Live at Gran Rex 2008 - Buenos Aires, Argentina

SerpentDiaboli

The recording sounded very straightforward and untampered so it's probably just the poor tones of the era coming through. Matt's guitar is so awesome during the Starlight verse.

Fixed.

Edit: Zomg, forgot how good that live lounge Uprising is. Falsetto on the last chorus is :facemelt: is there a torrent for the video??

Edited by Jaicen

Perhaps great in studio settings but in the stadium it just sounded balls.

Mate you're all sorts of wrong. Maybe as a native lowender yourself, you notice more but I thought Chris sounded seven shades of awesome on the stadium tour, and the arenas before.

Perhaps great in studio settings but in the stadium it just sounded balls.

Mate you're all sorts of wrong. Maybe as a native lowender yourself, you notice more but I thought Chris sounded seven shades of awesome on the stadium tour, and the arenas before.

I agree, the bass at the stadium was perfect imo. Sunburn, Dead Star, Supermassive, Hysteria etc. <3

Liquid State sounded horrible, nearly always outclassed by the drums. But like I said, it's mostly the sound, sounding very overprocessed. The grittiness in the sound seems to have disappeared, and that made the sound so punchy.

Basically, the best sound of the tour: Panic Station. Sunburn really didn't sound good in my opinion, no clarity in tone. It's all muddy and lacks definition.

There's only one song which bass sound has improved, and that's starlight.

I should add that most of my experience comes from the gigs I've seen over the years; I find it hard to rely on the videos as they don't all record sound in the same way it seems. (13 gigs between 2003 / 2013)

Perhaps that's my bassist point of view. Most gigs after 2008 just don't have proper bass sound in my opinion. I'm just a grumpy bastard when it comes to his sound.

Matt's guitar sound has only gotten better :)

Better or more generic??

I know he had a pretty horrible tone between hullabaloo and absolution, at least in live terms, but I think that the absolution period was the best live toan for guitar.

When did he ditch the real amps??

Could also be that the position you were in at the 2013 gig influenced the sound you perceived. For me Sunburn was massive, punchy and really clear. If there's one song in which I found the bass underwhelming, it's Panic Station :chuckle:

Perhaps that's my bassist point of view. Most gigs after 2008 just don't have proper bass sound in my opinion. I'm just a grumpy bastard when it comes to his sound.

Matt's guitar sound has only gotten better :)

As a bassist as well I honestly think the Panic Station tone sounds like it's coming from the bottom of a swimming pool.

Better or more generic??

I know he had a pretty horrible tone between hullabaloo and absolution, at least in live terms, but I think that the absolution period was the best live toan for guitar.

When did he ditch the real amps??

Absolution tone was the best. He ditched some real amps in this tour in favour of the kemper. But it's more consistent this tour compared to the resistance tour. I feel the cleans are a lot more crisp now.

The last truly great New Born was Reading 2011.

While this bootleg is mainly great, it's a shame the bass is a bit lost in the mix. That's true of quite a lot of BH&R era recordings, tbh.

Fury sounds magnificent though.

EDIT: just realised the BH&R tour spawned three Fury pro-shots now! Sydney 2007, RAH 2008 and Gran Rex 2008. Neat.

The recording sounded very straightforward and untampered so it's probably just the poor tones of the era coming through. Matt's guitar is so shrill during the Starlight verse.

That's just cos it's FoH audio though surely, imagine it would sound quite ite loud through a set of line arrays

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Has anyone in Europe noticed how a lot of YouTube videos seem to be removed or muted, at the moment (b-sides, live performances...)?

I can understand why they would remove, say, any studio versions of Host because they want us to buy the song, and, at a stretch, why they would mute live performances freely available through muse.mu (Fury at the Royal Albert Hall, for example), but live pro shots that can't be enjoyed legally any other way and which had been online for a while, really?

The most confusing part is that they mute/remove random stuff, yet HAARP and Rome are still up :stunned:

/Rant

(I had no idea where to post this, so just chose this thread as the full version of the Gran Rex was recently removed...)