Matthew Bellamy is the greatest composer since 1995

Terence Mckenna

I don't argue about the lack of depth in most of his stuff, but I also believe I've heard him say it's a conscious choice (adding in multiple or at least vague interpretations, usually about relationships, to makes songs more "relatable," etc) - so, maybe not so much that he's not "strong" at lyrics, so much as makes decisions we don't always particularly care for.

This might be close enough to the same thing for most people...

You mentioned Supremacy and Animals (which imo only have one bad line each) and not Survival? :erm:

Good point. Forgot about Survival. I'd like to think Matt was taking the piss when writing Survival though, because it's just so over the top.

Also, I like your avatar. There isn't enough Crash Bandicoot in the world.

I don't argue about the lack of depth in most of his stuff, but I also believe I've heard him say it's a conscious choice (adding in multiple or at least vague interpretations, usually about relationships, to makes songs more "relatable," etc) - so, maybe not so much that he's not "strong" at lyrics, so much as makes decisions we don't always particularly care for.

This might be close enough to the same thing for most people...

I don't think that good lyricism has to be 2deep4u or anything like that, I just find a lot of Matt's lyrics are generic on the whole, even stretching to plain dumb at some points. Even Megalomania, Hoodoo and Fury (his best lyrics imo) don't stretch beyond 'good' imo. This makes me sound like a proper snob/elitist when it comes to lyrics but I'm not, I promise :chuckle:

I tend to forgive some of the stuff on Showbiz though 'cause he was just starting out.

What the hell is Paul being such a bitch about?

Totally missed most of the first page. What am I missing here? Why does he have a right to be pissed off?

You guys are like gossipy 13 year olds. Clearly Sippe's time teaching has rubbed off on him negatively.

I think Matt's lyrics are great, full of messages for those who will understand them. I talk here about metaphysical meaning, related to the eternal and universal, not to our daily life and mind.

When he sings, he knows that it's not "him alone"(even if, yes, he's the only master on boat, all comes from brain), it's more like a channel who speaks to every hears with differents receptions. It's often conforting or moving messages.

I love Muse

Edited by Terence Mckenna

No

"it's more like a channel who speaks to every hears with differents receptions"I mean "different ways of understanding"

Well... I accept that everybody understands things differently but there's only so much you can get out of certain songs, Survival for example.

Race, life's a race

and I'm gonna win

I suppose you can take it as a comment on evolution and Darwinism, but it's hardly the most subtle example.

I still try to forget about Survival.

I try and tell myself the lyrics have to be a joke, but somedays...

Yeah Survival's lyrics are shite, the instrumental version is great though.

I think Matt's lyrics are great, full of messages for those who will understand them. I talk here about metaphysical meaning, related to the eternal and universal, not to our daily life and mind.

:stunned:

Whatever happened to that Muse lyrics generator? We all know that's how Matt puts his lyrics together...

To be honest I judge anyone who thinks Matt's NWO-tinged crap and commentary on the state of the world is poignant.

There are some interesting ideas in the lyrics. Despite being one of zaniest in Muse's lyrics repertoire, the idea behind Exo-Politics taken to an abstract enough level is a nice one, if taken as being about governments using smokescreens to destract people from the real issues, rather than, you know, being about co-operation of governments and aliens. I just don't think the ideas are almost ever executed in a way that makes them stand out. I mean just having a few lines of words and using those elegantly or effectively is an art form in itself.

Edited by sade