Matt has interview with fan

ryanp16

and no pyramids or bombs or massive stages

Never say never.

It actually won't surprise me if those gigs will be free (a board contest or something) but with a "mandatory" 20-30£ donation to the Helen Foundation.

We'll turn on each other like animals.

"Those who want to attend these gigs will need to have won at least one board award in the last 5 years"

:awesome:

If that were to happen I'm fairly certain you'd be the first one to die. Why? Because that's how it's supposed to be.

If they are doing this and bringing back really old stuff and making it board-only it's obvious they're doing it for the fans so they wouldn't make the tickets expensive and result in none of us being able to go.

lol

(Muse) fans would sell their grandmother in order to be able to go to a gig where rarities are possibly played.

Informal chat with Matthew Bellamy

It was past midnight when I felt like the gig was only half of the kind of experience I wanted from that night. Moved from the holy fire that the old good times of this band still mantain alive inside of me, I went to the hotel in which Muse were staying. It took a few tries to reach the goal (I'd explain how I did it only to boast with my friends), but the most important thing is that the moment Matthew Bellamy (yeah, him) saw me he recognized me and he want to say hi with another mojito in his hands.

At first I was expecting a really "formal" meet: greeting, photo, autograph, hello, goodbye... Nope.

We already met twice before, but this time there was no hurry, no flight to catch, instead we had all the calm we needed; we talked about everything for more than 45 minutes. At first I told him how much I appreciated, since I'm from Rome, that they chose to shoot a DVD in my city. And I asked him the reason of this choice. He replied that Rome was always a special city for them, and the band felt a strong desire to pay a tribute to all the italian fans. The Olympic Stadium was also perfect for the kind of shooting the band had in mind. Italy has always been in Muse's heart, they're aware of the warm welcome they always receive here. An example is the big number of tribute bands (among which Matt still remembers Muscle Museum, that same tribute band him and Dom nominated "official" a few years ago).

Since it wasn't an interview but a real chat, we got into a few topics after questions he made to me, showing how much Muse are still humble. Matt asks me and my friend if we liked the gig, and since I wanted to be as real as possible, I tell him that the show itself was fantastic, but that I expected different choices for the setlist. At that point I asked him his principles for choosing the setlists for every gig. Matt told me that when you do a stadium tour you more or less have to try and reach out for a larger portion of the audience, especially when you shoot a dvd, so they wanted to be sure that most of the audience was active during the big part of the gig (even though he was sorry about leaving out tracks like Dead Star and Bliss).

We let him know how much we appreciated the usual nod to Rage Against the Machine, though. Matt said that RATM are his favourite live band ever, and that everytime he sees them playing live he wants to quit. Then I asked him what was the song he was the most proud of having written. The reply pleasantly didn't surprise me, since he answered Butterflies & Hurricanes, saying that it's the song that better expresses the musical essence of Muse. Then he asked me what were my favourite songs; I don't have a real ranking, but a number of tracks I rate at the same level for many reasons. He was surprised to hear that my favourite song was Megalomania (followed by Dead Star, then Fury and Citizen Erased).

He was surprised by Megalomania and he told me that it's a dark song and a bit too weird to be played often, so it needs to be saved for special occasions (just like that time at the Royal Albert Hall, with the real church organ).

I also added that, from the last few tracks, I felt a close bound with Follow Me for personal reasons, even though I knew it was a song he wrote for his son. At this point I'm not sure what happened, maybe after seeing me as an "old fan extremist" that revelation about Follow Me touched him, because after that he started telling me the real obscure story behind the meaning of the song. His first born Bingham had health problems in his first days of life (it might be known, it might not), but he told me how he actually felt in those hard days, and I can't deny that it was really moving.

We moved to lighter subjects, and maybe I start being influenced by job conditioning in my questions. There wasn't a really better moment to ask if what Dom said a while ago about the club tour for the 20th anniversary of the band (1994-2014) was real or not.

Matt told me they're thinking about it, even though nothing is sure at the moment, because the idea fascinates them a lot but there are a few important details that they need to be sure about.

First of all the audience will have to be really selected, since we're talking about a handful of gigs in clubs (capacity is a few hundreds each) all around Teignmouth. And the setlists would go way back in their catalogue, up to the really first tracks, reason why the band wants to be sure that everyone in the audience would be enjoying it.

Personally, the simple fact that Muse nowadays feel the need to do that, after the profitable "mainstream" turn that resulted in a group of fans calling them "traitors", makes me proud. Even though Matt jokingly said that singing cheesy songs in front of many girls is not that bad... At that point I said "Well yeah... Better many girls than a bunch of nerd and hipsters at Radiohead gigs", and he burst out laughing in one of those laughs typical of him.

Everything was ready for the big question: if they already had any ideas about the new album. Matt said that there are always ideas, even though the ones that come out while touring often get discarded and drastically changed. The example is Follow Me, born as a happy guitar version, which later moved to a quite dark and electronic direction. Right now the common desire is to get back to being a real trio, just like the old times, getting rid of the electronica, but not necessarily going backwards in their sound or style, but just from the composition/arrangement point of view. Basically songs written to be performed just as a trio.

Knowing about how his personal life and relationships always had a main role in his inspiration, I ask Matt if his girlfriend Kate Hudson loves his music. Meanwhile I have to let you know that Kate (she had a few drinks down already as well) was doing an "exhibition" a few metres away from us, singing classic-rock tunes (Led Zeppelin, Guns 'n Roses) from her smartphone. Matt chuckling said she likes a few things and that her favourite song is Guiding Light, but that she has similar tastes to mine (I'm an admirer of late 60's- early 70's music, as I previously told him).

At that point I felt the need to let him know that when I knew about their relationship I was pleasantly shocked. Matthew Bellamy, the hero of my youth, engaging Kate Hudson, the main character in Almost Favmous (one of my favourite movies, since I'm an aspiring music journalist)...

It was also crazy being there living this magic hybrid between interview and informal chat, just like we were old friends, just like in the movie, while she was singing a few metres away from us.

Dreaming is easy and who knows, maybe next time we'll meet Matt, while convinced to jump in a pool from the roof of a building, will shout to me "And you can tell Rolling Stone magazine that my last words were... " @MrNickMatt (twitter)