2015.06.12 - Pinkpop Festival, Landgraaf, Netherlands

forevermusic

What's up with these weird curfews at Pinkpop anyway? If they know headliners usually play longer... I once won tickets when QOTSA played and it's weird to see these major acts so early on stage. Not really a bad festival though, it's just not the kind of festival I'd attend.

Muse als afsluiter op Pinkpop 2004

Matthew Bellamy van MuseMUZIEK: Barok 'n' roll onder leiding van de groot denkende zanger/gitarist/toetsenist Matthew Bellamy. Samen met drummer Dominic Howard en bassist Chris Wolstenholme is hij Muse, in zijn eentje eist hij alle aandacht op. Volgende week wordt hij pas 26 jaar maar de man heeft nu al een eigen geluid op de electrische gitaar, die rechtstreeks gevoed lijkt te worden door de stroomstoten uit Bellamy's fantasie. Met zijn galmende stem en grandioze pianopartijen neemt hij Muse - en haar fans - mee naar grote hoogten. Het enorme zuidpodium is daarvoor de locatie bij uitstek.

PLUS: Muse zet hoog in en als je daarin mee gaat, krijg je daar veel genoegen voor terug. Het is een delicate balans tussen leuke pathos en ergerlijke pretentieusheid en Muse blijft heel knap aan de goede kant van de streep. De band heeft geleidelijk maar zeker het traject naar de top afgelegd en voor het grote examen (afsluiten op Pinkpop) zijn ze bij deze geslaagd.

MIN: Als Bellamy zijn beheersing loslaat en de emotie in muziek en zang buiten zijn oevers laat treden, wordt het razendknappe rockgeluid van Muse onderuit gehaald ten faveure van ongeloofwaardige dramathiek. Ik noem een ballad als Blackout.

CONCLUSIE: Thuis uit de cd-speler hoef ik de band niet te horen en hun complete repertoire zou ik zonder slag of stoot inruilen voor één Paranoid Android maar als live-band is Muse op deze Pinkpop-avond niets minder dan magnifiek.

CIJFER: 8,5 door Job de Wit (VPRO)

Zie ook d.d. 31 mei 2004:

Goeie recensent!

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone got some suggestions for parking?

Since we're not camping there we have to pay about € 50,00 for parking (€ 25 on Friday, €15 on Saturday, €10 on Sunday), when we leave every day to drive back to our appartment.

I only go on Friday. Since Muse finish quite late and I don't have a car, it will be a challenge for me to get home. Public transportation only brings me to Eindhoven, but I need to get to either Best (which is close to Eindhoven, but I still need a way to travel the last bit) or to Nijmegen. Is someone going in that direction who could give me a ride? I can pay a compensation for fuel costs and such.

Can't you just take the pendel bus instead?

That was my first idea, but we still have to park our car at the station. And I don't know how the parking situation will be there. I thought about going by bus completely but we kind of live in the middle of nowehere. We have about 30 km from our appartment to the Festival.

Is there any opportunity on the festival area or around to deposit baggage? I'm travelling by bike tomorrow and I could use some place near the area to deposit my stuff during the festival.

Yes, there is, outside of the festival area. Not very cheap though

I have never been to Pinkpop, so I don't know the details. This is what it says on the site though:

Lockers

At the Pinkpop square (outside the festival terrain, in front of the main entrance) and at all festival campings there are lockers to keep your valuables. You can share a locker with friends, of course. The costs are for 1 locker are built up as follows:

Friday: € 6 rent + € 9 key deposit

Saturday: € 6 rent + € 7 key deposit

Sunday: € 6 tent + € 5 key deposit

If you return the key the same day, you'll get the full deposit back. If you come a day later, €2 are subtracted.

Bagagedepot

If you return on sunday, you can leave your baggage at the Bagage depot. One depot is located at the main entrance, one on camping B. Bagagedepots are only opened on sunday from 08.00 - 02.00. Price is €2 per item. Full = Full

There were way to many people in the first circle yesterday, wasn't there?

Moving wasn't an option. Crowd was kind of dead (inside) though. The only people cheering/singing/dancing were us 6. We're we were standing though.

Also I won my bet thanks to muse playing resistance and madness. You're so predictable Muse. Now drop those songs completely and we all will be happy.

Thanks to @suzanneunck on Periscope I managed to see half of the cincert and I'm about to view the rest(yesterday was live), got VERY exited by JFK but sadly that wasnt followed by Defector.....still awesome.

Wonder what my colleague thought of them(he hasnt seennthem live before)