The evolving world view of Matt Bellamy

wildwilly

As many of you know...Matt stated early on his rock n roll career that he was an atheist. However, there are signs that his view of reality may have shifted beginning in 2007.

Here are some quotes from interviews were Matt has openly talked of religion. Some people think that his interaction with U2 may have changed or influenced Matt's world view.

Here is the quote:

---------------------

"Bellamy also stated in a 2007 interview that one of the weirdest gifts fans have sent him is the Holy Bible. "

"In a session where Matt and Dom answered questions from fans, Bellamy stated that the celebrity alive or dead he'd most like to meet is Jesus Christ (Dom answered Jimi Hendrix for this question). Matt: I'd like to meet Jesus Christ. Eh just because I'd be interested to know how he did it all. You know what I mean? You know... making fish out of bushes and stuff. Walking on water. I'd like to meet someone who can do that. I think that'd be uh, certainly one of the most interesting people to meet I'd say.[source?]

"However, more recently Bellamy has shown signs of being an Agnostic or a Deist. In an interview with a Rock Music channel in France (2006), Bellamy states, "I believe in the God of the universe, definitely." In addition, he revealed in a 2007 video inverview that, "I don't believe in heaven or hell, I don't really believe in that version" [watch]. Bellamy's beliefs are therefore probably closer to the philosophical concept of "The Absolute" as opposed to the structures of organized religions. "

----------------------

Last but now least...two songs on The 2nd Law reflect some sort of spiritual faith...those songs are Follow Me and Explorers. We may see more of a "spiritual" influence in Matt's future compositions...and remember...in Uprising the reference to the Third Eye is directly referring to clairvoyance ...or the ability to "see" planes of existence beyond earth or the physical world.

This song lyric is Hindu and or Buddhist in origin (since both faiths teach each of us has a third eye that can be opened to see into the spiritual realms):

"If you could, flick the switch and open your third eye

You'd see that

We should never be afraid to die"

Is it fair game to discuss this stuff on the message board or is the thread about to be locked?

People get pretty pissy with this convo pretty quick, really. :LOL:

There's an interview, the most recent Taratata with Madness, I believe, where the interviewer asks this question of Matt, and then calls him out when he answers ambiguously, and Matt makes it very clear that he's not going to give an answer.

So, no one knows, and he wants it that way.

And I don't see the religious or even spiritual connection in Follow Me, at all. Every single line of that song is about his son.

"In a session where Matt and Dom answered questions from fans, Bellamy stated that the celebrity alive or dead he'd most like to meet is Jesus Christ (Dom answered Jimi Hendrix for this question). Matt: I'd like to meet Jesus Christ. Eh just because I'd be interested to know how he did it all. You know what I mean? You know... making fish out of bushes and stuff. Walking on water. I'd like to meet someone who can do that. I think that'd be uh, certainly one of the most interesting people to meet I'd say.[source?]

Quite clearly taking the piss.

Is it fair game to discuss this stuff on the message board or is the thread about to be locked?

It's against the forum rules to speculate on the band's private lives, which is where I'd place this discussion.

Quite clearly taking the piss.

It's against the forum rules to speculate on the band's private lives, which is where I'd place this discussion.

These comments that Matt made about his world view were made in the public domain...plus, Matt's perspectives on life and the nature of existence are an extension of his music. Thus, this topic should be fair game to discuss on the forum board.

The song Follow Me is dedicated to his son (yes) but coincidentally the words "Follow Me" are the first words Jesus said to the initial group of disciples he recruited to follow him. This is pure coincidence but is worth noting. If you listen to the song there clearly are religious overtones in a loving father singing to His son...just my two cents.

Again...the lyric from Uprising (from my first post) is most definitely metaphysical in nature. Thus, I would question whether Matt's music is the work of an atheistic worldview.

Matt made the comments (see my first or original post) in the public domain; thus, there is evidence that his perspective on life has evolved over time. The comments he made are self-explanatory.

Each Muse song has a unique meaning to each listener based on what is going on in his or her life. I can listen to a Muse song and it will or MAY have a completely different meaning than when you listen to it.

Matt's music is a extension of what is going on in his mind (many composers have spoken of this truth). Based on Matt's music, he is a deeply spiritual person who is concerned about the world we live in. He is not just a gifted rock star or musician who wants to sing about partying, sex, drugs and rage.

I know that some of you may find what I am about to say offensive...but the song Follow Me could be sung in a place of worship or a "church"...this song is based on the love of a father for a child.

Quote from the song:

"You can follow me

You can follow me

I will always keep you safe

Follow me

You can trust in me

I will always protect you, my love

Feel my love

Feel my love."

What a complete tool you are. The song has been explained clearly by Matt, and the fact that you CAN apply it to religion means absolutely nothing.

What you're doing is basically ignoring certain facts just so you can apply others to your own argument. Matt has also said that he takes on roles for songs, and that he isn't always singing from the perspective of himself or his own beliefs. He has also said that he often doesn't even have a point with his lyrics, as long as they sound cool.

