Adventures in Chrome

hooglebug

well it just hasnt been working at all. i've been so pissed off you have no idea. im glad no one else was around lets put it that way.

this corner is the only bit that actually looked good. the rest looked like shit (in terms of being a chrome finish, i thought it actually looked pretty cool)

DSC_0779_zps18216e8e.jpg

after speaking with the guy who i got the paint from, he seems to think there must be a contaminant somewhere in the system. so unfortunately, im going to have to strip it back and respray the black to make sure whatever it is has gone, then he's going to send me some pre-mixed stuff so he knows there's nothing in there that shouldnt be.

it could be either a bad batch of sensitiser solution, or when im heating it theres something in the microwave thats contaminating it. either way, its going to take longer than it should had it worked fine in the first place. which is a bastard. but its better to be good than crap.

also, if you'll note in the pic, where it is good, its a hell of a lot flatter than sims managed!

Promising indeed. Though if it was down to contamination would there be one area that worked well like that and no where else? Wouldn't it all be the same?

who knows. theres nothing else it can be. we went through everything, he was asking me about every step, every sprayer, everything. because of the things its doing it can only be the sensitiser apparently, so it must be something with that. why it works on little bits he doesnt know.

as soon as the silver goes on it reacts to something. im not over spraying it which would make it go white, its as soon as it goes on, theres white bits, gold bits, bits that look like water marks which really shouldnt happen. hopefully it will get sorted with the next try

everything i used came with the kit. as he said its either something in the sensitiser that was already there, or something that has got into it since i've had it, or something that has got onto the base coat without me knowing as i certainly havent touched it. but if someone was spraying some weedkiller or something and the wind got hold of it who knows

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm starting to think all the abuse i've given SIMS over the year was uncalled for. Seems like the problem could be more with the products themselves rather than with the application?

That said, there's no excuse for handing over a finished item with a sub standard finish. If the problem is with the product then it's got to be down to the supplier/manufacturer to pay for the refinish, not the customer or the sprayer. ?

the paint was from somewhere else. what they do is ridiculously expensive, and its just 2k paint, so i got some where i always get my paint. it was just a bad batch for some reason. somewhere like sims would probably get all the proper spray equipment too, rather than the atomiser bottles that i have to use, so it would be a lot easier to apply.

and the problem was with how they applied the base coat and top coat. ie: with not enough care. there was awful orange peel in both, and huge bits of dust sticking up out of the top coat. they hadnt flatted or polished it or anything. and these are people who just spray guitars all day long. for them to not be able to get a flatter finish than that is terrible.

i just got a new gun, and on the tests i did with it i got pretty damn flat, so if i can do it in my dusty garage, surely they can do it in their air filtration system equipped spray booth

• 1 month later...

getting cold I'm guessing. Had any luck at this point?

If you won't be able to do mine anytime soon, maybe we can forget the refinish (it is a lovely shade of red...) and just install the new pickups and put the new neck on. Really want to hear what these sound like.