Earl's Court 2004: Night 1 vs Night 2

LewisF

Earl's Court 2004: Night 1 vs Night 2  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Earl's Court 2004: Night 1 vs Night 2

• Night 1
    • Night 2

I was at night 2 and it was easily the best gig I've ever seen them play. They were just so pumped up and on fire all night. Matt had smashed up his Ibanez guitar by 3 or 4 songs in! :yesey:

Plus, comparative reviews at the time said night 2 was better, and when Muse reviewed the footage they decided to use (if sadly highly edit down) tracks from night 2 on the Absolution DVD. So, :p.

EDIT: Infact, here is the 2nd night as streamed by XFM (wrongly labelled by this video as the 1st night - look up the setlist details/MuseWiki):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paz48hGEgdM

^ But it replaces Glorious with the 1st night's performance of Dead Star (presumably because Glorious was a new track).

Edited by Static Shadows

From the tracks I've seen, heard: Night 2 performance-wise was slightly better, but in my opinion Night 1 had a superior setlist.

N1) Thoughts Of A Dying Atheist N2) Space Dementia - N1) Crying Shame N2) Glorious - N1) Dead Star N2) Blackout.

There's not a huge difference in setlist. Both are pretty fantastic. If I could have a free pick and match I'd have taken Space Dementia, Dead Star, & Blackout, so one from Night 1 and two from Night 2, with both new ones cut (although I'd personally take Night 2's Glorious over Crying Shame).

The only thing I'd change about Night 2 is the positioning of Glorious in the first encore, which (as a completely unknown and slow song) didn't really work there. Other than that it flowed superbly. From looking at the setlists, I'd say N2 had the better structured main set, & N1 had the better structured/most epic encores. Although to take both would be to repeat songs! Tbh, whichever night you went to, you saw an absolutely epic gig of Muse at their height, the rest is just going to be nitpicking.

Edited by Static Shadows

N1) Thoughts Of A Dying Atheist N2) Space Dementia - N1) Crying Shame N2) Glorious - N1) Dead Star N2) Blackout.

There's not a huge difference in setlist. Both are pretty fantastic. If I could have a free pick and match I'd have taken Space Dementia, Dead Star, & Blackout, so one from Night 1 and two from Night 2, with both new ones cut (although I'd personally take Night 2's Glorious over Crying Shame).

The only thing I'd change about Night 2 is the positioning of Glorious in the first encore, which (as a completely unknown and slow song) didn't really work there. Other than that it flowed superbly. From looking at the setlists, I'd say N2 had the better structured main set, & N1 had the better structured/most epic encores. Although to take both would be to repeat songs! Tbh, whichever night you went to, you saw an absolutely epic gig of Muse at their height, the rest is just going to be nitpicking.

Yeah, I dunno what I would want more TOADA or SD! I think for me Night 1 still had an ever-so-slightly better setlist. But I can't really judge which was a better all round concert without good quality audio of the first night (which there is very little of). So let's just settle that both nights were amazing concerts :)

Edited by LewisF

This thread brought back some memories, although at the same time, I don't remember the gig all that well.

I think I was around during Night 2, one of the memorabilia I still own from that night was that poster with all the album/single covers, ending at the Absolution stuff.

Was sitting at the top left of the arena with a friend and we enjoyed the Zutons and Muse, the other support act was The Secret Machines if I remember?

Soulwax night one, Secret Machines night two. Soulwax were gash :LOL:. Gutted we didn't get Secret Machines. One of my favourite bands.

Zutons were brilliant too. Shame they faded so badly as an act.

Ruled By Secrecy remains the loudest, heaviest thing I've ever heard live. Perhaps it was because I was 15 at the time and not used to it - but it was devastatingly loud.

Secret Machines were brilliant. Especially on their debut. Seeing them at Cardiff in 2006 was another of my favourite gigs ever! :happy:

They were very good at Earl's Court too, but I sadly only got to see the last 3 or so songs from their set. Seemed to be one of those rare occasions where the support bands were given almost as good sound quality as the main act. Either that, or they were so loud that they managed to fill Earl's Court with sound anyway!