Digitech Whammy V vs. Boss PS-6

spiderpirata

Ah, I was a bit confused there, so this Boss pedal can do a pitch-shifting effect, all on its own, similar to the one in BF and MOTP? And I swore I read somewhere that Matt didn't actually coin this effect, that others have used it before him. I don't have any evidence either way, but I'm pretty sure I read it somewhere..

The effect in MOTP is a vocoder, so yeah, people have been at it for decades.

The Boss pedal can do pitchshifting, just can't control it using MIDI like all Whammies since the WH4.

actually is it a vocoder? Maybe I'm missing something obvious but can't see vocoder in the descrip anywhere

That particular synth does have a vocoder and I have replicated the effect with I think a square wave playing the pattern, running both that and a guitar into a vocoder, then adding distortion after.

Doing it with a Whammy, it is more glitchy and MOTP is more clean in comparison. But really picking hairs at that point.

How does Matt get the MOTP effect live? My guitar teacher reckons he mimes to a backing track, whilst it isn't hard to mime to, that's ridiculous as the tone is different for almost every performance. So, considering Matt doesn't just settle for using Guitar Rig/Whammy like us regular folk, what does he do?

How does Matt get the MOTP effect live? My guitar teacher reckons he mimes to a backing track, whilst it isn't hard to mime to, that's ridiculous as the tone is different for almost every performance. So, considering Matt doesn't just settle for using Guitar Rig/Whammy like us regular folk, what does he do?

Read the above posts

That particular synth does have a vocoder and I have replicated the effect with I think a square wave playing the pattern, running both that and a guitar into a vocoder, then adding distortion after.

This might be a dumb question, but I don't suppose there is a VST synth modeled on the Clavia is there?

And which vocoder did you use to do this?

This might be a dumb question, but I don't suppose there is a VST synth modeled on the Clavia is there?

And which vocoder did you use to do this?

Any vocoder and a synth if required that I've had access to over the years.

Got a recording I did in Ableton using Vocoder and Analog, but didn't have an amp simulator at the time.

Aha, I'm not too familiar with his live setup besides the obvious (whammy, FF etc) How much are they? If they're uber expensive is there a decent, cheaper alternative that can be used for MOTP?

A WH4 and plenty of VSTs out there.

Would be totally stupid to buy a synth to only play MOTP. :LOL:

Aha, I'm not too familiar with his live setup besides the obvious (whammy, FF etc) How much are they? If they're uber expensive is there a decent, cheaper alternative that can be used for MOTP?

I think they're reasonably expensive. And take a scroll through the gear page on musewiki, is pretty detailed I guess

and a whammy will do fine!

Haha I meant besides the obvious Whammy option, but I suppose you're right in saying it's pointless buying a synth just for a more realistic sounding MOTP sound. Is there anything else worth noting Matt uses the Clavia for? If i was to buy one, or something similar, what else would it be able to do, that would justify buying a synth?

Haha I meant besides the obvious Whammy option, but I suppose you're right in saying it's pointless buying a synth just for a more realistic sounding MOTP sound. Is there anything else worth noting Matt uses the Clavia for? If i was to buy one, or something similar, what else would it be able to do, that would justify buying a synth?

Its a synthesiser? So it'll do synth stuff.

But there are better options out there, if I was buying a hardware synth, the Nord wouldn't be anywhere near top of my list.