Let me break down your argument:

1. Matt said he was atheist back in 2007.

2. Matt later wrote a song dedicated to his son with the lyrics "follow me"

3. ????

4. Matt is religious.

Quite honestly, the church I went to as a kid would have had a very negative opinion about Follow Me, no matter how beautiful and loving those lyrics are.

The father clearly puts himself in the "god" role in that song, putting himself forth as the protector and 'savior' of the son.

My church (Lutheran) would have actually seen the song as blasphemous.

As young kids, we had to bring in music we liked, while our pastor read the lyrics to secular songs aloud and let us know exactly how sinful it all was, no matter what spin we personally tried to put on it... So, this opinion is based in fact. :LOL: Sadly.

Back on subject, that interview I referred to, Matt said he wanted any beliefs he held to "come out in the music" whilst absolutely refusing to say a word about what those meanings were.

And he's also clearly stated in the past that a lot of the songs are about multiple things, and he often writes very "general" lyrics, so they can appeal to a wider base of people.

So, I think, that's your answer.

I do not think Matt is religious (never said that). There are many evil, non spiritual people who are religious.

Again, the song Follow Me can take on the meaning that a Muse fan allows it to take on. Just because my view of a loving God does not match your view of God is no reason get testy.

Wise men discuss...fools argue. To say that I see spiritual undertones in a Muse song does not need to be an object of offense to anyone.

What I said is that I think Matt's music reflects spirituality and a concern for humanity...and this is reflected in some of his more recent music from the last 2 albums.

Again...Matt said...

"However, more recently Bellamy has shown signs of being an Agnostic or a Deist. In an interview with a Rock Music channel in France (2006), Bellamy states, "I believe in the God of the universe, definitely." In addition, he revealed in a 2007 video inverview that, "I don't believe in heaven or hell, I don't really believe in that version" [watch]. Bellamy's beliefs are therefore probably closer to the philosophical concept of "The Absolute" as opposed to the structures of organized religions. "

As many of you know...Matt stated early on his rock n roll career that he was an atheist. However, there are signs that his view of reality may have shifted beginning in 2007.

Here are some quotes from interviews were Matt has openly talked of religion. Some people think that his interaction with U2 may have changed or influenced Matt's world view.

If you weren't claiming Matt to be religious, you sure were making a lot of weird paragraph choices.

But I don't exactly see the purpose of this thread. What is it that you expect us to discuss? The fact that he's concerned with humanity? Well duh.

That he's spiritual? You already have the interviews about his beliefs right in front of you. And it's quite clear that Matt is very undecided on the whole thing, and that his views change with time. But none of that has anything whatsoever to do with songs like Follow Me, or touring with U2, since the religious aspects of Muse's music has been there for ages. I mean you can read a god perspective into Hyper Music, and then there's obviously Fury which mentions God (which obviously means he believes in God, according to some..), Take A Bow etc.

Megalomania is religious in nature, a great deal of Hullaballoo could be read that way, maybe even Glorious and Crying Shame, multiple songs on Absolution...

I find Follow Me to be an odd choice for an example, simply because it's so completely transparent what it's about, and one of ones Matt has explained time and again, besides.

Tjet - the purpose of this thread is to discuss how Matt's world view has changed over time and how this is reflected in his music.

I am telling you...you bring up the existence of God as a topic and things get heated...been that way for a very long, long time.

They get heated because you're being ignorant by bringing God into matters that have explicitly been described as something completely different.

The thing is that it's impossible to say how his world view has changed, because Matt never really makes any clear statements in his songs, it's all really vague so that lots of people can relate. "Down with the fat cats!", "Death to the selfish people at the top!", "you will burn in hell" etc. So we can clearly say that the political aspect of Matt's writing has always been "us vs the man", ever since it was introduced in Absolution (really more so in BH&R).

Abso was mostly about the end of the world mixed with love songs, and that's something that has stayed with them through songs like Exogenesis, The 2nd Law and so on, and it seems likely that it will stay with them on the next album too.

They really haven't changed that much lyrically since Absolution. Before that it was personal stuff mixed with total nonsense that sounded cool, and since then it's been conspiracy theories that sound cool, down with the man and more love songs. He also dips into short mentions of god and religion, but never really spends a long time with it except for like TOADA.

In the end, Matt really hasn't changed that much since 2003 (lyrically), and musically the last 3 albums have just been a mix of whatever they were listening to at the moment.

Keep this thread on topic please guys.

I think that there's plenty of sources out there (mostly interviews) that write about Muse's (and particularly Matt's) experiences with religion, the occult and 'cultural viewpoints'.

I personally think it's quite far fetched to say that that U2 has influenced his personal views. We know that Matt reads a lot, and that most albums are based around his readings. Good examples are songs like ESoE, Resistance and of course Unsustainable.

I too would like to meet Jesus Christ; but is that because I would be religious, or because loads of people have butchered the bible and used it for their own viewpoints? I can see why anyone would be interested in meeting JC but that doesn't make them religious.

I would love to meet Eminem but that doesn't make me a fan of rap music. He just seems an interesting person to talk to, and I'd love to have a chat with him.