Would anyone be interested in purchasing the custom aluminum machineheads from me? I thought i would use the Cort tuners for a while so I bought the ones that fit the MBC 1, then I found some Gotoh HAPM on eBay a week later. It'd be a pain to return them to Manson (I'm in the US), so I thought I'd try to see if I could sell them. Buy them if you're happy with your Cort tuners and don't want to switch tuners anytime soon!

Got the guitar yesterday. I love it. The rosewood fretboard is darker than the one on my Gibson Les Paul :p I too got sidedots that were printed halfway between the fretboard and the maple neck, which is kind strange. They don't bother me though.

Has anyone seen the Premier Guitar video on the Cort MBC-1? I feel like the guy reviewing it doesn't exactly know that much about guitars in general - though I am probably wrong. What kinda made me surprised that he didn't know was the killswitch pop on a clean sound which is completely normal. not to mention that I think a lot of other reviews go way more in depth then he did.

To be fair though when that guy does rig rundowns it's usually not that great.

Would anyone be interested in purchasing the custom aluminum machineheads from me? I thought i would use the Cort tuners for a while so I bought the ones that fit the MBC 1, then I found some Gotoh HAPM on eBay a week later. It'd be a pain to return them to Manson (I'm in the US), so I thought I'd try to see if I could sell them. Buy them if you're happy with your Cort tuners and don't want to switch tuners anytime soon!

Got the guitar yesterday. I love it. The rosewood fretboard is darker than the one on my Gibson Les Paul :p I too got sidedots that were printed halfway between the fretboard and the maple neck, which is kind strange. They don't bother me though.

I'm tellin ya, I think the dots are supposed to be like that, they're still THERE sorta, but it's just half on half off. at least, I'm pretty sure they are right?

Also I would buy them but I think it'd be a little to expensive. How much were you thinking about letting them go for?

Has anyone seen the Premier Guitar video on the Cort MBC-1? I feel like the guy reviewing it doesn't exactly know that much about guitars in general - though I am probably wrong. What kinda made me surprised that he didn't know was the killswitch pop on a clean sound which is completely normal. not to mention that I think a lot of other reviews go way more in depth then he did.

To be fair though when that guy does rig rundowns it's usually not that great.

I'm tellin ya, I think the dots are supposed to be like that, they're still THERE sorta, but it's just half on half off. at least, I'm pretty sure they are right?

Also I would buy them but I think it'd be a little to expensive. How much were you thinking about letting them go for?

I actually like the Premier Guitar's review best. That guy didn't make the Cort sound like complete crap, unlike the first hit on youtube.

Yeah, the dots look so perfectly straight that they can't be accidental :p I've looked at others' pictures of their guitars and all have the dots printed halfway like that, so I guess it's a Manson thing? :happy: My fretboard is so dark it looks almost ebony-like, I love it :happy:

Um, I was going to sell the set for the equivalent in dollars of the brand new price, since it is brand new and I'm absorbing the shipping cost myself, but jk, for some odd reasons they fit my SG381 perfectly :LOL: Maybe Joe was referring to the 510 that don't fit these machineheads?

I love the official one ^^

Maybe there was a slight 0.1 mm difference in the diameters began the Cort and 381 shafts but the difference was so minimal I fitted the tuners without problems. Yay me \o/

I did get a rather heavy guitar though. 7.4 lbs must be the record for the MBC1. Albeit a 7.4 lbs guitar is by no means *heavy,* but still :p

I love the official one ^^

Maybe there was a slight 0.1 mm difference in the diameters began the Cort and 381 shafts but the difference was so minimal I fitted the tuners without problems. Yay me \o/

I did get a rather heavy guitar though. 7.4 lbs must be the record for the MBC1. Albeit a 7.4 lbs guitar is by no means *heavy,* but still :p

That's pretty good for a T-type guitar actually. I'm pretty sure that the MBC Mansons had on display was heavier than that, but then so was the MB2SE, that was a lot heavier than the Cort. I don't really know what my point is, except that I prefer sub-3kg guitars, I think i'd have shoulder ache after 3 hrs with the Cort.

That's pretty good for a T-type guitar actually. I'm pretty sure that the MBC Mansons had on display was heavier than that, but then so was the MB2SE, that was a lot heavier than the Cort. I don't really know what my point is, except that I prefer sub-3kg guitars, I think i'd have shoulder ache after 3 hrs with the Cort.

