Matthew Bellamy is the greatest composer since 1995

Terence Mckenna

Song writer > words

composer > music

Great artists are often both, but, for exemple : Michael Jackson didn't compose all his music (he had some great bands for arrange or create music on his ideas), but the words of the songs are his own, I think.

Matthew Bellamy is a great great great song writer in every sens, words and music .

Edited by Terence Mckenna

Well if you were to separate the two, then how would you describe it?

Lyricist is the one who writes the lyrics, songwriter is the one who writes the song (which might have lyrics or might be instrumental). Songwriting can include lyrics, but saying "songwriter > words" is wrong.

edit: if the melody is written by A and the lyrics are written by B, I'd say A and B wrote the song.

Lyricist is the one who writes the lyrics, songwriter is the one who writes the song (which might have lyrics or might be instrumental). Songwriting can include lyrics, but saying "songwriter > words" is wrong.

So where does a composer fit into that? :LOL: It's hardly wrong, it's just not necessarily all of their job.. plus, he put it there to use it as a feature of songwriting that separates it from composing, not to say that that's all they do.

edit: if the melody is written by A and the lyrics are written by B, I'd say A and B wrote the song.

Condiering the only that separates "song" from just "music" is the lyrics, it would only make sense that "songwriter" is distinctive from general "composer" because of writing words along to the music.

How about

Composer = music

Lyricist = words

Songwriter = words + music

So where does a composer fit into that? :LOL: It's hardly wrong, it's just not necessarily all of their job.. plus, he put it there to use it as a feature of songwriting that separates it from composing, not to say that that's all they do.

Oh wait, I wasn't saying songwriter and composer are that different, my reply to Tim was there because I couldn't think of a difference, but I don't deny there might be one. I'd argue that songwriting can include both composing and writing lyrics, but it also be the same as just composing if lyrics aren't there (duh).

Condiering the only that separates "song" from just "music" is the lyrics, it would only make sense that "songwriter" is distinctive from general "composer" because of writing words along to the music.

How about

Composer = music

Lyricist = words

Songwriter = words + music

That's where songwriter and composer become synonyms, yeah.

The actual question is: why is this thread still open?

edit: I disagree with the first part, an instrumental piece still is a song imo (didn't we have the same discussion last year somewhere in Other Music? Just semantics though really)

edit: I disagree with the first part, an instrumental piece still is a song imo (didn't we have the same discussion last year somewhere in Other Music? Just semantics though really)

Yes we did. And if you can find me a definition of "song" that doesn't specifically mention the inclusion of lyrics I'll change my mind. And of course it's just semantics but I'm bored.