Juuso's DJ Cottage (mainly House)

Juuso

Yo,

I began doing DJ stuff some months ago. Everything I post is mixed together/beatmatched (no sync usage etc). You can check out my sounds at:

I love house music, so most of my stuff is house in it's various forms. I do like to genre-hop outside and inside mixes, so you can find lots of variations in them as well. Drum and Bass is another love of mine, but mixing it is a completely another beast, so I haven't delved into recording it yet. Unfortunately some of my stuff has been taken off from Soundcloud due to their "automatic detection system", so only my first proper mix is up atm. There's new stuff coming soon though!

I use Traktor as my software and Mixtrack Pro as the controller. The latter is almost at breaking point, fixed with tape and whatnot. Trying to survive until christmas without it breaking. All critique and helping hands are welcomed, so if you have some suggestions how to improve or find something odd, do tell (there's some clicks&pops audible in the Gregory House mix for example, these vanished after I swapped to the newest version of Traktor). Above all else, I hope you like the music :)

Edited by Juuso

No idea about Tracktor as I tend to use Ableton (Although not really done any DJ'ing for at least a year, need to get back on it) and stick to a -12dB rule and stick a limiter on the master. Having that sort of headroom allows for vinyl recordings to be mixed in with modern brutally mastered stuff.

Some nice tunes there though!

Thanks guys!

Yeah, I need to have a look at the "production" side of things, because I know nothing about that stuff. I do keep -9 db headroom on Traktor to keep everything nicely out of red. I guess adding a limiter would be possible using Audacity? Anyways, really need to have a look at that.

Added a new set today. It's mostly improv, but turned out surprisingly well aside from one sloppy transition. It's chill house with longer transitions and no droppage. https://soundcloud.com/juusoko/no-meds-just-chill-house

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks guys!

Yeah, I need to have a look at the "production" side of things, because I know nothing about that stuff. I do keep -9 db headroom on Traktor to keep everything nicely out of red. I guess adding a limiter would be possible using Audacity? Anyways, really need to have a look at that.

Added a new set today. It's mostly improv, but turned out surprisingly well aside from one sloppy transition. It's chill house with longer transitions and no droppage. https://soundcloud.com/juusoko/no-meds-just-chill-house

Nah, if you're clipping when in Traktor, it'll be clipped no matter what you do in Audacity afterwards.

Not a good idea to be adding limiting or even lighter compression to a lot of modern music, need to start getting vinyl rips for that sort of thing.

I'm jealous of the Chill House mix, great song choices.Same goes for the last 30 minutes of Gregory House (not that it's bad, just not my thing - earlier on).

Second the focus and investing in production - you've got a good talent here (and you know what a stuck up cunt I am with music, so I don't give out compliments like that lightly. :p

Try a USB mixer and rotar isolator, or Haze's vinyl suggestion never used it myself but loads of far better people rave about them)

i.e - gives you complete control over the sound and is a piece of piss to use.

Believe it or not this is a jazz record at about triple speed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No876Jjmvg8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXhYmWyo1ig

Well if you have vinyl, its worth doing digital recordings of them, even if you're not planning on DJ'ing or anything like that.

Vinyl sound + digital convenience = :happy: (Admittedly purely the first is always more fun)

Oh and enjoyed the chill mix more!

Aye I mainly put all the best stuff onto loss less via USB mixer, the n onto CD for CDJ use to avoid the whole records getting nicked, having to constantly check they're on a flat cool surface etc (not good in clubs) so there#s more time to concentrate on other things. But I am ever so slightly in love with the ritual flicking through crates; grabbing a record smelling it, setting it up and literally feeling the music (that and the hipster-ish ego buzz).

Juuso - More asap please.

There's a new set out. I think it's the best one yet. It takes more a of a deep&tech house direction I would say. I'm practicing effect usage heavily atm to get the hang of the different kind of filters etc (in other words, the newest mix might contain too much effect usage). Beatsliced a song on to the first track as my first effort to sample something, because Soundcloud's automatic copyright protection scheme deleted a set earlier due to that song, revenge is sweet! :D

My tracks are 100% digital due to the fact that I've sourced my music for years from places that have high standards (eg. "perfect" FLAC rips or if lossy at least 320kpbs with logs). I don't really have any intention on going vinyl on the dj-front - I do buy only vinyl, but that's purely when I want to buy an album that is really good. I listen to these in the comfort of my home. I have a really vast catalogue of music on my harddrive that I "re-find" now, when I'm searching for stuff to DJ so I haven't had anything but a positive problems in finding music yet.

I downloaded Audacity and found out it's a very versatile tool, but I don't intend on post-producing stuff much, because it seems quite useless for my purposes. I'll just use it to amplify a portion/song with a db or two, if there's too big of a difference. Would adding slight compression across a whole mix just do more harm than good?

ps. Theo Pharrish is sex.

pps: Thanks for the kind words. It really means a lot.

Edited by Juuso

• 4 months later...

"A venture into the deepest trench in the world. Recorded live (as is everything I do).

I went for a bass-y sound on this one with long layering and fading. Been interested in tribal stuff lately, so you can hear influences from there as well. I'm quite content with this one albeit I need to broaden my effect usage during transfers. I hope you enjoy <3"

I swapped to Mixcloud, since Soundcloud is committing a suicide. I also have a Kontrol S2 as my controller now, which is awesome (albeit I would like to get to know Serato as well...). I wouldn't mind an effects unit or something like Z1 though. Hope you listen and like it, I think this is a quite a baller mix! (albeit there's one annoying error :p)

Edited by Juuso

• 2 months later...

Fuckloads of basslines in techno --> deep house orbit. Some mercy shown later on with tribal house. Also mixed some post rock to 90's techno at the end, was fun. Enjoy!

In other news, I held a UV birthday party with my mate for a crowd of 70 people. 3 DJ line-up with a 30 min rap-gig in between. I played after everyone else and rocked out for three hours till 4 AM. At that point everyone was pretty much dead, which wasn't a surprise considering the floods of booze.

Edited by Juuso