Well I've never touched another Cort before so I'm not sure, but Imperial vintage guitar had a picture of one weighing only 6.1 lbs (2.8 kg). That's really light! I thought i would get something similar, then I picked the guitar up and it was around the same weight as the LP (7.8 lbs) and i was like T~T

But then again, it is my lighest guitar so far. First Epi LP was well over 9lbs, then a G&L ASAT at 8.3, then this Gibson LP at 7.8, and this Cort at 7.4 ^^ I do get spoiled over time, lol. But then again I'm a bedroom player and I'm always sitting down so idk why it even matters :facemelt: The 9-pounder did hurt my thigh a lot when I had it though.

I love the neck on the MBC1 so much. Is that Mansons signature neck on all their guitars? What does it translate to in terms of American guitar neck shapes?

The MB-2SE in the shop is HEAVY. I didn't actually try the Cort in the shop...I think they took it away to wipe down after that guy was trying to get feedback off a clean amp with it.

Probably the same guy from youtube that was trying to get feedback from his wardrobe after playing stockholm syndrome live at wembley 2007.

The only guitars I really have a problem with after a while are the heavier les pauls (at least 9 lbs. I'd guess)

Well I've never touched another Cort before so I'm not sure, but Imperial vintage guitar had a picture of one weighing only 6.1 lbs (2.8 kg). That's really light! I thought i would get something similar, then I picked the guitar up and it was around the same weight as the LP (7.8 lbs) and i was like T~T

But then again, it is my lighest guitar so far. First Epi LP was well over 9lbs, then a G&L ASAT at 8.3, then this Gibson LP at 7.8, and this Cort at 7.4 ^^ I do get spoiled over time, lol. But then again I'm a bedroom player and I'm always sitting down so idk why it even matters :facemelt: The 9-pounder did hurt my thigh a lot when I had it though.

I love the neck on the MBC1 so much. Is that Mansons signature neck on all their guitars? What does it translate to in terms of American guitar neck shapes?

Yeah, 6.1 lbs seems a fair bit lighter than usual.

And nah it's a bit different I'd say. I don't know what it's actually spec'd out to be, but compared to the neck shape they usually use on the MB-1 and most customs, it's a bit more rounded and larger overall. It also has a fairly thick gloss finish on the neck, rather than a satin or whatever type of gloss they usually use (it's nowhere near as thick as what's on the cort)

As for comparing it to others, it depends. Here's a bit of information about the various different shapes that are common on Fenders, Gibsons, Ibanez, etc

http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/BackContours.aspx

The nut width also makes a noticeable difference. I think the Cort is the usual 42mm they use, but the older Mansons would have 43mm, and it actually makes a pretty noticeable difference.

oh wow 7.4 lbs? mine is probably about 6 lbs something because I can hold it up with one hand a lot easier than both of my strats, I havent gotten a chance to weigh it yet but when I hold it up by the body a la matt style it feels like I'm grabbing a thinline tele off a guitar rack, I probably just got super lucky and got a really light one, which is good because the toan rings out more :LOL:

The official demo is really good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obp_osj-37g

and no idea about the machine heads. The 381 and 510 should use the same ones.

That's the one I like the most

I don't really know what my point is, except that I prefer sub-3kg guitars, I think i'd have shoulder ache after 3 hrs with the Cort.

My actual guitar I made is of Northern Ash and REALLY thick/dense. Probably around....10-11 pounds? I know its heavier than my friends Epi Goth Bass. I'm not familiar with the kg equivalent, but that's what I'm used to, so this Cort is light as a feather.

I jumped around quite a lot with mine though so my shoulders are used to it lol

That's the one I like the most

My actual guitar I made is of Northern Ash and REALLY thick/dense. Probably around....10-11 pounds? I know its heavier than my friends Epi Goth Bass. I'm not familiar with the kg equivalent, but that's what I'm used to, so this Cort is light as a feather.

I jumped around quite a lot with mine though so my shoulders are used to it lol

Love the way Hugh just pops up at the end!

Pretty sure the Ronald McDonald les Paul I've got is a smidgen under 6.00kg so about 13lbs :LOL:

That's about 13% of my entire body mass. :$ I probably can't pick it up with one hand :et alone play it :LOL:

And nah it's a bit different I'd say. I don't know what it's actually spec'd out to be, but compared to the neck shape they usually use on the MB-1 and most customs, it's a bit more rounded and larger overall. It also has a fairly thick gloss finish on the neck, rather than a satin or whatever type of gloss they usually use (it's nowhere near as thick as what's on the cort)

Thanks for the link, James! Really informative actually.

