I know that's what you meant, I just like to keep challenging this idea that you need more expensive gear. I know i'm always going on about it, but you don't need a guitar that's easier to play, because you're getting better!

Obviously when it comes down to tone it gets subjective, and some people think the woods have a bigger effect, some the pups, others the amp, others think all the toan is in the fingers and the WD40.

I have a nice bass, but not because I thought "well, I only have a beginner bass, now I can play I should get a nice one" it was more like "Oh, fuck me, that bass is made of the same wood as the floorboards in heaven, I will have it".

Seymour Duncan Custom or the Custom V if you want something a little darker with less power. They are as good as anything on the market and are half the price of a lot of pups. I've had a Custom (not the Custom Custom) in my Parker for years and it still kills me.

JT

Seymour Duncan Custom or the Custom V if you want something a little darker with less power. They are as good as anything on the market and are half the price of a lot of pups. I've had a Custom (not the Custom Custom) in my Parker for years and it still kills me.

JT

Thanks. I'll look them up.

Yup, a nailbomb.

Uhm, there was no need to do that, and being frankly, an idiot.

Also, I'm not chasing especifically a Muse sound. I want a sound with some characteristics I like that I described in the OP. Since this is a Muse forum, some people here have Nailbombs and they are regarded as good pickups, I asked if they would do the work. And I also said that if they don't, give me information about other pickups that would. So stop being a complete ass.

So, for clean playing I sometimes use a small Marshall combo, but it is true that most of the time it's Amplitube/GT. So if you guys agree as I'm seing that it's not worth it when playing that way, I'll wait for a while and look at them when I've got a decent amp. (one of the reasons of me considering a new pickup was thinking the masked sound I was getting was originated by low quality pickups).

A hot p90

Thanks. Doing some research I found:

He're are the P90:s I've tried so far:

- Gibson P90: Fat and really middy, brilliant on the bridge with the pole pieces really close to the strings but for some reason I couldn't get these to sound good on the neck, they seem to have lots of upper middle but not enough presence

- Sheptone P90: Skinnier sounding than the Gibsons but for some reason I couldn't dial out some shrill upper-mid-range that annoyed me

- GFS P90: These don't sound like P90 to me at all, really thin single-coil sound that actually resemble the Fender texas special strat pickups, only louder. I actually have the on a tele and I love these pickups in it, they sound bright and clear, just not P90:ish

- Ludgren P90, 10% underwound: Smokey smooth, funny compressed fat sound but still enough highs to sound good clean, I guess this one's closest to the Gibson P13 of the ones I've tried

- Gibson P13 on Silvertone 1427: Brilliant, fat and thick with funny down-to-earth feeling, unbelievably dynamic to the extent you really have to watch your picking. Really "organic" sounding with lots of harminic content, these make a clean amp sound like it's on the edge of break-up

- Kay Barney Kessel: A bit brighter and cleaner than the P13:s but they have the same feeling to the P13:s. Lots of harmonic over/undertones which I guess make the "organic" sound..

So it seems Gibson P90 it is.

the bareknuckle p90s are incredible picksup. there's the p90, p91 and p92 depending on how my output you want. the higher the windings the easier it's going to break up clean though.

also if you want to sick with a humbucker sized route the mississippi queens sound brilliant.

you don't have to do bareknuckle of course, but i've used them and the seymour duncan p90 and the GFS Dream 90 and the BKPs win hands down for me.

Thanks for that. I have a concern about a Mississippi Queen on the bridge though: will it work with the FSK 101 sustainer? In the manual it says humbucker is needed, and if you use single coil, the strings might not be vibrated as much. But then again the a P90 is no regular single coil.

I found this:

http://www.musewiki.org/007_Manson

has upgraded into a P90 at the bridge now. But I've never seen the sustainer being used with that guitar, so I'm not sure if it will work.

• 1 month later...

So I finally decided to go for the Mississippi Queen and I can't be happier.

After I installed it, I can definately notice the change in Amplitube / Guitar Rig although I now switched to mostly playing through a solid state Marshall amp.

I'm most impressed by how much difference there is in clean tones relative to my old humbucker. The Mississippi Queen has a lot more presence and definition. With distorsion (I mostly use a Fuzz Factory), I get very sharp middy tones, which is exactly what I wanted. Although it isn't as powerful as a humbucker, I don't miss the sound at all, and it has enough beef.

Oh and at the end, having a FSK 101 Sustainer was not a problem (in the instructions it said it would only work with humbuckers, but this proves it wrong). I think the single coil in the Sustainer is quite good, so when I put the pup selector in the middle position, the sound of the guitar is awesome too.

The only complaint I have at the moment is that the MQ is a lot louder than the Sustainer Single Coil, but that's because it's a lot closer to the strings. I can't get any closer with the Sustainer now because the springs in the screws are already fully compressed, so when I do the next string change I'll shorten them so I can get it to a proper distance to the strings.

And thanks for helping me decide. :happy:

• 1 month later...
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a new set of pickups for my Ibanez guitar, but really dont have the money to pay for ones that cost more than $100. Any help?

if you are working on a small budget then if I were you I'd upgrade the pickup you use the most. In my case that would be the bridge pickup.

just my 2 cents

Also Dimarzio's and Seymour Duncans are something to look into, the S.D's are priced very reasonably.

Archived