Self-built guitars/basses

01FromFinland

Hi everyone. Didn't find a thread about this topic. So, has anyone of you decided to make your own Manson guitars and Pedulla basses? :D:D

Well, i'm probably buying a cheap, 400€, custom built Telecaster and i'm going to make a lot of ''Matt-style'' customizations to it. This is the guitar that i'm buying:

[ATTACH]15565[/ATTACH]

And what am i going to do to it? Well, first of all, it is going to be green-glitter-painted. Then i'm going to install a Kaoss pad to it. Anyone else thinking now that it would then fool 95% of people that it's a real Manson?

Why do you want to fool people into thinking it's a Manson?

Because i don't have 3500€, or something like that to buy a real one. But i always have wanted and will want a Manson. Plus, i'm only 17 years old. And that is going to be my first electric guitar and i want something different. And by the way, i never wanted to say that i WANT to fool people that it's a real Manson. I meant to ask that do you think that some people may actually misleadingly think it's a real Manson. Perhaps i placed my own words a little wrong.

And people, show me/us (if anyone else is actually interested to see them) your self-made guitars! :)

Hi everyone. Didn't find a thread about this topic. So, has anyone of you decided to make your own Manson guitars and Pedulla basses? :D:D

Well, i'm probably buying a cheap, 400€, custom built Telecaster and i'm going to make a lot of ''Matt-style'' customizations to it. This is the guitar that i'm buying:

[ATTACH]15565[/ATTACH]

And what am i going to do to it? Well, first of all, it is going to be green-glitter-painted. Then i'm going to install a Kaoss pad to it. Anyone else thinking now that it would then fool 95% of people that it's a real Manson?

attachment isn't working

Or the Shattocaster thread

That must have been deleted recently. I can't find it. Just like I can't find luthier Phill Manson.

are you going to change the shape of the body at all?

to be honest, i think the average person in a crowd (especially ones that don't play guitar and aren't familiar with Mansons) WOULD associate a guitar with a glitter finish and X-Y pad with Muse at least

Not sure if that's a good thing or not

"OH WOW that guy totally has a manson!!! Pity his playing sucks sweaty diseased ass...."

just sayin. If your playing is awesome, nobody will give a fuck what guitar you have. BUT, if your playing is fucking awful, your fancy shiny fake manson wont matter at all.

"OH WOW that guy totally has a manson!!! Pity his playing sucks sweaty diseased ass...."

just sayin. If your playing is awesome, nobody will give a fuck what guitar you have. BUT, if your playing is fucking awful, your fancy shiny fake Manson wont matter at all.

Fake Manson? Where did i said that it's body is going to be shaped exactly like a Manson? Do you see Manson pickups? And btw, the stage-thing was just an example. I'm mostly going to use this for recording...

And one other thing: Why do you people have to be so rude against me? Like ''omg noob kid go to work get your 3,5K and buy a real Manson that's a fake lol it sucks''

First of all: I'm not trying to make an exact copy of MB-1. This is only inspired from it and probably only things that are going to be the same are flaked/glitter color (well, not even that, this is going to be green or yellow, not red) and the Xy-pad.

Secondly: This project is just for fun. I'm not trying to create anything special or unusual. I just want to make a guitar that looks cool in my eyes. So, if you are here only to tell me, that it will look and sound awful and it's a fake, please go away. You can't tell me what looks good for me. And for being fake... Look to the first part of this text.

Thirdly: If you look the project guitar closely and then Manson MB-1, you may notice that they don't look the same: They have differently shaped bodies, different pickups, a little different headstocks...

So, maybe that tells you that I AM NOT TRYING TO COPY MB-1. I'M TRYING TO MAKE MY OWN GUITAR, WHICH IS INSPIRED BY MB-1 :)

Fake Manson? Where did i said that it's body is going to be shaped exactly like a Manson? Do you see Manson pickups? And btw, the stage-thing was just an example. I'm mostly going to use this for recording...

And one other thing: Why do you people have to be so rude against me? Like ''omg noob kid go to work get your 3,5K and buy a real Manson that's a fake lol it sucks''

First of all: I'm not trying to make an exact copy of MB-1. This is only inspired from it and probably only things that are going to be the same are flaked/glitter color (well, not even that, this is going to be green or yellow, not red) and the Xy-pad.

Secondly: This project is just for fun. I'm not trying to create anything special or unusual. I just want to make a guitar that looks cool in my eyes. So, if you are here only to tell me, that it will look and sound awful and it's a fake, please go away. You can't tell me what looks good for me. And for being fake... Look to the first part of this text.

Thirdly: If you look the project guitar closely and then Manson MB-1, you may notice that they don't look the same: They have differently shaped bodies, different pickups, a little different headstocks...

So, maybe that tells you that I AM NOT TRYING TO COPY MB-1. I'M TRYING TO MAKE MY OWN GUITAR, WHICH IS INSPIRED BY MB-1 :)

Maybe you should actually think about the point people are trying to make before you assume we're calling you a twat. If i was going to call you a twat, I'd call you a twat.

What I was saying is that there's no point in modding a guitar to bits if your playing/recording/whatever sucks. The whole point of modding something is to take something you like, and adjust it to what you need. Putting in superfluous stuff like xy pads and whatever is pointless UNLESS you absolutely need to be able to use it from the guitar. Is the difference in milliseconds between touching it on your guitar, and on a proper midi controller beside where you're playing going to crucially affect the outcome of the song? I'd like to see that.

Modding should be a thing of necessity, and not just "because you can." For example, I have a peavey rotor ex. I never ever liked any pickup I had in the neck position, so I got rid of it. With the pickup I had in the bridge, it was all I really needed, however, for playing certain controls, I needed a tone somewhere between a bridge humbucker and a single-coil in the neck, so I put in a coil-split control for the bridge, and it was perfect. A simple pot did it, although if I wanted to, I could have done it with a backlit touch-sensitive circular pot similar to a classic ipod wheel.

/thread

also, fyi, there is a shitstrom of threads about making mansion replicas on this board. If I was going to take the piss out of anything, it would be that you didn't really look hard enough. Look at anything in the general luthiery thread, or people's specific threads on their manson replica.

In conclusion, if you used search and had some actual proper questions and read a few posts, green glitter sounds pretty cool actually. Not using search and reading, it's not a kaoss pad you put into guitars, it's an xy midi controller, and taking the piss out of someone looks like this:

1zvs61.jpg