I love Muse's songs, their the most creative songs out there. Everything is fantastic about their songs accept one thing, Matthew Bellamy's breathing in for air. I cant get over how loud and annoying it is. It takes away from the beauty of the song in my opinion. So my question is, why does he do it, and does it annoy you guys? Dont get me wrong, their brilliant in their music accept fo the breathing.

Guitar Player

p.s Im new here so hi.:)

I love Muse's songs, their the most creative songs out there. Everything is fantastic about their songs accept one thing, Matthew Bellamy's breathing in for air. I cant get over how loud and annoying it is. It takes away from the beauty of the song in my opinion. So my question is, why does he do it, and does it annoy you guys? Dont get me wrong, their brilliant in their music accept fo the breathing.

Guitar Player

hello there..:happy: .nice to meet ya...*shakes hand*

anyways back on the topic..yeh i cant listen to time is running out anymore without laughin at his breathing..:rolleyes:.its very sharp and more noticible the more you listen out for it..same in feeling good...and other songs..the more you listen for it the more you can hear it..so maybe you could just try to ignore it?:LOL:

but yeh does spoil it a bit but hey its muse and theres no changin tht..:LOL:.maybe he has athsma...or summit..:stunned:

thx:happy:

And obviously I wasn't referring to you but today's joiners;) (who participated for 60% when I posted that)

ahh i see dam i didnt realise were on the 10 th of july today!:eek::LOL:

hee hee wow...new noobs fun!!

didnt matt suffer from asthma

thts what i sed before....but am not sure..:erm:

Nah, the breating is fine to me. And as a matter of fact, the songs wont sound the same without it. Why? Because it carries intecity. It's the same as Matt's voice - sure, it sounds fantastic, yet there are opera singers which can pierce those notes better than him. But the songs themselves carry the intencity of the lyrics and melody and need a voice that can deliver that emotion of neglect, pain even.

Besides, how can you not like the breating in new born? ;)

*deep breath* link it to the world *deep breath* link it to yourself *deep breath* stretch it like a birth squeeze.... and so on :p

his breathing doesn't ruin the song, it's kinda characteristic i think :LOL:, it doesn't annoy me but it would b great for him to take breathing lessons, 'cause other people do think his breathing kinda ruins the songs, and his voice is too good as for not appreciating it because of the funny noises he does :LOL:

Matt's breathing is pretty heavy for a singer... that'd probably be because he's not had vocal lessons (at least on the first 2 or 3 albums).

BUT... the actual main reason his breathing is so 'loud' is due to compression, both studio and recording. Matt has a very loud voice, a lot of volume to it, thus the frequencies have to be 'squished' to stop it getting too, well, loud.

I think it makes the music more intimate, more real. They could easily eliminate the breathing sound in the studio, but they choose not to. It adds to the overall experience.

It does bother me a lot though when I'm trying to convert a friend to muse...

The breathing is responsible for about 70-80% of my failed attempts, and even those who i successfully addict still mention it.

I dont think you need the breathing at all for the emotion and intensity, Muse's songs are already very intense and emotional. I had thought about that before, that he might have ashma or breathing problems, which in that case they should just eleminate the breathing in the studio. But im guessing they like the sound:(

If they eliminate all the breathing, sound and speech deffects, the songs would sound pretty much artificial, no?

And when they eventually do a live of the cleaned record song it would sound nothing like it, correct?

Little imperfections are all that make things okay sometimes ;)

i never even noticed matt's breathing until it was mentioned.... his breathing doesn't annoy me, just sounds like normal singing. normal beautiful singing.

+1

and I noticed the other day his microphone technique - he actually comes right up to the mic when he's taking a breath and pulls back to sing ?deliberate I reckon, cos his technique is amazing at keeping the levels perfect when he sings live, despite all his jigging about he does and the different singing techniques he uses throughout the songs

(err too many techniques in one paragraph?!?!? :LOL::$)

Guitar Player

So im guessing you dont like Map of your head...or Deadstar?

in the beginning it used to stand out, but now I don't even hear it anymore.. Besides.. It think it makes it a little more personal when you're sitting there listening to the song w/ some headphones. Seems as if he's standing right next to me singing-unedited/unproduced :) One song that it's pretty apparent is on KoC, between, "No one's gonna take me alive!!!!"

Nah, the breating is fine to me. And as a matter of fact, the songs wont sound the same without it. Why? Because it carries intecity. It's the same as Matt's voice - sure, it sounds fantastic, yet there are opera singers which can pierce those notes better than him. But the songs themselves carry the intencity of the lyrics and melody and need a voice that can deliver that emotion of neglect, pain even.

Besides, how can you not like the breating in new born? ;)

*deep breath* link it to the world *deep breath* link it to yourself *deep breath* stretch it like a birth squeeze.... and so on :p

adds a whole new life to the song if you ask me. :LOL:

i think the breathing is cute. :LOL:

Archived