Obvious influences between Muse and other bands

Zepp

I thought it might be interesting to gather examples of heavy influences between Muse and other bands - both ways - and to discuss them.

I was listening to the awesome album Red by King Crimson and I was struck by the obvious reference to the song Starless (from 4:30 on) in Unnatural Selection's bridge. It's not the first time I feel a King Crimson vibe in a Muse song, but here it appears clearly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-YJyffWh3s

As for other bands being inspired by Muse, the examples that come to my mind are:

- Dream Theater, especially the song Never Enough (Hysteria and Stockholm Syndrome). This one is well-known I think:

- The Cranberries' Conduct whose intro sounds almost identical to Invincible's:

Sounds similar for literally one second.

But yeah there are looooads. Ultravox, Queen, RATM, video game music.

Really can't be bothered with all the individual songs. They're everywhere.

I remember some sort of asian band totally ripping off new born. If someone could find it it would very much be appreciated as it makes me laugh very hard :LOL:. Muse have so many songs all different from each other and all vary in almost every genre possible. Eventhough some influences may be obvious, I love that the band listen to a lot of different music, it shows in their musicianship.

Some bands that are/maybe are influenced by Muse -

(disbanded :( )

(and formerly known as Reckless, may ring some bells)

Tacado - Carnage (It's been taken off from their old YouTube account, but I still have it)

The intro of

(and which the verse I find a bit laughable after that heavy intro)

I thought it might be interesting to gather examples of heavy influences between Muse and other bands - both ways - and to discuss them.

I was listening to the awesome album Red by King Crimson and I was struck by the obvious reference to the song Starless (from 4:30 on) in Unnatural Selection's bridge. It's not the first time I feel a King Crimson vibe in a Muse song, but here it appears clearly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-YJyffWh3s

As for other bands being inspired by Muse, the examples that come to my mind are:

- Dream Theater, especially the song Never Enough (Hysteria and Stockholm Syndrome). This one is well-known I think:

- The Cranberries' Conduct whose intro sounds almost identical to Invincible's:

I'd agree Muse have some King Crimson touches. But not on that bridge. Again, I'd agree that Muse and Dream Theatre sound similar at times in their use of riffs and synth arpeggios. But the track you've posted was released two years after Absolution, so it definitely didn't influence Hysteria or Stockholm Syndrome. edit: Whoops, misread that bit, sorry! The last one has a string that hits the same note for a second. That's really it...

If you want to explore their influences, then the biggest is definitely RATM (for both the riffs and the pitch-shifting - Matt has always been very upfront about that). Lightning Bolt have inspired riffs too. Jeff Buckley's debut encouraged Matt to sing in falsetto. Tom Waits has influenced a few tracks (especially Screenager). SOAD and Deftones, as Alex said. And for their earlier stuff Nirvana was a HUGE influence on them, especially in spirit, to the point where they regularly imitated them in their live shows. E.g. compare the end of Nirvana's famous

to Muse's end of gig gear-smashing routine (especially around OOS & Absolution - squealing guitar>smash into amp>pull amps over>dive into drum kits), or Matt wearing a lab coat in tribute to Kurk Cobain's for their Glastonbury performance in 2004. Plus, all those Nirvana tributes or riffs between songs. Edited by Static Shadows

Some bands that are/maybe are influenced by Muse -

(disbanded :( )

(and formerly known as Reckless, may ring some bells)

Tacado - Carnage (It's been taken off from their old YouTube account, but I still have it)

The intro of

(and which the verse I find a bit laughable after that heavy intro)

How the hell Civil Sin is inspired by Muse? It's just a tipical indie rock sound, most of the bands use single note up string riffs, like FF, Interpol, etc. Even I use it. And I'm not sure that Civil Sin is even Drop D. But my guitar is not here with me atm to test it.

Intro, pre-chorus, chorus and bridge remind me of Muse quite a lot. It's not about how the riffs are single note or what the chords are.

I considered how the technical aspect influence the sound.

If it was Drop D (is it or not? I can't test it without my guitar) then I'd say maybe, but still, those riffs are more similar to bands like Franz's standard tuning songs.

I considered how the technical aspect influence the sound.

If it was Drop D (is it or not? I can't test it without my guitar) then I'd say maybe, but still, those riffs are more similar to bands like Franz's standard tuning songs.

Don't get why this discussion is even taking place. There are a million ways of being influenced, and a million ways of bringing it into your own music. Whether or not a certain riff is similar is quite irrelevant.

I still think royal bloods come over riff sounds like a bassier version of Stockholm syndrome. My cousin is good friends with the guys and I have met them myself and they are both big muse fans whether this influenced them who knows and strangely it also seams muse are big fans or royal blood :)

Hmm... It's still sounds like regular indie rock. Using the up string for single note riffs and the tipical indie chords.

Since when did regular indie rock make use of strings and synths?

There is a big Muse influence going on there, early Muse meets dancey-indie.

I still think royal bloods come over riff sounds like a bassier version of Stockholm syndrome. My cousin is good friends with the guys and I have met them myself and they are both big muse fans whether this influenced them who knows and strangely it also seams muse are big fans or royal blood :)

I definitely hear some Muse in Royal Blood but I think I hear QoTSA more. But they have potential. :yesey:

How the hell Civil Sin is inspired by Muse?

You don't hear New Born in Civil Sin's chorus? During the bridge when the vocalist is singing...or "ahh"-ing also reminds me of Muse.

Edited by Raiga Kagekami

I definitely hear some Muse in Royal Blood but I think I hear QoTSA more. But they have potential. :yesey:

You're right, it's more QOTSA than anything else, but with a hint of Muse in there. If you people like Muse's heavier/riff side, you'll love Royal Blood.

Since when did regular indie rock make use of strings and synths?

You misunderstood me. I mean the guitar strings. There are six (you know) and most of indie rockers and post-punk artists tend to use the upper ones for darker mood in Standard tuning.

And nowadays basically every indie band uses synths.