Yep - way too compressed and dry.

Same with most of the Drones songs tbh. In particular the studio version of Psycho. Live, the tone is great.

Another thing- anyone identified what the live handler and reapers tone is supposed to be? Sound like a really mushy Diezel profile. I actually hate that tone, which is a bit of a contradiction, but yeah. Most of the Drone and ST era tones sound muffled in a way. Anyone know why?

The attack on Chris's bass when it comes in at 46secs is insanely amazing.

If anything in that version, the strings and drums sound too lightweight to go with the power of the guitar and bass.

Also, Matt's voice on the T2L tour was incredible.

Same with most of the Drones songs tbh. In particular the studio version of Psycho. Live, the tone is great.

Another thing- anyone identified what the live handler and reapers tone is supposed to be? Sound like a really mushy Diezel profile. I actually hate that tone, which is a bit of a contradiction, but yeah. Most of the Drone and ST era tones sound muffled in a way. Anyone know why?

Psycho's studio guitar to me sounds exactly like the live version but just properly mixed. I don't think there's an issue with Drones tones, but ST tone muffling is likely because of more low end in the mix as well as more low end kept on the guitar tone (like in Thought Contagion/Dig Down); in TDS it's stylistic to suit the song, and in SH and Pressure I don't really hear any muffling at all.

• 3 months later...

Y’know what’s kinda a weird anomoly in this thread? Defector.

People were asking for it for ages (apart from that small Brussels performance), then it dropped but I don’t think I ever saw anyone discuss a single main tour performance of it. I’ll confess I personally to this day can’t bring myself to search for one ‘cos it hurt too much to be so close and miss it 😅 seeing it start popping up for the final 2 months of the tour and less than a month after all my gigs...but I’m surprised (albeit slightly grateful) no one else ever talked about it on here or anywhere really. Hard to imagine it was shite, or did a lot of people just have the same complex as me?

I don't think it ever would've been a highlight, it's the kinda song that just blends in. And it was so sparse it's not like there would have been a lot of talk about it.

It also showed up later in the tour and would be soon overshadowed by the Shepherd's Bush concerts, Reading, and the new songs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...