I don't mind the gloss neck as much as others have voiced. I just measured the nut and it is 42 mm. I really like the thick-ish, round-ish neck though - maybe when I get a custom (15 years down the road probably) I should ask for the "Cort neck?" :p

Hugh does say that this neck is exactly as Matt's necks though

I really hope they keep the collaboration with Cort ^^ Is it bad that I wanna buy another one and maybe get someone to paint it olive green and make my own DR-1 without the DRONE:##? ^^"

Pretty sure the Ronald McDonald les Paul I've got is a smidgen under 6.00kg so about 13lbs :LOL:

Is that one solid mahogany? Meaning no wood removed at all. I had a standard from 1999, and that's probably the only guitar I actually got rid of due to weight. Shame, because it was one of the better LPs I've had.

Thanks for the link, James! Really informative actually.

I don't mind the gloss neck as much as others have voiced. I just measured the nut and it is 42 mm. I really like the thick-ish, round-ish neck though - maybe when I get a custom (15 years down the road probably) I should ask for the "Cort neck?" :p

Hugh does say that this neck is exactly as Matt's necks though

I really hope they keep the collaboration with Cort ^^ Is it bad that I wanna buy another one and maybe get someone to paint it olive green and make my own DR-1 without the DRONE:##? ^^"

Hmm I didn't realize it was actually supposed to be the same as the ones Matt has. Although he does have some Corts, so it's not actually incorrect to say that it's the same as his :ninja:

Maybe they're a bit different because they're not made on the same machines or whatever. The MA necks are supposed to be the same as well, but I still think they're slightly different (though a bit closer than the Cort)

I wonder if he'll actually use the DR-1 live. I can't imagine he's waiting for the first batch to be built before using them, especially since he's got the first two.

Is that one solid mahogany? Meaning no wood removed at all. I had a standard from 1999, and that's probably the only guitar I actually got rid of due to weight. Shame, because it was one of the better LPs I've had.

Pretty much, it's got a maple cap but there's no chambering so it's just crazy heavy. I'm fairly tall though so it doesn't really bother me although it makes the cort seem so light in comparison :LOL:

That's about 13% of my entire body mass. :$ I probably can't pick it up with one hand :et alone play it :LOL:

:LOL No Matt Bellamy behind the playing for you then, not that I've ever attempted that in my bedroom :ninja:

I wonder what he will do with the DRs, maybe they'll be like his Corts and never get used live.

If we don't see them at the Paris gigs the end of September I guess we won't see them at all. No reason for him to gig them really given all the super light Matt blacks he has.

Pretty much, it's got a maple cap but there's no chambering so it's just crazy heavy. I'm fairly tall though so it doesn't really bother me although it makes the cort seem so light in comparison :LOL:

:LOL No Matt Bellamy behind the playing for you then, not that I've ever attempted that in my bedroom :ninja:

It's a 1998 yes? The standard I had was a 1999 as I said, so it wouldn't surprise me. They were doing some weird things with the specs - actually improving them. Not just the Ronald McDonald signature, but things like grover machine heads and schaller strap locks were standard. I know the DC lites (which were made from 1999 to 2001) had these features.

Today you're lucky if you get real wood on a gibson. I'm not exaggerating either - remember the guitars with the fretboards made of skateboard ramp material? :facepalm:

I wonder what he will do with the DRs, maybe they'll be like his Corts and never get used live.

If we don't see them at the Paris gigs the end of September I guess we won't see them at all. No reason for him to gig them really given all the super light Matt blacks he has.

It's possible I guess. No regrets buying one though, as I need to own as many MoCs as possible (which still won't be as many as musecasters)

It's a 1998 yes? The standard I had was a 1999 as I said, so it wouldn't surprise me. They were doing some weird things with the specs - actually improving them. Not just the Ronald McDonald signature, but things like grover machine heads and schaller strap locks were standard. I know the DC lites (which were made from 1999 to 2001) had these features.

Today you're lucky if you get real wood on a gibson. I'm not exaggerating either - remember the guitars with the fretboards made of skateboard ramp material?

