Anyone else dissappointed that Muse might just do two gigs 2014?

Marusken

I think I heard somewhere on here that they were going to play Parken in Copenhagen in early August but Robbie Williams got the only day they could do it, although I might be making shit up.

In terms of next year, we'll probably find out everything soon enough anyway. The Euro-festival bills for next summer all come out by the end of February. I think any 20th gig will just be a Teignmouth gig or two and then something bigger elsewhere. If it happens. But who knows?

I think I heard somewhere on here that they were going to play Parken in Copenhagen in early August but Robbie Williams got the only day they could do it, although I might be making shit up.

In terms of next year, we'll probably find out everything soon enough anyway. The Euro-festival bills for next summer all come out by the end of February. I think any 20th gig will just be a Teignmouth gig or two and then something bigger elsewhere. If it happens. But who knows?

yeah, same thing will USA festivals, the line-ups will be announced next month. :D

I don't know much about Sweden/Scandinavia/Europe in general, but something doesn't make sense to me. Why do Muse have such a hard time filling an arena in Sweden when they play stadiums in Norway, Finland and Denmark?

This band doesn't seem to have a problem playing to half full arenas (like my show in Columbus), so I don't think it's a question of that. Otherwise, they'd have cancelled about half of the shows in the US! There has to be some other reason.

I don't know much about Sweden/Scandinavia/Europe in general, but something doesn't make sense to me. Why do Muse have such a hard time filling an arena in Sweden when they play stadiums in Norway, Finland and Denmark?

I don't know about the differences between Norway and Denmark in comparison to Sweden, however in a cultural sense there seems to be differences between Finland and Sweden in the general vibe of the culture which also transform to some extent to the type of music is popular. Sweden seems to prefer more upbeat stuff whereas Finns love brooding and melancholy, heavier rock/metal in also extremely popular here. So the excessive pathos of (earlier) Muse fits the local tastes quite well. Then I would imagine the Swedish market in general is a lot harder to break. (Obviously those cultural characterisations are generalisations). The Swedes here must have more insight on how Muse is viewed in Sweden.

The stadium/arene distinction however here isn't as huge as the word "stadium" may imply: Muse didn't sell the 17 000 tickets released for Parken in Denmark in 2009; they played for around 17 000 people in Oslo, Norway and 26 000 in Finland for the 2013 stadium dates, whereas the 2012 arena shows in Norway and Finland were for 10 000 and 13 000 (sold out instantly). In Sweden they struggled to sell out 9000 in 2009.

EDIT: Keep in mind Sweden has the population of 9,5 million, Norway a little over 5 million, Finland and Denmark around 5,5 million.

Edited by sade

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...