Delivering Muse in 4K: Interview with Matt Bellamy

RedStar

Pretty sure it wasn't released on 4K. 4K is a bit of a gimmick in most people's cases anyway - you need a REALLY big TV or need to sit really close to it to actually notice the difference between it and HD. 60" HD is fine up to 9' away, so you'd need a TV the size of a wall...e.g. an actual cinema.

The 4k demos I've seen in the stores really do look different... Is that just a trick of the footage they use?

I do get the size issue; isn't that why Apple is allowed to call things "retina displays" even though the actual resolutions vary quite a bit?

All a function of pixels, size, and expected viewing distance, from what I've read...

Someone picked the one Landmark cinema in my state that hadn't upgraded to 4k for the Muse screening... so as far as what that looked like, I'll never know.

The 4k demos I've seen in the stores really do look different... Is that just a trick of the footage they use?

I do get the size issue; isn't that why Apple is allowed to call things "retina displays" even though the actual resolutions vary quite a bit?

All a function of pixels, size, and expected viewing distance, from what I've read...

Someone picked the one Landmark cinema in my state that hadn't upgraded to 4k for the Muse screening... so as far as what that looked like, I'll never know.

We could always get the DVD, take it to the IMAX at the zoo, and pretend it's 4k. :LOL:

That's the idea behind Apple's stuff, that the pixel size means that at average viewing distance for a person with average site the pixels can't be seen, same principle applies with any screen. The same principle is why astronomers keep trying to build these ridiculously big-mirrored telescopes so you resolve even smaller objects in the sky.

You might just have really good eyes. I think a lot of the quoted figures tend to refer to 20/20 vision but quite a few people do have slightly better eyesight than hat and might pick up on the difference. I can't really see the difference from standing a bit away but I haven't a long look tbh.

The 4k demo I saw was just some cityscape shots, on a 60" Sony TV.

The first thing that caught my eye was actually the sharpness of the color and the contrast (which I think Matt mentions in that commercial,) but I do admit I could easily have been fooled by some very cleverly shot footage into thinking 4k was the "next big thing."

After all, my expensive HD TV looks like absolute shit compared to how it looked in the store, even playing Blu Ray.

(They gave me some bs about how I need to pay them $500 to calibrate it...)

I would still really have loved to see the gig in a 4k theater, just to see what it was all about.

That was definitely a Sony ad. :LOL:

Cute bit where Matt mentions "too much detail" redeems it a bit.

I looked at the prices for 4k TVs and all... a little TOO ahead of the curve for me. :phu:

Was the actual movie even released in 4K? :unsure:

It was released in 4k, they released it into cinemas with 4k capabilities i thought, it would of defeated the purpose of filming it in 4k if they couldn't even show it in 4k in cinemas i would of thought.

It was released in 4k, they released it into cinemas with 4k capabilities i thought, it would of defeated the purpose of filming it in 4k if they couldn't even show it in 4k in cinemas i would of thought.

Sorry, the Blu Ray release doesn't seem to have come in a 4k variety, is what I meant.

Did seem a mite odd that it was pretty much an ad for how awesome 4k was, and wasn't released (in home version) on it.

It was in SOME theaters in 4k.

It was in 2k in my area, and at a theater that seemed to have lower end sound and screens, to boot.

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry, the Blu Ray release doesn't seem to have come in a 4k variety, is what I meant.

Did seem a mite odd that it was pretty much an ad for how awesome 4k was, and wasn't released (in home version) on it.

It was in SOME theaters in 4k.

It was in 2k in my area, and at a theater that seemed to have lower end sound and screens, to boot.

Ahhhh sorry i was trying to wrap my head around the whole concept, my apologies!!

They gave Matt a free 4K projector for doing that.

That actually makes me feel better about it, oddly... :chuckle:

He mentions not being able to get one for himself in the video.

Not even sure blu-ray can contain a 4K 95 min gig.

Studios are putting out Blu Ray movies in 4k, to my knowledge. I saw some in the store before the holidays, at any rate.

I would assume they are just more discs?

Either way, it's a bit odd to me to advertise the shit out of this in 4k, and no one can see it as such...

Except as a UK demo used in stores, I guess.