Classically Trained or Self-taught?

Sancor

This just coming from a variety of sources I remember, I think Matt has has a few lessons of some kind throughout, but not enough to get him to where he is at now. Most of the progression was on his own (self taught), but I think he got a bit of a push a few times with sporatic lessons, but nothing too serious. If he took classes in college or something, they were probably more out of interest, because he didn't want to study anything else. Probably not for a particular reason of "getting better" or "improving technique" or anything fancy like that.

Dom I know is self taught, but Chris I don't know actually... someone said that he started guitar and switched to bass, which is true, so he is probably mostly self taught as well.

That just reminded me…they've all mentioned their music teacher, Miss Bird, or something? But from what I got out of it she didn't actually teach any of them how to play instruments. Plus from my experience of music classes in elementary and high schools in the US you learn some theory and history and stuff but the instrument learning part is mostly on your own unless you join band or orchestra or something…(though I have no idea how school works in the UK) Maybe that's what gypsydjango means? I mean, I believe him, but I don't really see why Matt would deny any piano training consistently, especially since it's not like he's hid having had a few guitar lessons.

edit: just read the interview you linked to, Cally, and

If he's talking about the same teacher then yeah, basically my post, sorta. Also,

:LOL:

Music teachers in schools never actually teach how to play anything. Well, at least not the music teachers I've had during middle school/high school. :LOL:

I'm sure Matt took piano classes when he was young. And I know for a fact he took lessons in Spanish guitar for 6 months. Besides that, idk.

Music teachers in schools never actually teach how to play anything. Well, at least not the music teachers I've had during middle school/high school. :LOL:

I'm sure Matt took piano classes when he was young. And I know for a fact he took lessons in Spanish guitar for 6 months. Besides that, idk.

I learned mandolin from my high school teacher so they're not completely useless. :LOL:

Didn´t Matt say in an interview that he had some piano lessons, but that he got tired of the teacher telling him he had to train one of his fingers every day to get better or someting?

this one:

it starts at 1.17

EDIT:

Correction XD He says he had only one lesson :p

But he had spanish guitar lessons for 6 months.

Archived