about comfort - Though it's very handy for long stretches. Make sure your left hand is relaxed, the playing felt and also looked a little too rigid and robot like.

Don't touch it then. MB always leaves his controls all the way up, so you should too.

Might be worth checking the ground connections on the back of the pot and the ground terminal as well.

:LOL:

Even if I accidentally bump the volume knob it'll cut out and need wiggled a bit to get any sound again. Took the knobs off and the shaft moves up and down a bit, so I think the pot is a wee bit fucked (so many jokes could be made from that sentence :chuckle:). The connections on the back look fine though.

Try to get into the habit of using your little finger on your left hand, it makes playing some stuff a lot easier.

Try to get into the habit of using your little finger on your left hand, it makes playing some stuff a lot easier.

I will I will. It's gotten a bit easier, but the guitar was in a weird position that day thanks to my stupid strap :/ I mostly play sitting down, so I have no idea how I should where the strap to hang the guitar still.

While this is proper classical technique, it's not required as heavily otherwise, and it's mostly about comfort - Though it's very handy for long stretches. Make sure your left hand is relaxed, the playing felt and also looked a little too rigid and robot like.
I'll try to relax my hands more. Thank you! and yeah modding is my favorite part of playing the guitar, to be honest. I didn't really enjoy it until I started modding. :$

Re-adjust your strap so that it's not twisted or anything and is perfectly straight. I dunno if it could be that but I think you have it so high that it practically forces itself to flip up like that on the top butt of the guitar. I also think it could be because of your playing position. Try playing it with the guitar facing more in front of you instead of to your side.

I'm really short and my hands are short, so I have to make the strap super short to even read the high frets. :$ My old strap was a wee bit longer and I just couldn't use it. I mostly play sitting down, so I'm not sure how to even hang the guitar. Do I want the neck parallel to the floor or at a 45 degrees angle? Also, does it matter how the straplock connects to the strap? It currently sits like this

4F9FO6gl.jpg

first of all you'd want an angled-straight cable.
Why a straight cable? I mostly play sitting down, so I got this thinking I wouldn't break it :$ I'll look into the brands you recommended, thank you!

And yeah, I probably need a better DAW. Didn't really want to pay for ProTools since I wouldn't know what to do with it yet. I'll see how Reaper is, thanks!

Why would you want a straight end? This works just fine, if you run the lead through your strap.

HPIM0157.jpg

In general, I'd saw you need to put the guitar a bit lower, so lower that straplock to the end of your strap maybe? (adjust the strap accordingly before you put the lock on).

As for playing, work on your timing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQ_6VUs2VCk

;)

I'm really short and my hands are short, so I have to make the strap super short to even read the high frets. :$ My old strap was a wee bit longer and I just couldn't use it. I mostly play sitting down, so I'm not sure how to even hang the guitar. Do I want the neck parallel to the floor or at a 45 degrees angle?

Here's how I hold my guitar when I'm playing, I play while standing primarily so it's almost the opposite for me, I often am lost when sitting down as to whats more comfortable :p

0HWFtwN.jpg

The only difference is now I play with the guitar at about the orange line - up from the red line I marked. I tap often so its a little different for me, but it's what my left hand is most comfortable at when riffing and playing. Doesn't look the coolest but function over form.

Also, it's literally a comfort thing about everything, yeah? dont force yourself to be uncomfortable, just try out a bunch of different ways to hold/play/fret and from there do what is easiest and lets you play better. kinda a generic thing to say, but it's true - 60% of your tone is from your playing style and how you fret/ and pick the strings. Getting your timing right like Matthijs says will help immensely too

Edited by Stocking

:LOL:

Even if I accidentally bump the volume knob it'll cut out and need wiggled a bit to get any sound again. Took the knobs off and the shaft moves up and down a bit, so I think the pot is a wee bit fucked (so many jokes could be made from that sentence :chuckle:). The connections on the back look fine though.

I was about to make a joke, and I didn't even finish reading the sentence.

Sometimes they do move a bit if you pull on them, but just barely. Might be best to replace it.

And yeah. I think a useful way to do that is playing modes 3 notes per string, as it really makes you use your whole hand (maybe the ring finger a little less)

But what do I know. I've used my little finger more than my ring finger to begin with (I recall my old teacher said that was a bit unusual, but I don't think it's actually a bad thing as long as you use all of them appropriately or whatever)

:eyebrows:

Why would you want a straight end? This works just fine, if you run the lead through your strap.

HPIM0157.jpg

Yeah that's how I do it, but I think when he said angled-straight, he meant one end with the angled plug (for the guitar) and the other end straight (for the amp or whatever else)

Loving the 'strap locks' on that guitar.

Sanded the Cort logo off, kinda fucked up my headstock, but then again I never even touched sandpaper before and I don't really care :rolleyes: as long as it's not there anymore. I also used 220 grit paper so :ninja:

But yeah if ya'll use 600 grit and are a bit craftier than drunk pissed off Cider you'll be okay :facemelt:

Sanded the Cort logo off, kinda fucked up my headstock, but then again I never even touched sandpaper before and I don't really care :rolleyes: as long as it's not there anymore. I also used 220 grit paper so :ninja:

But yeah if ya'll use 600 grit and are a bit craftier than drunk pissed off Cider you'll be okay :facemelt:

Pics or its a etc etc...

Pics or its a etc etc...

Here you go. Looks like shit but at least the Cort logo is gone :ninja:. At least I guinea pigged for you guys, ya'll should be able to do a better job than that :facemelt:

Probably won't look that bad far away enough of taken with my iPhone 6 though :facemelt:

I0kFKCOl.jpg

Okay, gotta ask for a favor: anyone knows what the hell this wire does? I think it was connected to the single coil, and it just goes into the guitar to infinity :facepalm:

FQe8p1el.jpg

Edited by Cider

that's the ground wire. solder it to the back of one of the controls

Thanks James! Can I solder it to the tone control instead of the volume? Don't really have that much space on the side of that volume pot. :facepalm:

What about the wire connected to the lug with the screw? Where does that go

Oh yeah and if you have that HH picture I'd love to see it too. I think the wiring isn't that much different

Edited by Cider