Yep that's the year, I remember you said before Gibson were up to some weird things back then. I'd love a DC from 99' a friend had one and it was lovely guitar, unfortunately he sold it :(

It's a shame Gibson has no soul anymore and are so profit driven. What annoys me more are the lame excuses they come up with for not using proper fretboards, we all know why they do it so cut the rubbish!

Yep that's the year, I remember you said before Gibson were up to some weird things back then. I'd love a DC from 99' a friend had one and it was lovely guitar, unfortunately he sold it :(

It's a shame Gibson has no soul anymore and are so profit driven. What annoys me more are the lame excuses they come up with for not using proper fretboards, we all know why they do it so cut the rubbish!

Yeah, but not weird as in what they're doing now. Seemed like they were experimenting with specs and stuff at that time, now they're just trying to throw together whatever they can and attempt to sell it and start a REVOLUTION.... remember the firebird x?

And I've still got mine (after buying and selling a few in the past :facepalm: ) was your friend's one like the one Matt had? They also came in blue, but I haven't seen any other variations.

Yeah, but not weird as in what they're doing now. Seemed like they were experimenting with specs and stuff at that time, now they're just trying to throw together whatever they can and attempt to sell it and start a REVOLUTION.... remember the firebird x?

And I've still got mine (after buying and selling a few in the past :facepalm: ) was your friend's one like the one Matt had? They also came in blue, but I haven't seen any other variations.

I do remember the firebird x :ninja:

Yeah his was like Matts, he just sold it one day didn't even tell me as I would have loved to buy it :(

Ya know, I have one of the weird 2015 Les Paul Studio with the wide neck and weird specs. I actually love it. The only thing I hate is the robotuner thing, gonna get rid of it soon those. Does Matt still use the tronical stuff?

So no reports of him using the Cort nor DR-1 yet, huh?

I do remember the firebird x :ninja:

Yeah his was like Matts, he just sold it one day didn't even tell me as I would have loved to buy it :(

Me too. I wonder if they actually sold any... the shop here had two from what I remember, and they were there long after the whole REVOLUTION was over. Probably sent back to gibson to melt down into raw materials for a new type of fretboard.

Damn. Well, they pop up every once in a while, and luckily no one really remembers MattB used one, so they can still be had for a decent price. Usually sellers have no clue what they are, as the more common DC had a flame top, binding, full size inlays, etc.

But you can't play riff + sunburn (now with more VG-8) at bizarre festival 2000 with those

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mnhj4NFBP1o

Ya know, I have one of the weird 2015 Les Paul Studio with the wide neck and weird specs. I actually love it. The only thing I hate is the robotuner thing, gonna get rid of it soon those. Does Matt still use the tronical stuff?

So no reports of him using the Cort nor DR-1 yet, huh?

I think only two of his guitars had those. The mirror X-Y (which he used live only a few times) and the black MIDI (M1D1's replacement)

I understand they got rid of the robo-tune for the new models. Supposedly you can replace them with the standard grover machine heads easily though, but the only downside is that the finish might have sunk from having that massive thing attached to the headstock.

And not yet. He's had the corts for a while it seems. Maybe he's just used to the super lightweight ones now.

I think only two of his guitars had those. The mirror X-Y (which he used live only a few times) and the black MIDI (M1D1's replacement)

I understand they got rid of the robo-tune for the new models. Supposedly you can replace them with the standard grover machine heads easily though, but the only downside is that the finish might have sunk from having that massive thing attached to the headstock.

And not yet. He's had the corts for a while it seems. Maybe he's just used to the super lightweight ones now.

The 2016 lines give you options actually. You can get the cheaper Traditional guitars with the normal neck, nut & tuners, or the High Performance ones with a neck that's a bit wider, access heel, the robotuner and titanium nut. The case for the HP model is really cool. If I get another LP (probably won't) I'd just replace the robotuner as I like all the new specs.

I didn't know the finish can sink o__o Oops, better take mine off as soon as I can.

How light are the new fancy super light Matt Black's? Is he smashing them? :(

Speaking of doing finishes on the MBC-1, anyone think of doing the Red Glitter finish on one of these? I'm honestly debating buying a second one just to do that or something like it. I have a MIGHTY need for it.

I think the Steel Custom Guitars people do offer refinishing the Cort. Maybe check in with them. I just want a 2nd one that looks like a DR-1 *cries*

EDIT: Stocking, look what I found for you. Last pic: http://www.martybellfinishing.com/sparkle.html

Edited by Cider