Matts Main Distortion/Fuzz for heavy/non heavy and direct songs

Technica

I've been wondering for a long time what the key is to matts distorted sound.

There's a few possibilities of what it could be but I wanted to run them through here to find out a definitive answer.

This is what I have so far

1. There's a Fuzz factory in his rig that is set in a way that does not oscillate

2. There are multiple fuzz heads set to different settings for some songs

3. A combination of amp distortion and fuzz factory/fuzz head

I'm not really sure what the main one is for non heavy (being TiRO, hysteria, resistance so on) the direct songs (madness solo and SMBH) and the more heavy (being SS, NB, DS, US and so on)

Basically discuss! :)

I think in any band, and with song writing in general, you have to try to visualize the frequencies to find gaps in your sound. Some say this is a too analytical approach, but it really helps to beef up your sound, or find why something just doesn't sound right.

A non-band related example is a choir I used to play the piano for. The conductor switched some notes in the alto and tenor part around, for convenience in singing. However, it all sounded very dissonant because the switch caused two notes to be next to each other, whereas they should've been further apart to sound right.

This is basically what sound does in any context though. Two notes next to each other may sound messed up, but further apart they can sound great.

Back on-topic: it's a mix of the guitars (of course), but also the combination of amps, microphone placement etc...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFCD9jGlB74

Probably seen by everybody here, but still nice to see.

I personally always found this tone to be very hollow, not sure why:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJr9np00s4Q&feature=youtu.be&t=5m

Amp models on the axe fx and Kemper. Plexi, AC30 and VH4 combinations. Also fuzz for certain songs.

Prior to 2nd law he had the actual amp heads in his rack rather than modelling.

Apparently he uses the axe for effects as well, and not just amp models.

The plexi/AC30/VH4 setup was for the last tour, as he actually had those amps and discussed that setup in at least one interview. I imagine the kempers could have profiles/models of anything he's had his hands on really, but it still sounds like a bit of diezel is in there somewhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6eySMcYLYY

as for the fuzz factory, I always understood that was DI'd (I think it says in the video above) for that sound like the riff at the end of uprising. No idea what the fuzz head is used for.

I think the DI'd FF could also be for the PIB intro.

Yeah, they sound pretty similar. There's also the supremacy solo. I think the best example of that sound is the madness solo though, as there aren't any other effects mixed in

Edit: referring to live recordings

yea i was messing with the Fuzz Factory and managed to get the sort of B&H + SS sound as well as the SMBH sound.

Always thought the first two involved the Fuzz Head in some way but now im not quite sure why he has it? Its not obvious on any of the songs (live)

To be honest I think the Fuzz Head could be used as a boost after the FF, or in songs like Stockholm Syndrome? Then again, it's not a sound as articulate as the FF so harder to find out.

I doubt it, his sound for that song is a bit scooped and more of a heavy distorted tone. At least on this tour.

RkhZ4h9DrTo

57:34

nope, di'd

Just when Neil thought he could get around that "no FF clones" rule.

I doubt it, his sound for that song is a bit scooped and more of a heavy distorted tone. At least on this tour.

RkhZ4h9DrTo

57:34

Just when Neil thought he could get around that "no FF clones" rule.

It could be that the fuzz head is used on its own with a compressor to get that fuzzy yet distorted tone?

I really think it could be a combination of that; if I listen to
around 3:06 it does have that deep fuzzy tone.

interesting, i'd be surprised if he uses it for heavy tones. i'm guessing he uses it frequently enough though... he seems to have removed a few other pedals from his rack since the last tour

What is the intro Matt played into SS anyways? I meant to look into it but never did. It reminds me of an old System of a Down song sort of..

someone suggested prison song, but i don't think that's it.