What Muse means to you?

apoco123

I just wondered what kind of significance Muse has on all your lives...what does Muse mean to you?

For me their the reason why I came out with my sexuality, without them I don't think I would have ever discovered the person who I really am...they have held my hand in the darkest of times and I can't imagine who/what I would be without them.

Sorry if this thread may seem pointless or whatever, but I feel I've never discussed this on here before and be cool to find out other fans stories on how they came about Muse and how they fell in love with them.

Muse means a lot to me

they have helped me through very difficult times in my life, provided me a reason to make it through the day, be excited for something in life

also they have inspired me to create something beautiful in my life, whether it be music, art or photography :)

yes they are just a band but have changed my life. maybe they opened up my eyes to the world. without them I would probably be one of those brainwashed teenage girls listening to radio music 24/7...completely unaware of the world around me

This is so cornball, but maybe I'm feeling a bit reflective at the end of the year. While Muse is no longer my favorite band, and I can sometimes go for extended periods not even listening to them, they still changed my life for the better in so many ways. Seriously, my life would be completely different if I had not stumbled upon them.

I had pretty much written off music sometime in the 90s just out of disgust, so they pretty much woke me up out of a musical coma. Now I have a passion for music again and have discovered a shit ton of bands I never would have known about otherwise. (Muse: The Gateway Band.) Also, just loving music again has made my life go down paths it normally wouldn't have (being part of this forum, breaking my TV addiction, meeting tons of people from all over that have become real life friends, etc). And I think I'm all the better for it.

Regardless of how I feel about Muse down the line as far as the next album, etc, they will always be significant and important to me. :happy:

#sappy

So true about them being a gateway band.

And also I could have written that bit about giving up on music in the 90s out of disgust and then discovering Muse and having it change your life.

I probably would have done something drastic a year ago had I not been awakened to all the beautiful music I can now enjoy thanks to this board. And this band.

I think all popular bands are potential gateway bands. They all can introduce people to delve further into their inspirations depending on the curiosity of the listener. Interesting how a lot of people on this board have very similar tastes or are open to the same kinds of music, even ones that haven't actually liked Muse themselves for years.

Interesting how a lot of people on this board have very similar tastes or are open to the same kinds of music, even ones that haven't actually liked Muse themselves for years.

And that's why the internet is awesome. It's probably easier for younger people because they often like the same music as their peers. I remember in college and stuff, my friends and I all listened to the same music. Right or wrong, it was almost how you picked your friends! And that kinship through music is so strange and weird; a commonality that carries through other things like other interests, values, etc... When you get older, you lose that. People start hating music and listening to talk radio. Or they listen to Carrie Underwood. They drive minivans and talk about swim team. It's horrifying. So it's so important that through a common interest in similar music, I have found "my people", even if they live all over the country (or world for that matter).

Muse were my gateway band as well. First band I ever became a real fan of, first band I saw live, and made me want to make music myself. They introduced me to a lot of things that have become massively important to me so I can't help but feel kind of thankful, even if some of the stuff they've done in the last few years has turned me off them a bit. I can't go as far as to say they saved my life or anything, but seeing OOS in full at Leeds Fest 2011 was probably the best day of my life so that probably has to count for something :chuckle:

Muse for me were the first band that allowed me to really "find" my style / taste in music. Also as a young lighting / sound technician I feel that my lighting style would be completely different today had I not discovered their pretty epic lighting, visuals and stages.. and how it all blends so well together with the music rather than just being something thats there to accompany.

Also I suppose the amount of thought that they put into how their live shows will work and putting certain songs together is something that in the past has sort of driven me to do the same on my own shows - and definitely with experimentation and trying out new things.

(such a fanboy post, lol :LOL: )