• Pro Tools
    • Logic
    • Ableton
    • Cubase/Nuendo
    • FL Studio
    • Reason
    • Studio One
    • Other

Wanna chat about DAWs? I knew you guys would :awesome: Maybe not the most exciting thread, but hey..

So what/why do you guys use? I had Cubase 5, but I've just changed to Logic as my college only uses that - means I can college work on Logic at home etc.

I really dig Logic, it looks far better than Cubase 5, and I reckon I have a much faster workflow in it as well. Just makes more sense to me in terms of layout

I've got cubase elements 7 (I think that's what it's called) and logic pro X

I agree about the layout in logic making more sense. I probably use that a bit more, but there are some things I'm still trying to learn. I did find that the MIDI features in logic were MUCH easier to understand though. I could get MIDI tracks to play in cubase, but that was about it :facepalm:

Pro Tools is my one true love. Although it's expensive even with student discount. I use Logic from time to time for MIDI Whammy stuff, never really used it for much else though. Wanna get more to grips with Ableton for live performance/triggering stuff as well

Also use Audacity for quickly transposing songs up a semitone or so when I can't be arsed to tune my guitar up or down

Always been Cubase for me, though I've been out of the game a long time now.

I do like logic, will be using that for any future studio I get involved with. Hate pro tools, as a digital tape machine it's ok, nd the sound quality is great but its awkward to use for anything beyond just tracking.

My choice would almost always be Logic and that's what I've always used when I've been tracking at home or mixing. Pro Tools is fine and it's usually been the only option in studio situations but I'd agree with Jaicen that I find it a bit counter-intuitive outside of tracking.

I've used Ableton a fair bit too for triggering instruments and samples live mainly but also for a few more experimental bits or messing around with things that need a more immediate hands-on kind of approach.

I've only recently graduated from the likes of GarageBand to being able to use a full-fledged DAW, so my perspective might be a little skewed.

I've used Pro Tools for several months and still struggle to find my way around most of the time. :facepalm: Recently decided it might be a matter of personal preference, i.e. the workflow doesn't agree with me. I've switched to Cubase and am finding that a lot easier to use, only took me maybe 10 minutes to figure out how to record via MIDI and figure out the inserts.

I will say that in terms of recording a nice-sounding piano track via MIDI, Pro Tools craps all over Cubase. I'd grown quite fond of the Mini Grand plugin and the epic reverb you could build without the need for other plugins. Haven't figured out how to recreate that in Cubase yet.

Logic for me. I'm no mac guy but as far as software is concerned it's pretty damn solid and easy to work with IMO. Mind you, any is easy once you learn but it just seems so trouble free.

I also use Samplitude when I'm on my Windows machine and not so fussed about recording.

I've used Reaper for as long as I can remember. I always found Cubase a bit unreliable and Reaper has the advantage that it's free.

How so? I haven't had any problems with cubase, except that it closes "unexpectedly" when I close it intentionally.

I've used Ableton a fair bit too for triggering instruments and samples live mainly but also for a few more experimental bits or messing around with things that need a more immediate hands-on kind of approach.

Yeah, Ableton seems to be used more for electronic type stuff rather than tracking? I've gotten that impression anyway. A couple of my friends at college have it, on first glance I thought it looked seriously cluttered, but they seem to think it's far better than Logic in terms of workflow..

Surprised at the lack of love for PT :( Cubase seems surprisingly popular, to me at least. Thought there'd only be maybe one or two people that used it

I'm surprised by that too! Never really got on that well with it, wasn't a huge fan of the VSTs that came with it either. Plugins were ok though I guess.

I thought you used Logic Dom? Or is that just me remembering things from ages ago..

They had it at your college? That musta cost a ton..

edit: Says the guy that goes to a class with about 15-20 Macs in one room :facepalm:

They had the m-powered cutdown version that comes free with those £99 m-audio interfaces. Only got the full version at uni

Yeah, Ableton seems to be used more for electronic type stuff rather than tracking? I've gotten that impression anyway.

I'd say that's probably true as a general rule. I think I've only really used it once for a project that wasn't heavily MIDI or sample based and that was just to see if the change of environment helped with the writers block I was having (it did). I wouldn't say the workflow is any easier or harder, just different to something like Logic but as I say I tend to use them for completely different things really.

This is one of my favourite things I've used Ableton for that just wouldn't have felt easy or natural to do in other DAWs:

nd6yk2fxSeM