MXR phase 90 vs EHX nano small stone?

apocalyptickaoss

I'm wondering whether to get a small stone or phase 90. I'm looking for a lush, yet subtle phaser which works well under arpeggiated chords, and such. It will always be on a slow-ish setting, never more than 12 o'clock. I play music that sounds like a mix of coldplay, rhcp and muse. Oh, and my setup is a 1981 Thinline tele, line 6 echo park, Red witch flanger, Way Huge Swollen Pickle, Blackstar Ht-dual into a Vox AC30.

Thanks for the help, guys! :D

I've owned them both, both good quality pedals but personally I preferred the Phase 90, I think that would be better for what you are looking for

Basically the Phase 90 is on a lot of Muse Tracks, The Small Stone is on the Guitar intro and first verse of Radiohead's Paranoid Android

Both Matt Bellamy and Jonny Buckland use the Phase 90's anyway

http://blog-imgs-37.fc2.com/m/y/k/mykeita/Matt_Bellamy_Rack_Equipment.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t1/gitarooviper/JohnnyBucklandPedalboard2.jpg

:)

Never used the Nano, but generally prefer the Small Stone over the Phase90. All the different versions of the Small stone do sound a bit different, for what you'd spend on a new Phase90, you'd have plenty of options on the second hand market for Small Stones.

Talk Show Host by Radiohead is a good example of a Small Stone, as well as the entirety of Oxygene by Jean Michel Jarre. Beautiful pedal on guitars, synths, vocals...

I've not tried a Phase 90 but I have considered trying to compare it at some point. I have a Nano Small Stone myself, and I find it works very nicely on clean sounds, especially with delay, e.g. Citizen Erased outro, stuff like that, but it is a bit much sometimes. It has a very wide sweep and sometimes it'll get to a kind of sweet spot and keep going. I don't know if other phasers are like that or if it's just that one. I could do with it being a bit more controllable, but I got it for £30 so I can't really complain too much about it. I'd be interested to see if people can describe others in detail though.

I have a Phase 90 James gave me but I still have to put in the switch I have for it but I've used on before and really liked it. Actually, on the topic of Phasers my guitarist just got a PH-2 so I'll let ye know how that goes. They seem to go pretty cheap so that might also be an option.

Not sure why, but I think the PH2 is cold sounding.

P90 is definitely my favourite after the UniVibe. The smallstone is only really usable with a specific type of 'Gilmour' Shine on... tone. At fast speeds it's just too much. Really good for synths and Wurlitzers though.