Honestly I find Chris rather anonymous on guitar. He can play but when you compare to someone like Matt, he really lacks his own style and it sounds rather stale (Blackout is a good example).

But then again he would probably develop more of a unique style if he got to play more guitar live.

Give me a performance where Dom plays guitar, Chris plays the drums and Matt plays the bass though.

Honestly I find Chris rather anonymous on guitar. He can play but when you compare to someone like Matt, he really lacks his own style and it sounds rather stale (Blackout is a good example).

100000% and I’m not even optimistic enough to think it’d change if he did it more ‘cos it’s been like that for years. I do wonder if it’d improve if he was playing parts he’d written but, if he wrote Save Me’s guitar part (which I’d assume he did but ya never know for sure), that doesn’t look great either imo.

Sometimes you just get guitarists like that. They’re good but they’re just focused on playing something perfectly as opposed to looseing up and taking some creative license. Different strokes, innit.

Give me a performance where Dom plays guitar, Chris plays the drums and Matt plays the bass though.

A Nirvana or some retro punk band cover would have to be the rules though. Sloppy Teenage Basement Rock™.

Also to be fair, look at the parts Chris plays on guitar live - they're not exactly the most exciting haha.

Globalist, Guiding Light, Hoodoo - literally the only one he could've really spruced up was Blackout but for some reason he went for a really bland sounding tone.

He's been playing bass for decades and especially in a style that is very locked in and steady. It's not surprising it sounds more dull especially compared to Matt's rather loose live playing.

He’s been playing guitar for longer though tbf and I’d imagine it’s maybe even still his primary instrument in his free time considering how many he collects. Idk, I haven’t started playing bass yet so I can’t say from personal experience how it might affect you. His bass style, while tight as you like, does seem to show at least a wee bit more freedom to me though.

Anyway, there’s nowt wrong with it, it’s just that we’ve all obvs become accustomed to Matt’s looser style being a staple of Muse’s sound.

Also to be fair, look at the parts Chris plays on guitar live - they're not exactly the most exciting haha.

Globalist, Guiding Light, Hoodoo - literally the only one he could've really spruced up was Blackout but for some reason he went for a really bland sounding tone.

A part can be as simple as you want, your individual style’ll still almost always come through in some way. Forgot about Hoodoo though, but I wonder if I don’t mind that as much because the piano took on the primary role for the live performances, so there was less focus on it.

(also, Globalist?)

Edited by Jobby

He’s been playing guitar for longer though tbf and I’d imagine it’s maybe even still his primary instrument in his free time considering how many he collects. Idk, I haven’t started playing bass yet so I can’t say from personal experience. Maybe it is just a case of being used to playing a pretty strict, supportive and transitioning to Matt’s ‘frontman’ freedom.

There’s nowt wrong with it, it’s just that we’ve all obvs become accustomed to Matt’s looser style being a staple of Muse’s sound.

This is basically what I said, except remember that in his professional night-after-night performances he's playing bass.

This is basically what I said, except remember that in his professional night-after-night performances he's playing bass.

Ik, I’m just saying that, since he’d been playing guitar longer and it’s probs his main instrument, I wouldn’t have thought playing bass would affect it too much but you might be right.

A part can be as simple as you want, your individual style’ll still almost always come through in some way. Forgot about Hoodoo though, but I wonder if I don’t mind that as much because the piano took on the primary role for the live performances, so there was less focus on it.

(also, Globalist?)

True but they're also mostly guitar parts that don't actually sound that exciting when Matt plays them either tbf haha.

Agreed on Hoodoo though, sounds as if it would've been mega live.

Yeah he plays the chords during the first part while matt's sliding about. Can see him using one of the Status guitars here:

• 4 weeks later...