Amazing performance, only tiny parts I’d say are superior in other versions are that on the Psycho Tour I think he did the F#5 (although in those gigs the vocals weren’t as consistent throughout the song as a whole iirc), and the behind-the-nut scratch.

Also, I love the arpeggio-type parts at the end of the riff he does live, should have made it onto the studio version

Amazing performance, only tiny parts I’d say are superior in other versions are that on the Psycho Tour I think he did the F#5 (although in those gigs the vocals weren’t as consistent throughout the song as a whole iirc), and the behind-the-nut scratch.

+ too many pupppiiiiieeeeees

Also, I love the arpeggio-type parts at the end of the riff he does live, should have made it onto the studio version

Weird that ‘cos I’d been doing p much exactly that for years whenever I played it. Must just be a natural thing that people ‘hear’ that isn’t there. Plus the riff’s so weird you kinda feel the need to fill some of the spaces at times.

Seem to remember it being kinda divisive at the time but I’ve decided this is the definitive Bliss intro (+ bridge). V close with the US performances last year though tbf, can’t decide if I prefer the auto-wah or whammy bar fuckery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8eqdRGiXeY

Torn between being gutted they didn’t keep it and glad it was a two-time only, special occasion type thing.

Edited by Jobby

Seem to remember it being kinda divisive at the time but I’ve decided this is the definitive Bliss intro (+ bridge). V close with the US performances last year though tbf, can’t decide if I prefer the auto-wah or whammy bar fuckery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8eqdRGiXeY

Torn between being gutted they didn’t keep it and glad it was a two-time only, special occasion type thing.

Think I personally prefer the whammy bar fuckery but man some of those Reading 2011 OoS performances were great.

The only truly great performances of Bliss are when Matt doesn’t piss around on his guitar in the first verse. There is something sacred about that silence.

Also, the main riff lacks power in the Reading ‘11 version. I prefer the stop and scratch versions with a pause before the riff drops. So much beefier. Belfort ‘06 was a good one.

Imo, the best performances of Bliss come from the early years. I prefer when Matt sings it like "Give meeeeeeeeeee" rather than "Giveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee meee" because it sounds more like the original. The Leeds University one stands out to me the most.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vceBK8lM7xU

This also happens to be one of my two favourite Muse songs. Sure y'all can guess the other one from my stock non-thought out name :LOL:

Yeah but you literally have both in the clip I posted which >>>>> any guitar Bliss intro (and that slapdash piano one in...Milan? back in ‘03 :chuckle:)

In your clip the muting isn’t executed as well as the 2004 gigs I mentioned :phu:

Nah in all seriousness all the different variations of intro, bridge etc all sound great. For favourite all time performance though I’d have to stick with Earls Court night 2 though (has to best falsetto as well imo)

'Dat intro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZnHHCwQeaM&frags=pl%2Cwn

The beef. Tbh, Bliss - although it isn't my favourite Muse song - is the song that perhaps brings me back to why I love Muse the most. It's just such a brilliant pop-rock crossover, but it feels extremely genuine and heartfelt. It also has a mega riff, huge synths, a hella fun bassline and just so many touches I adore. Even the video. Still gives me chills like when it did back when I was 12.

Tbh, Bliss - although it isn't my favourite Muse song

is the song that perhaps brings me back to why I love Muse the most. It's just such a brilliant pop-rock crossover, but it feels extremely genuine and heartfelt. It also has a mega riff, huge synths, a hella fun bassline and just so many touches I adore. Even the video. Still gives me chills like when it did back when I was 12.

sounds like it should be your favourite muse song :shifty: (which I would agree with)

tbh, with all the pseudo-sequels Matt likes writing lately, a Bliss 2 would be one of the few I’d appreciate. Or PIB, both hit the same pop-rock perfection itch you mention imo. For such big, quintessential and non-experimental songs in their discography, they’re weirdly unique to me...can’t think of anything that really comes close to them.

Edited by Jobby

• 1 month later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTM0uZfysqk

I can't believe I'd never heard this acoustic version of TIRO until now. This would seem to be the earliest version of the song due to Chris' bass riff being slightly different to the final cut.

Although technically it isn't a live gig performance, you can hear the start of an applause at the very end so it's in front of someone at least.

With the acoustic version of Something Human as well as a demand for a return of CoD, I think it would be awesome to have a modern live version of this song.