It would certainly make sense if what he meant was that the war was about oil, and things like that were a tough situation because our economies depend on it, so not justifying it, but talking about why these situations arise and why it's a much more complex issue. And yes, TaB certainly would seem to back that up.

More my point was, he's just been so prone to saying things that come off really wrong. Maybe because he talks so fast; things just pop out. :chuckle: Wasn't this also around the time of the "terror storm" incident? The more "un-nuanced" political period.

Clearly the interviewer took it in a negative manner.

As for old articles, this one came up in a rather different fashion, but I did read a lot of them again pre-Drones because they put up covers on their IG (with the eyes and words blacked out,) and I reread those.

Found it interesting to see how a lot of the same topics from the last decade were still coming up, and found myself wondering when Matt said he was revisiting the mindset of OoS writing TG (and basing the rest of the album off that) if he meant that REALLY literally, or if he's had those same paranoias and obsessions for 15 years.

Some of it's a bit basic; the man vs machine concept of Drones is basically New Born, but there was more specific stuff like talking about how the Industrial Revolution separated people from their humanity via technology, but Japan when he was there had a better integration of religion and technology that intrigued him. And then he's talking about the song Drones being about that "disturbing juxtaposition" of religion and destructive modern technology. Etc

I think there's a lot to take away from stuff like what he's said about the troops in Soldier's Poem, vs Psycho, too, for example.

I don't think it's a big "anti-military/anti-war" song, either. I think it's just more about how people give their lives and psyches over to the military complex, and when that system is corrupt, people are very vulnerable to it.

It's not like Matt's said he's anti-war... he's literally just said he fears the people in power aren't making decisions from a good mindset, and the idea of AI making kill decisions instead of people.

That's a bit different. :chuckle:

Edited by SerpentSatellite

Yeah, that's what I took from it too. Obviously Matt could actually be justifying it but something could also easily be getting lost in the translation so I'd be hesitant to make much of it. I'm pretty sure he also condemned invading Iraq a few times back then, didn't he (in fact, wasn't that roughly what Take A Bow was about)?

He did. Take A Bow, Soldier's Poem, Assassin were allegedly against Tony Blair's warfare in M.E.

Matt was always notoriously inconsistent with descriptions of his songs, but I feel like BH&R and OoS were the worst offenders.

In the linked interview, he even stated SP was simply about the troops, and didn't want it to be taken as anti-war.

His personal beliefs were all over the place (and rather out there) up until the next album, too.

The soldier thing was nice, really.

What he said about the Iraq War being possibly justified because without the oil our economies would crash is what upset the interviewer.

but the most fun part is, that he was probably right with this statement ;) And with many others "conspiracy" theories. I cant be sure with this argument, but that same thing applies for informations spreading by mass media. So, how interviewer can be sure with them?

Back to the topic:

Revolt - I think its a good song, with really catchy pre chorus. Its not their best by far, but I feel happy listening to it. I cant understant why people hate this, just because its more popish. Yeah, ok the riff is pretty boring and very simple (in a bad way), but that doesnt mean, that its a bad song.

He was absolutely right! It's not even a conspiracy theory. It was simply that his statement made it seem like he didn't disagree with going to war for that reason, which is why the interviewer changed the subject, and added that bit about Matt sounding like a nice guy.

I realized a long time ago I'm into a lot of Muse's poppier/"cheesier" numbers, which surprised me at first. Revolt is just the most recent in a long line. Follow Me, Guiding Light, Invincible, even back to Endlessly.

Back to the topic:

Revolt - I think its a good song, with really catchy pre chorus. Its not their best by far, but I feel happy listening to it. I cant understant why people hate this, just because its more popish. Yeah, ok the riff is pretty boring and very simple (in a bad way), but that doesnt mean, that its a bad song.

That three beat riff might be the best part of the song imo. Reminds me of Taylor Swift for some reason, in the absolute best of ways.

I'm just gonna say that I enjoy Guiding Light at this point as well :$ It's cringe if you take it seriously (whether or not it was meant that way is up for debate) but I've found it pretty fun lately, like a less good Revolt.

Edited by Jobby

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone seems to love b sides like Fury, the GOB edit of Assassin and the Groove but how come nobody is showing any love for Spiral Static? It's brooding yet somewhat elegant and fits in perfectly with the upper echelon of Showbiz tracks. Would love to see a live revival of it. (Same still goes with Fillip, minus the elegance :LOL: )

Pretty much all the poppy stuff, except maybe Follow Me. Muse would make a way better Coldplay than Coldplay at the moment.

Well Coldplay is basically about making catchy pop, which they are much better at than Muse.

But I do love Muse's pop songs, Mercy and Starlight being the exceptions. Oh and Resistance if that counts.

I'll defend Dead Inside I guess?

Everyone seems to love b sides like Fury, the GOB edit of Assassin and the Groove but how come nobody is showing any love for Spiral Static? It's brooding yet somewhat elegant and fits in perfectly with the upper echelon of Showbiz tracks. Would love to see a live revival of it. (Same still goes with Fillip, minus the elegance :LOL: )

Showbiz b-sides are probably less talked about and listened to because there's so many of them and some can be hard to find. Plus, their quality control was all over the shop back then so some people probably don't bother listening to a lot of them. Abso and BH&R had way less b-sides (and are generally more popular albums) so that probably leads people to focus their attention on those tracks more.

Personally, I'm not that into Spiral Static (it has a creepy vibe but not much else going for it imo) but I do like Jimmy Kane, Host, Con-Science, Do We Need This and Twin. Even Coma to an extent. Fury, Soaked, The Groove, Glorious, Easily and GOB are some of my favourite songs by the band though.

Edited by Jobby

Big Freeze, Save Me, Futurism, Follow Me and Guiding Light.

and Animals sucks why do people like it so much? :indiff:

EDIT: Survival too, it is awesome I can't believe it's hated so much.

I don't think Futurism really needs any defending at all tbh. Never seen much criticism for it

And in reply to Clunge: TOADA - YES