Which album to start with Muse

musetrip

Hi there,

Sorry for the frenglish that is following:

I would like to introduce muse to a japanese colleague (she is fond of J-rock, but does not know much about foreign/european bands).

Christmas is coming, it's time to pay my CD, but I do not really know which one. Most of muse album/live-CD are available in Tokyo.

First, I thought HAARP could be a good option (different songs from different albums), but finally I think it sounds a little bit too much rock-stadium, and a live-record might not be the best to get into a new band.

Ja,,, my favorite album is probably showbiz, which one would you recommend and why ?

Thanks for your help !!

Edited by musetrip

To introduce someone to the band I would suggest Absolution; it's pretty much their definitive sound without being as complex as Origin.

This. I started with Hysteria, Apocalypse Please, Sing For Absolution, TIRO. A first I'd suggest Black Holes too; then Origin, and finally you should love them and listen to the whole discography, mainly the b-sides

Thx for your answers,

I agree, absolution would be a good option. I was a bit disappointed by the ratio energic songs/soft piano songs... if I remember well.

Origine of Symetry is more like,,, you like it and you will get into the band, or you did not like it and there is no chance for a second try :)...(which might be a good option to introduce someone to the band).

Nobody suggested Showbiz,...

Nobody suggested Showbiz,...

I wouldn't say Showbiz is particularly good for introducing someone to the band. It sounds pretty dated nowadays and is probably the furthest away from the other albums musically and lyrically. If the person you want to introduce them to is into 90s teen angst though, go ahead.

imo, none of the other albums sound much like showbiz at all, so it wouldn't be the best album to introduce someone to muse with. I agree with OoS or absolution, although I tend to lean more towards OoS just because, as you said, if you love OoS, it's pretty darn likely you'll like everything else they do.

True, though I've not bought an album without at least cursory listens on soundcloud, youtube, spotify ectr, for a few years now.

Sure, but that's when you want to check out an artist for yourself. The original question was about introducing someone else with Muse using a christmas present.

Thanks for your answers,

I am over 30, so I used to buy CDs..., and I like showbiz, and now I use online medias as well to listen to music.

Yes for a Xmas present I prefer something real (so I decided for a CD of origin, but I will add a USB key containing my mp3 as well good idea). Japanese guys still buy their CDs, and there are still plenty of record shops in Tokyo !!

Thanks again !!